Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone ever been to the Azores?
For me it seems like heaven on earth  even though I've never been there.. 50-80° F year around, beautiful scenery all over the place and far enough away from the rest of the insane world to suit me the rest of my natural born life and a much lower cost of living..
I keep thinking I might just take my tools, hop a flight and resettle somewhere on one of the small islands..

Crap..I'd have to go to Paris to apply for emigration .. they moved that process there for some EU reason.. I'll tell em my great grandfather was an illegal immigrant from the Azores so deport me there!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds great. I've never been there either. I'd say it's probably north enough to be out of major hurricanes.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 02:45 AM)grampahol Wrote: For me it seems like heaven on earth  even though I've never been there.. 50-80° F year around, beautiful scenery all over the place and far enough away from the rest of the insane world to suit me the rest of my natural born life and a much lower cost of living..
I keep thinking I might just take my tools, hop a flight and resettle somewhere on one of the small islands..

Crap..I'd have to go to Paris to apply for emigration .. they moved that process there for some EU reason.. I'll tell em my great grandfather was an illegal immigrant from the Azores so deport me there!

I have been to the Madeira Islands just to the southeast and it's beautiful.  Also to the Canary Islands south of those.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I might even be happy to sit in one of their island jails in the Azores if I could stay without getting deported.. lol.. Ok..maybe not to that point..Jail sucks everywhere. 
If I had about a quarter million to invest I would qualify for the golden immigration deal..
I doubt they really want old poor suckers..I'm too old to go starting up a new business from scratch even though it's what I'm doing here. I just don't make enough at it..  

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It's an amazing place.

Although even as a Portuguese speaker I had a very difficult time communicating with the natives.
Reply/Quote
I've been as well. We found the Portuguese on the mainland and at the adores to be very friendly.
It's gorgeous. I could live there, for sure
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I'll probably never make it there, but it is somewhere I've wanted to go for a long time..

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2021, 09:31 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'll probably never make it there, but it is somewhere I've wanted to go for a long time..

You need to go. Dont wait. Even if its not to move there and just a vacation. If youve wanted to do it for a long time, there's a reason it stics in your mind and is not just a passing fancy. Life is about experiences. Maybe you go and fall in love and it and that spurs you to truly finally make the move. Maybe its a nice place to visit and you have a great vacation but decide moving there isnt for you. But either way, its been calling you for awhile.....so go! 

I want to see Portugal. Could consider retirement there. So as soon as Covid restrictions ease enough, Im gonna go check it out. I have considered the Azores too (to visit). Maybe your report when you get back will press me to include them in my trip.
Reply/Quote