Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone been keeping up with Cedric Ogbuehi?
Usually when young Bengals players improve, Marvin and the writers cant wait to ridetheir jock and proclaim them as promising stars.

Have I just not been looking because iv heard zero info about Cedric's progression. Did he change positions? Was he hurt? Has he looked good in camp?

Seems like a guy people were so high on has disappeared from conversations.

HAs anyone been keeping up with him lately?
Reply/Quote
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-BENGALS-BLOCKING?pid=400429#pid400429

Quote:Reports out of mini camp were that Og was the only OL that could block Lawson with any consistency. That would seem to indicate that nobody currently on the roster is taking his spot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2017, 05:45 PM)treee Wrote: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-BENGALS-BLOCKING?pid=400429#pid400429

So either our o line is pure trash and Dalton is dead, or Lawson is just JJ Watt

Who wants to guess on this one? lol
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2017, 05:53 PM)Housh Wrote: So either our o line is pure trash and Dalton is dead, or Lawson is just JJ Watt

Who wants to guess on this one? lol

Little of both.... Lawson has been getting Praise all offseason...

Ogbuehi Also has been looking much better.   Last article I saw said he things the full healthy offseason is really helping him to get where he needs to be
Reply/Quote
been doing MMA training....stronger....better balance....full time at left tackle.......looks great.........

so says Hobs on Bengals.com
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2017, 05:42 PM)Housh Wrote: Usually when young Bengals players improve, Marvin and the writers cant wait to ridetheir jock and proclaim them as promising stars.

Have I just not been looking because iv heard zero info about Cedric's progression. Did he change positions? Was he hurt? Has he looked good in camp?

WHOOOOO?

Reply/Quote
Dude can only go up from here. He'll improve slightly but not enough to secure his position next season. OL Round 1 next year's draft.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2017, 05:42 PM)Housh Wrote: Usually when young Bengals players improve, Marvin and the writers cant wait to ridetheir jock and proclaim them as promising stars.

Have you not been looking, because just about every other story I read about off season training involves Ced....
Reply/Quote
I don't really care what's written about Ogbuehi during the offseason. I won't buy any of it until I see him on the field.

Otherwise I would be like the people who ate up the stories every offseason about how great Hunt looked, and how strong he was, and how he went back to his Olympic training regimine, etc. "Double digit sacks!" "Monster breakout season!" they all said. Or how about Dennard's rookie offseason? "Best rookie corner I have ever seen." - Marvin Lewis.... lol

I will make my judgement once the regular season starts.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 09:55 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't really care what's written about Ogbuehi during the offseason. I won't buy any of it until I see him on the field.

Otherwise I would be like the people who ate up the stories every offseason about how great Hunt looked, and how strong he was, and how he went back to his Olympic training regimine, etc. "Double digit sacks!" "Monster breakout season!" they all said. Or how about Dennard's rookie offseason? "Best rookie corner I have ever seen." - Marvin Lewis.... lol

I will make my judgement once the regular season starts.

I think it is logical to wait and see with your own eyes as long as you will be objective when the lights come on. I don't think it is logical to ignore the fact without an injury in a bowl game, Ced is a top 5 pick by all the draft experts. Year 1 we knew he would not be ready. Year 2 he was not ready for OTA's and not 100% when camp started. This is the first year Ced has been available for everything so also logical to eliminate old tapes (major injuries take time to heal) of Ced and give him a chance versus immediately going to this guy sucks mode as some fans seem to do in this forum.

I also believe in addition too MMA training, he picked up some muscle weight as did Jake Fisher. These 2 OT's were drafted for the future and the future is now. Let's give them a shot, they are still both only in year 3 of the NFL.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 10:06 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think it is logical to wait and see with your own eyes as long as you will be objective when the lights come on. I don't think it is logical to ignore the fact without an injury in a bowl game, Ced is a top 5 pick by all the draft experts. Year 1 we knew he would not be ready. Year 2 he was not ready for OTA's and not 100% when camp started. This is the first year Ced has been available for everything so also logical to eliminate old tapes (major injuries take time to heal) of Ced and give him a chance versus immediately going to this guy sucks mode as some fans seem to do in this forum.

I also believe in addition too MMA training, he picked up some muscle weight as did Jake Fisher. These 2 OT's were drafted for the future and the future is now. Let's give them a shot, they are still both only in year 3 of the NFL.

All the draft "experts" are pretty shitty at their jobs, man. Even more so at top OL talent.

Ronnie Stanley and Laramy Tunsil were both rated ahead of Jack Conklin (1st team All-Pro) in 2016.
Wasn't Greg Robinson in 2014 a can't miss kind of guy?
In 2013 you had Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, and Lane Johnson going 1, 2, 4 and were considered to be real great. Meanwhile people laughed at the Cowboys for "reaching" for Travis Frederick at 31.
2009 was a pretty big fail year, too... Jason Smith and Andre Smith going 2 and 6.

Cedric Ogbuehi was legitimately the worst tackle I have ever seen play in my life, last year.. and I have watched Dennis Roland. Major injuries do take time to heal, which is why I forgave his entire 2015 rookie season. He had like 2 years between his bowl game injury and the 2016 season, and was the worst I have ever seen.

Reply/Quote
The comment about Lawson being a stud shouldn't surprise people. His issue has never been talent it has been health. Many people had him projected as a late first round pick, but apparently the injury concerns scared off a lot of teams. I really think as a situational pass rusher he could have a really good rookie year.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 10:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: All the draft "experts" are pretty shitty at their jobs, man. Even more so at top OL talent.

