Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else hate SB parties?
I spend a whole season committed to watching my teams game and other teams games. Paying attention to what’s happening around the league, studying stats and analysis and arguing with other fans about our shared interest.

At the end of the season I would rather watch the SB on my phone in a room by myself so I can actually pay attention to what’s going on instead of a room full of people how don’t care and talk through the whole damn thing. I don’t give a flying flip about the dumb commercials or the bad half time show that’s clearly not aimed at the nfls target audience but rather at the people that watch this one game each year. I hate the ‘passionate’ fan that shows up wearing his team jersey talking about how great his qb is but can’t name one other player on the team. This really hard to swallow as I live in New England and have to deal with fans that never cheered for this team till after the second SB win.

Ive been invited to a couple SB parties this year. Im not going to either.

I’m saying home and watching it alone. What are you doing?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 09:24 AM)motoarch Wrote: I’m saying home and watching it alone.  What are you doing?

Playing Persona 5.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Depends on who’s there. If it’s family, I don’t mind. But otherwise I don’t really go to parties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I'm able to tune people out rather well.....lol. So I don't mind it. Really, I don't care enough about the other teams to need to pay that much attention to it. If the Bengals were in it, I would be with the few Bengals fans around me, and we'd watch it. I like being around my friends, eating some good food, and kicking back. Of course, it helps that the parties we used to go to were attended by more than just casual fans. Most are actually watching the game.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Unless it's just a small gathering of family or close friends, I prefer to watch at home with my wife. Plenty of good food, drinks, and no making small talk with some bozo that I really don't like..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I went to them in my younger days, and most were replete with all the destractions you discussed. But, that seemed like part of the fun. Trying all the different foods folks brought, commiserating on losing the office football pool, etc. But, I guess at this point, I'm just at an age where I'd rather be snug in my home come 6:30 on a Sunday night in winter.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Enjoy them personally.

Always drove up to atend the West Carrollton VFW posts SB party every year when my father was alive.

Really miss those days.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Every SB party i've ever went to had tons of food and drinks and people that were interested in the game, as well as the commercials. Never been to one where anyone was a distraction to the game itself.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I don't mind going to them, I'm usually not that into the game anyways. Now when the Bengals are in it again that will be a different story.
Reply/Quote
This year's Super Bowl is going to be a carbon copy of two years ago, when the other team (then the Falcons and this year the Rams) jumps out early and then Tommy Boy saves the day by throwing a few late TD's and winning either at the end of regulation or on the first drive in OT, just like the ALCS or against the Falcons. The game is in Atlanta, ironically. I'd almost be willing to bet $1,000.00 on that.

The commercials are just stupid. Apple is getting really desperate and they're probably going to unveil something nauseating. Between all this I'm probably going to be doing something else that day although I will check to see if I would have won the bet.
Reply/Quote
I really enjoy SB parties. I have hosted a Super Bowl party for the last 3 years and will be doing so again this year. It's a small festival of several friends, great food, loads of drinking and tons of laughter. It's called a party for a reason and to me that doesn't mean eating cheese and crackers, drinking bottled water and complaining about the officiating or crappy commercials. :)

Since the Bengals are not in it, there is no reason to really care or take it serious and the party must go on. I work my own hours and most of my friends have the day off the Monday after the Super Bowl so plenty of time to rest and recover. So instead it is a celebration of the end of the NFL season. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 10:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm able to tune people out rather well.....lol.  

You must have a lot of people that complain in your life. I do it to. I'm pretty excellent. When it comes a wife in menopause, I AM KING! Although, I am a good husband. She will tell you herself (after 5 minutes of telling you everything in the world and under the sun of what I fail at in marriage).  Hilarious
(01-24-2019, 09:54 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Enjoy them personally.

Always drove up to atend the West Carrollton VFW posts SB party every year when my father was alive.

Really miss those days.

I miss the super bowl chili cook offs at the VFW. I never won any of them but it was fun. VFW is a cool place to chill with really grounded brothers that have a different outlook on life. I've been a lifetime member for 25yrs. The "missing soldiers table" doesnt mean a lot to a guest. However, I find myself staring sometimes, by myself, in imagination of the story of who could have been sitting there, but sacrificed his position for the love of God, Family and fellow soldier.  Sad

The last SB party I attended was when Matt Light was playing with the Patriots (Matt is a hometown kid, well, was when I lived in Greenville. Now I live in Curtis Enis hometown where I grew up and went to school with his older brother) and it was a blast. It's been several years. I did get to meet him when I was Sr. Vice Commander of the VFW, and several players from other teams were with him for a charity. Watched them play poker in a private room we had and also he invited me to the bar, which I went, and conversed with several of the players. He let my ex where his SB ring for a few minutes. Glad he didn't know her like I did or he wouldn't have done it. LOL HO!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 07:49 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I really enjoy SB parties.  I have hosted a Super Bowl party for the last 3 years and will be doing so again this year. 
I hope it turns out well. I used to have a lot of parties and it was cool. Usually started around 1-2pm with a few hours of texas holdem before game. It was fun. Enjoy.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 08:29 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I hope it turns out well. I used to have a lot of parties and it was cool. Usually started around 1-2pm with a few hours of texas holdem before game. It was fun. Enjoy.

Thanks, I'm sure it will be fun as always. I have plenty of room for my guests to crash when it is all said and done and the others without a designated driver will take an Uber home. For those that remain at my place, Monday breakfast will include: bacon, eggs, corned beef hash and bloody marys. The ultimate hangover food and drinks. :)

Given that I'm hosting and probably drinking much more than my guests I might need a few more days to recover. :)

Anyway, cheers to the end of another NFL season once the Super Bowl is said and done. Since it doesn't involve the Bengals aside from officially naming our new head coach after the game, we might as well enjoy it as much as possible. Prost!

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 09:06 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Thanks, I'm sure it will be fun as always. I have plenty of room for my guests to crash when it is all said and done and the others without a designated driver will take an Uber home. For those that remain at my place, Monday breakfast will include: bacon, eggs, corned beef hash and bloody marys. The ultimate hangover food and drinks. :)

Given that I'm hosting and probably drinking much more than my guests I might need a few more days to recover.  :)

Anyway, cheers to the end of another NFL season once the Super Bowl is said and done.  Since it doesn't involve the Bengals aside from officially naming our new head coach after the game, we might as well enjoy it as much as possible.  Prost!

Uber and Paypal are two of the greatest inventions of the internet age. 
Reply/Quote
Just depends on who's playing. Of course, during the Bengals' Super Bowl appearances, if someone distracted me they risked life and limb. And when it's 2 other teams playing, one of which I am pulling for, like TB during the Alstott days, or Minn. now that Zim's up there, I will watch the game closely, but don't really mind if other people are around. When 2 teams I really don't give a crap about are playing, I'd just as soon have friends around to eat and drink and have fun with while the game is more of a background thing.
Reply/Quote
My friends are mostly Steelers fans, so they haven't even watched the SB in years. Hehe...go Pats!
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 06:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My friends are mostly Steelers fans, so they haven't even watched the SB in years. Hehe...go Pats!

You hang with Steeler fans?

[Image: hercules-punching-hades.gif]

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 08:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You hang with Steeler fans?

[Image: hercules-punching-hades.gif]

I'm from outside of Pittsburgh, so I can only control my own fandom and not that of others.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 08:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm from outside of Pittsburgh, so I can only control my own fandom and not that of others.

Great Scott! Don’t worry buddy, On my way to help you get new friends.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote