Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else hate SB parties?
Depends on who the people at the party are and how interested in the game I am. I watched the Saints Colts Superbowl at a college party and was miserable. I've had a party with a small group of friends and it was awesome. Past year just had my neighbors over and it was great.

This year my mother, (pregnant) wife and sister are taking a trip to the Bahamas this week. My ma scheduled their return for 9 p.m. the night of the Superbowl, and I live about 2 hours from Kennedy airport in New York. Debating between listening on the radio or arriving hella early to the airport and watching on the phone.
Reply/Quote
I watched last year's game with a bunch of Eagles fans. It was cool to watch them as their team pulled it off... Fathers and sons hugging each other as if a lifelong goal had finally been realized. Then I thought to myself, too bad that'll never happen for me. Even if the Bengals do pull one off, my dad, who introduced me to them quit the NFL over the national anthem thing... Oh well. Such is life.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I went to one where someone rented a room in a restaurant. We ordered a crap ton of appetizers plus you could order off the menu. I had a pretty good time. But that's the only one I've ever been to. I'm not just a loser on these boards ya know.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 08:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You must have a lot of people that complain in your life. I do it to. I'm pretty excellent. When it comes a wife in menopause, I AM KING! Although, I am a good husband. She will tell you herself (after 5 minutes of telling you everything in the world and under the sun of what I fail at in marriage).  Hilarious

LOL.....I deal a lot with the public, so, there's your answer. LMAO

In my line of work, if everything goes smoothly, you never hear a word about it.....15 minutes late one time, and you'd think the apocalypse was upon us. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 11:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I went to one where someone rented a room in a restaurant.  We ordered a crap ton of appetizers plus you could order off the menu.  I had a pretty good time.  But that's the only one I've ever been to.  I'm not just  a loser on these boards ya know.

All but one time I've spent my SB evenings in either my or someone else's home.  Once, though, I did go to a SB party a nearby hotel was having.  It was 1992, and the Lions were going to the NFCCG, so I was amped to the see the game on a big screen and  I booked a couple of spots for me and a buddy.  Of course, the Lions choked in DC and Washington went to the SB.  But, we decided to go to the party, anyway.  

My takeaways were that big screen technology was dicey 27 years ago.  The food wasn't bad, though.  There was a pretty large room, and at halftime the room voted to forego the network halftime show and watch the alternate In Living Color halftime show instead, which I'm sure was much better.    

Now that I think of it, I also watched part of the GB/PIT SB at a Chinese restaurant because the future Mrs. Llama had a hankerin' for some General Tsao's that evening. Hey, livin' la vida loca.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Unless the Bengals are in the SB I don't pay a lot of attention to it other than when another AFCN team is in then for reasons of pure selfishness I MIGHT watch and root for them to get their asses beat, but they usually win so I try to not watch.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I've always had it at a house (generally mine/parents), however this year, we're hosting it at our place.

I'm making Cincinnati Chili (my second attempt; the first went VERY well) for my wife, since she is allergic to beans, my dad is making his (traditional) Chili, I'm making Flautas as an optional dish and then I'm making a thin pizza, for after halftime; we eat the other stuff, generally before the game.

Going to make Plantain Chips and Zucchini Chips (as a snack) and my wife is making Chocolate Mousse and Lemon Cheesecake, for dessert; there will be 8 of us and the chili always lasts us for the whole week, so there should be enough food, I think.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Last SB party I went to was 30 yrs ago. I was the only Bengals fan there and most, since I was in San Diego, were pulling for the 49ers. I prefer the solitude of my abode, where I don't have to get dressed and be nice to people I'd like to stick a fork in their eye.....
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 06:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Last SB party I went to was 30 yrs ago. I was the only Bengals fan there and most, since I was in San Diego, were pulling for the 49ers. I prefer the solitude of my abode, where I don't have to get dressed and be nice to people I'd like to stick a fork in their eye.....

This guy gets it.
Reply/Quote
If its a good SB party where there is good food, drinks, having a betting game like squares, yeah I definitely am in. It's once a year and I like to socialize and have a good time in general. Speaking of squares, I wont $500 one year at one party I didnt even know anyone at, just went along with couple of friends.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Most of my friends are Steelers fans and they were trying to busy themselves so they didn't have to watch the past 3 SBs, so meh...whatever. I'm amused the Pats won for that reason.

Odd thing is, jump back to the 90s and I was the only one who was sick of seeing the Chicago Bulls win while everyone around here decided they just loved that shartbag Jordan and his cronies. Ooooh we just NEVER get sick of seeing them win! The Patriots? Ugh, SO sick of seeing the same team win. BLARRRGH!!! etc.

It's just wacky, I guess.
Reply/Quote