Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Votto having great year.
Among players that have enough at bats to qualify Votto is second in the major leagues in on base percentage (.450, only 8 points behind Bryce Harper) and seventh in slugging percentage (.552). His OPS (on base % + Slug %) is third in the league (1.003, only 6 points behind 2nd place Paul Goldschmidt)

Votto's RBI numbers are down because the Reds don't have a lot of guys getting on base in front of him. Despite ranking 13th in both extra base hits and total bases Votto's 65 RBI are only good for 48th.

And his runs scored suffer because players behind him don't hit well with runners in scoring position. Despite being number one in the majors in getting on base (250 hits + base on balls + hit by pitcher) and running well enough to steal 8 bases Votto's 76 runs scored only rank 18th.

Great to see him producing among the elite and looking healthy.
Reply/Quote
Votto is having an MVP caliber year. Too badd Harper and Goldschmidt are just better and his team sucks.

1 of 3 players with an OPS over 1.000 (Harper and Goldschmidt)
1st in MLB in walks (111)
1 of 3 players with more walks than K's (Bautista and Brantley)
6th in MLB in WAR (6.1)
1 or 4 players in the MLB top 15 in AVG, OBP and SLG (Harper, Goldschmidt, Cruz)
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Among players that have enough at bats to qualify Votto is second in the major leagues in on base percentage (.450, only 8 points behind Bryce Harper) and seventh in slugging percentage (.552).  His OPS (on base % + Slug %) is third in the league (1.003, only 6 points behind 2nd place Paul Goldschmidt)

Votto's RBI numbers are down because the Reds don't have a lot of guys getting on base in front of him.  Despite ranking 13th in both extra base hits and total bases Votto's 65 RBI are only good for 48th.  

And his runs scored suffer because players behind him don't hit well with runners in scoring position. Despite being number one in the majors in getting on base (250 hits + base on balls + hit by pitcher) and running well enough to steal 8 bases Votto's 76 runs scored only rank 18th.

Great to see him producing among the elite and looking healthy.
Think of the kind of year it would be if people had to actually pitch to him night in, night out.  I didn't think he still had it in him but happily admit how wrong I was.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:58 PM)McC Wrote: Think of the kind of year it would be if people had to actually pitch to him night in, night out.  I didn't think he still had it in him but happily admit how wrong I was.

Can't believe the some of the criticism this guy gets.  When he's healthy you know he is going to hit the baseball at an elite level.  He's about the only sure thing on this team unfortunately.  Yes, nice to see that he's all the way back after injury.  Does baseball have a comeback player of the year award?  
Reply/Quote
Votto is now ahead of Goldschmidt in almost every category. Yet Goldy is getting serious MVP discussion despite his team being under .500 (the Reds are far more under .500, but still)

I never thought I'd say it, but Joey Votto is actually undervalued. And the last 6 weeks, he's literally been getting on based at a .525 clip. It's insanity just how good he is with nothing around him. Every night he's good for a 2 for 3 game with 2 walks, or maybe 1 for 3 with 2-3 walks or an extra base hit.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 02:20 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Votto is now ahead of Goldschmidt in almost every category.  Yet Goldy is getting serious MVP discussion despite his team being under .500 (the Reds are far more under .500, but still)

I never thought I'd say it, but Joey Votto is actually undervalued.  And the last 6 weeks, he's literally been getting on based at a .525 clip.  It's insanity just how good he is with nothing around him.  Every night he's good for a 2 for 3 game with 2 walks, or maybe 1 for 3 with 2-3 walks or an extra base hit.

Since the All Star break he has a .580 on base percentage.  That is just insane.  The league leader usually has around a .450 OB%.

He has also has a .730 slugging% since the break.  And that is also about 100 points higher than what the league leader usually has.

No one has had anything close to those numbers for a whole season since Bonds was in his prime.  But, of course, Votto has never done this for a whole season either.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 09:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since the All Star break he has a .580 on base percentage.  That is just insane.  The league leader usually has around a .450 OB%.

He has also has a .730 slugging% since the break.  And that is also about 100 points higher than what the league leader usually has.

No one has had anything close to those numbers for a whole season since Bonds was in his prime.  But, of course, Votto has never done this for a whole season either.

Well, with the Reds 30 games out of it, no need for opposing teams to pitch around, or walk Votto.  That kinda makes him like Corey Dillon on the 90s Bengal teams...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Just the opposite. The Reds ONLY chance to win is for Votto to dominate. He's walked an insane amount of times since the break. Teams are NOT trying to pitch to him and he's still batting, slugging and OBP'ing at the top of the majors.
Reply/Quote