Ronnie Stanley and Laramy Tunsil were both rated ahead of Jack Conklin (1st team All-Pro) in 2016.
In 2013 you had Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, and Lane Johnson going 1, 2, 4 and were considered to be real great. Meanwhile people laughed at the Cowboys for "reaching" for Travis Frederick at 31.
2009 was a pretty big fail year, too... Jason Smith and Andre Smith going 2 and 6.

Cedric Ogbuehi was legitimately the worst tackle I have ever seen play in my life, last year.. and I have watched Dennis Roland. Major injuries do take time to heal, which is why I forgave his entire 2015 rookie season. He had like 2 years between his bowl game injury and the 2016 season, and was the worst I have ever seen.

Ill give Ced one more year and if he sucks then im ready to move on. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 12:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ill give Ced one more year and if he sucks then im ready to move on. 

My biggest problem of giving Ogbuehi two years of atrocious starting is that you can't afford to just put truly atrocious players out there and hope they figure things out, on an otherwise fairly talented team.

Last year the Bengals were a RT, C, and K away from having a team that could theoretically compete for a SB (provided Marvin didn't Marvin in the playoffs). I think they're going to have the exact same issues again, but now includes a LT and a RG.

Wasting so many prime years of players and wasting this window they had is a crime. New England goes out and gets a Revis, Cooks, Gilmore. Atlanta goes out and gets a Alex Mack. Denver goes out and gets a Talib, Sanders, etc.

The Bengals let their two best OL go on an already weak OL and get a bad Andre Smith, and not even for a position he's played before.

- - - - - - - - - -
EDIT ADDITION:

The biggest problem with this "give him one more year" thing is say he plays like he does last year and costs the Bengals 3-4 wins and Dalton's health.

Now you're looking at 2018 as probably being your last year of possible contention. Burfict is a FA after 2017, so is Eifert. After 2018 both Atkins and Dunlap are FA. Good luck fielding a competitive defense with no Atkins and Dunlap.

You're also wasting the prime years of your big talent. In 2018, Atkins will be 30. Dunlap will be 29, Green will be 30, Dalton will be 31, Burfict will be 28 (his play style ensures he won't age well), Eifert will be 28, Boling will be 29, Iloka will be 28, Kirkpatrick will be 29, etc.

Reply/Quote
I've been doing a lot of praying. Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 12:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: My biggest problem of giving Ogbuehi two years of atrocious starting is that you can't afford to just put truly atrocious players out there and hope they figure things out, on an otherwise fairly talented team.

Last year the Bengals were a RT, C, and K away from having a team that could theoretically compete for a SB (provided Marvin didn't Marvin in the playoffs). I think they're going to have the exact same issues again, but now includes a LT and a RG.

Wasting so many prime years of players and wasting this window they had is a crime. New England goes out and gets a Revis, Cooks, Gilmore. Atlanta goes out and gets a Alex Mack. Denver goes out and gets a Talib, Sanders, etc.

The Bengals let their two best OL go on an already weak OL and get a bad Andre Smith, and not even for a position he's played before.

- - - - - - - - - -
EDIT ADDITION:

The biggest problem with this "give him one more year" thing is say he plays like he does last year and costs the Bengals 3-4 wins and Dalton's health.

Now you're looking at 2018 as probably being your last year of possible contention. Burfict is a FA after 2017, so is Eifert. After 2018 both Atkins and Dunlap are FA. Good luck fielding a competitive defense with no Atkins and Dunlap.

You're also wasting the prime years of your big talent. In 2018, Atkins will be 30. Dunlap will be 29, Green will be 30, Dalton will be 31, Burfict will be 28 (his play style ensures he won't age well), Eifert will be 28, Boling will be 29, Iloka will be 28, Kirkpatrick will be 29, etc.

Being fair, nothing slams the window of contending shut faster than overpaying players and signing aging players on the edge of the proverbial cliff to lucrative long term deals.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 02:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: Being fair, nothing slams the window of contending shut faster than overpaying players and signing aging players on the edge of the proverbial cliff to lucrative long term deals.

Out of the 6 players I listed (Revis, Cooks, Gilmore, Mack, Talib, Sanders) only 1 of them could have been considered aging on a long term deal, and that's Mack. I'm sure the Falcons aren't regretting it as their running game was great and they went to the Super Bowl last year. Revis was 29 in New England, but it was essentially a 1 year deal, and they won the SB.

I guess I mentioned Talib and Sanders, but didn't mention Manning, who was old and signed a lucrative long term deal, but they went to two SBs with him, winning one. So I feel they made the right choice there.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 02:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Out of the 6 players I listed (Revis, Cooks, Gilmore, Mack, Talib, Sanders) only 1 of them could have been considered aging on a long term deal, and that's Mack. I'm sure the Falcons aren't regretting it as their running game was great and they went to the Super Bowl last year. Revis was 29 in New England, but it was essentially a 1 year deal, and they won the SB.

I guess I mentioned Talib and Sanders, but didn't mention Manning, who was old and signed a lucrative long term deal, but they went to two SBs with him, winning one. So I feel they made the right choice there.

I was referring to Whit and Zeitler, however.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 10:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: All the draft "experts" are pretty shitty at their jobs, man. Even more so at top OL talent.

Come on man stick to the facts. He was hurt around Jan.1 of 2015 so he only had 17 months and not 2 years to be ready for OTA's last year and 19 months for training camp.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 08:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  
Come on man stick to the facts. He was hurt around Jan.1 of 2015 so he only had 17 months and not 2 years to be ready for OTA's last year and 19 months for training camp.

19 months for training camp, so how many months for Week 1? 21.5?

Sorry I exaggerated so much that I called 21.5 months 24. Clearly THAT is why he was so terrible even in late December/early Jan 2016, 24 months after his injury.

Reply/Quote