Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone do the DNA ancestry thing?
Seems kinda cool. I don't think I'm going to find out I'm 25% black like the youtube girl LOL , but it would be interesting to see how close what I told I am is to what I really am.

If you have, is there a place you recommend?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 05:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Seems kinda cool.  I don't think I'm going to find out I'm 25% black like the youtube girl LOL , but it would be interesting to see how close what I told I am is to what I really am.  

If you have, is there a place you recommend?

We did 23andMe, which I recommend. If you have their analysis done, there is another site where they can do an analysis of genetic disposition to certain medical conditions. I found that I have issues with Vitamin B & D absorption, which can be remedied easily enough with diet changes.

My personal ancestry was pretty close to what I was told, but the origination was a surprise: the Lapp people in northern Scandinavia, arriving here via England, Scotland and France.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 07:08 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: We did 23andMe, which I recommend. If you have their analysis done, there is another site where they can do an analysis of genetic disposition to certain medical conditions. I found that I have issues with Vitamin B & D absorption, which can be remedied easily enough with diet changes.

My personal ancestry was pretty close to what I was told, but the origination was a surprise: the Lapp people in northern Scandinavia, arriving here via England, Scotland and France.

That’s like north of the Vikings isn’t it? They made a decent bow (Sami)if memory serves me and historical fiction hasn’t lied to me.

I’m supposed to be about 1/4 Irish and 3/4 German with maybe some French. My maternal grandfathers people come from that little area that’s been tossed back and forth between Germany and France about 100 times. Can’t remember the name.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Oh and speaking of Finland, a friend of mine’s 14 year old daughter is in Finland right now. She said it’s fine but her hosts don’t speak English very well. He told her to use Siri to help translate, and she said she doesn’t need a translator, they need to learn English.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 08:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That’s like north of the Vikings isn’t it?  They made a decent bow (Sami)if memory serves me and historical fiction hasn’t lied to me.

I’m supposed to be about 1/4 Irish and 3/4 German with maybe some French. My maternal grandfathers people come from that little area that’s been tossed back and forth between Germany and France about 100 times. Can’t remember the name.

(03-12-2018, 08:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh and speaking of Finland, a friend of mine’s 14 year old daughter is in Finland right now. She said it’s fine but her hosts don’t speak English very well. He told her to use Siri to help translate, and she said she doesn’t need a translator, they need to learn English.

Yes, indeed! The Sami people. I guess they are my homies.

Maybe your folks were from Alsace-Lorraine. France and Germany fought over that a lot. My French ancestor was a Huguenot who moved to Scotland. Who knows, maybe he ran into my MacKenzie ancestors while he was there. Speaking of Scots, did you ever see the "Scottish Scene" from Mad Men?

Laughing at your dottir's (see what I did there!) response! "What the heck! No English!! This is Europe after all!"

English is pretty common through most of Europe now. I'd wager about 70% of the people I met in Europe speak a decent amount of English.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 08:19 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yes, indeed! The Sami people. I guess they are my homies.

Laughing at your dottir's (see what I did there!) response! "What the heck! No English!! This is Europe after all!"

English is pretty common through most of Europe now. I'd wager about 70% of the people I met in Europe speak a decent amount of English.

So being a descendant of people from the coldest part of the world, you naturally live in AZ.

Just to clarify it was my friends daughter. My daughter would have actually told the hosts they needed to speak better English. LOL

Yes Alsace Lorraine. I always think Saint something that’s why I can’t ever remember it.

I’ve seen all the Mad Men but I don’t recall that.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 08:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So being a descendant of people from the coldest part of the world, you naturally live in AZ.

Just to clarify it was my friends daughter. My daughter would have actually told the hosts they needed to speak better English. LOL

Yes Alsace Lorraine. I always think Saint something that’s why I can’t ever remember it.

I’ve seen all the Mad Men but I don’t recall that.

I laugh every time I see this scene:

Even today, some people in the U.S. still think this way. My brother got thrown out of a class when he told the teacher, Dr. Campbell, that his ancestor's were MacKenzies...LOL!
Reply/Quote
I have not, but my brother in law bought 23 and me. He traced my paternal side back to Luxembourg in the 1800s (Five brothers and a sister came to America on the same ship), and even traced further back to find our family in Switzerland in the 1700s. They have even communicated on line with another enclave that ventured to France at one point, and have a branch of the family established there.

On my maternal side, not quite as certain. But, I do know my maternal Grandfather came from France, and my maternal Grandmother was Canadian and Native mix.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I am 2.7% Neandarthal. That seems kind of high.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 09:33 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I am 2.7% Neandarthal. That seems kind of high.

If that’s your pic, I’d say it seems a little low. LOL

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 09:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If that’s your pic, I’d say it seems a little low.  LOL

Shots fired from someone hiding behind their love for the 1 and done team! Lol
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 10:00 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Shots fired from someone hiding behind their love for the 1 and done team! Lol

Hmmm...seems funny. But wait don’t we root for the same team? How am I hiding? How does one and done hide me? Maybe I should just lol it and move on. No I won’t be able to sleep. Hiding. What am I hiding? Wait I commented on his pic. What do I have there?. Ohhhhhhhhhhh. (Elapsed time 5 minutes)

Reply/Quote
If you saw me at games you'd wonder if I'm rooting or hating, lol.
Reply/Quote
Not to change the subject ,but if you like great crime fiction and don't mind reading subtitles check out MHz Choice for some really great movies and series .
I'm fairly certain someone will make the claim that the Scandinavian countries are the most crime ridden places on earth based on the fictional depictions in the movies and books .
For 8 bucks a month it's worth it to me . MHz carries material from all over Europe. I watch through Roku.. 
http://mhzchoice.com

My dad's side of the family is German and French . Mom's side is a bit more complicated being my grandmother was abandoned on a doorstep as a baby and my grandfather was mostly Cherokee although that hasn't been verified and probably never will be .
Once I get past my grandparents it's pretty much a blank slate . They were mostly people who came to the "new world"  in steerage back when it was not uncommon for the entire family to be illiterate so family surnames were often completely misspelled.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
have always wanted to do DNA thing and will check into 23 and me

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I am 4% Nephilim.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 08:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That’s like north of the Vikings isn’t it?  They made a decent bow (Sami)if memory serves me and historical fiction hasn’t lied to me.

Alsace - Lorraine ! 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 03:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am 4% Nephilim.

So you’re just a normal sized crappy human?

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 04:45 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: So you’re just a normal sized crappy human?

The 4% is in my pants.
Reply/Quote
Got the Ancestry deal for Christmas. Turns out I'm even more European Caucasian than I expected. Disappointing, really.

The cool thing about Ancestry is it ties in with any genealogy work you've done on their site and points you to people that you are probably related to...I recommend it.
Reply/Quote