Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone done any pre season scouting work on potential nose tackles yet?
I like scouting on my own when I’m bored. Does anyone have any names to look at that project to be there around picks 25-32?

I feel like a true game changer NT will never make it to our pick so replacing Reader is going to be a task.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I'm working on my summer scouting and just about have my pre-season 5 round Bengals mocks done.

Spoiler: I have Dontay Corleone from Cincy and Nazir Stackhouse from Georgia in my 2 mocks I'm working on (One with Tee resign one without). While not much tape to watch a 3rd name to look at is Tyleik Williams from Ohio State.

The 2024 draft class looks like it will be the best class since 2021. Especially if you need a OT or DT and the Bengals will most likely need both.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2023, 04:01 PM)Housh Wrote: I like scouting on my own when I’m bored. Does anyone have any names to look at that project to be there around picks 25-32?

I feel like a true game changer NT will never make it to our pick so replacing Reader is going to be a task.

Honestly, if you're looking for a true NT, most of those guys don't get drafted very high.  A true NT usually gets downgraded in the draft process because teams generally view them as only run stuffers.

There have been some exceptions (Jordan Davis, Dexter Lawrence), but you could probably start your search by looking at the size of the guys and going from there.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2023, 04:01 PM)Housh Wrote: I like scouting on my own when I’m bored. Does anyone have any names to look at that project to be there around picks 25-32?

Good question, this is definitely the position besides OL once again that I am looking at next Draft early.

(08-07-2023, 04:50 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm working on my summer scouting and just about have my pre-season 5 round Bengals mocks done.

Spoiler: I have Dontay Corleone from Cincy and Nazir Stackhouse from Georgia in my 2 mocks I'm working on (One with Tee resign one without). While not much tape to watch a 3rd name to look at is Tyleik Williams from Ohio State.

The 2024 draft class looks like it will be the best class since 2021. Especially if you need a OT or DT and the Bengals will most likely need both.

Great to know on the Draft class, good for us. Both OT and DT needs to be addressed and addressed very well.

(08-08-2023, 08:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Honestly, if you're looking for a true NT, most of those guys don't get drafted very high.  A true NT usually gets downgraded in the draft process because teams generally view them as only run stuffers.

There have been some exceptions (Jordan Davis, Dexter Lawrence), but you could probably start your search by looking at the size of the guys and going from there.

Very true on NT's we can find a good one at 32. Thank God, we need a NT to replace DJ Reader soon even if we extend him.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 08:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Honestly, if you're looking for a true NT, most of those guys don't get drafted very high.  A true NT usually gets downgraded in the draft process because teams generally view them as only run stuffers.

Yep DJ Reader was a 5th rounder himself, and look how good he's been as a run-stuffing NT.
With that said, most NTs really aren't much of a pass rushing threat at all, and pass rush threats are what typically go early.
The highest-drafted NT I can think of in recent memory is Vita Vea, who went 12th overall in 2018.
He's about as well-rounded of a NT as you can hope for - massive wall in the run game and gets a good amount of pass rush from the NT position.

I would say though that we want to look for run stuffing ability first for NT and pass rush is a luxury.
If there's a NT who can offer both, I'm willing to go after that guy within the first few rounds.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 11:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep DJ Reader was a 5th rounder himself, and look how good he's been as a run-stuffing NT.
With that said, most NTs really aren't much of a pass rushing threat at all, and pass rush threats are what typically go early.
The highest-drafted NT I can think of in recent memory is Vita Vea, who went 12th overall in 2018.
He's about as well-rounded of a NT as you can hope for - massive wall in the run game and gets a good amount of pass rush from the NT position.

I would say though that we want to look for run stuffing ability first for NT and pass rush is a luxury.
If there's a NT who can offer both, I'm willing to go after that guy within the first few rounds.

I think you could make the argument that Jordan Davis and Dexter Lawrence were drafted as NT.  I think Davis would be a better fit at 3T.
Reply/Quote
I like Tim Smith out of Alabama as an early Day 3 pick.
I really like his power and his ability to sniff out ball carriers in the run game.
He is a former wrestler.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote