Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Anyone going to apologize to Marvin Lewis?
I mean both burrow and Zac have mentioned halftime adjustments/ and adjusting throughout the game.
Reply/Quote
Alright, I am sorry that I claimed Marvin Lewis was bad at halftime adjustments. Apparently one should rather state that he was bad at adjustments.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Loudini begs to differ.

Reply/Quote
To be fair it was probably the teams defense that was playing against Manning that had to make the halftime adjustments.

What adjustment was Peyton going to make anyway, saying Lincoln Nebraska instead of Omaha, Omaha, Omaha ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Now what’s his excuse for the poor clock management?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 11:07 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: Now what’s his excuse for the poor clock management?

He's a coach? Seems to be the most common complaint levied against every coach. Harbaugh was getting it this week.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Hot take:

The Ravens' clock management at the end of the game was smart. I was actually calling for Zac to get a timeout in, because I knew Harbaugh was just draining the clock to score with no time left and go for two.

I think they took it a bit too far and probably should have saved themselves about 10 more seconds. But letting it tick down was not at all as dumb as it was portrayed to be.

Marvin's clock management was ordinary overall, but he was terrible about wasting timeouts early in halves. He just tossed them around frivolously like they were irrelevant. One of the goofiest moments of the Marvin era seared into my mind was when he called a timeout on a kickoff.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 09:54 PM)Go Cards Wrote: I respect, like, and thank Marvin for all he has done for the Bengals over the years.

But think he has more to apologize for than I do personally.

Well said and I agree. Besides my interest level in ML at this point in time is pretty low, so moving on....
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 08:09 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm sure everyone is aware of the uproar around here when Marvin Lewis stated in response to a question that "Halftime Adjustments" are "Journalistic Jargon".  I wondered at the time how many of the folks acting outraged ever read his entire quote, as I read it word for word and had zero problems with it.

As I recall, paraphrasing of course, he stated that the media uses that phrase under the idea that you go into the locker room and tear up the game plan, then make a new one for the second half.  He followed that you make adjustments after each and every drive, and that if you wait until halftime to adapt to what the opponent is doing, you have no chance of winning.

Well it seems that Peyton Manning, on the most recent Manning Cast, called "Halftime Adjustments" the biggest myth in football (and I think that was the exact phrase).  Eli agreed, and they went on to essentially say the same thing that Marvin stated in his presser all those years ago.

So I am curious.  Now that 2 HOF QBs with 4 SB rings on 6 SB appearances between them have publicly said the same thing as our former HC, does anyone who criticized his statement care to ammend their opinions?

Except The Bengals Defensive Coach makes great adjustments for 2nd Half, and everybody knows that.  So does the offense.  

Maybe Coach Lewis was not a game day coach, changing and adapting during the game, but Coach Taylor coaches are.  Look at last years play-offs and Bengals adjusting to play better in the 2nd half against Tennessee, Kansas City, LA Rams and many regular season wins last few years.   I don't care what Marvin or The Manning's say, The Bengals 2nd Half adjustments are clear to see, especially on Defense. Bengals often adjust and give up almost no points in 2nd Half. That is a Bengals strength last 2 years.

GO BENGALS

BENGALS are a Second Half Team most games.    Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 09:03 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: 7 times.  Wink

Maybe if old Marvin had made a halftime adjustment he might have won at least one of those. If someone wants to hold onto "Lou Anarumo doesn't make halftime adjustments" and is serious, then they just don't watch football.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 12:44 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Hot take:

The Ravens' clock management at the end of the game was smart. I was actually calling for Zac to get a timeout in, because I knew Harbaugh was just draining the clock to score with no time left and go for two.

I think they took it a bit too far and probably should have saved themselves about 10 more seconds. But letting it tick down was not at all as dumb as it was portrayed to be.

Marvin's clock management was ordinary overall, but he was terrible about wasting timeouts early in halves. He just tossed them around frivolously like they were irrelevant. One of the goofiest moments of the Marvin era seared into my mind was when he called a timeout on a kickoff.

Yeah, not that I want to say anything good about Hairball, but he stated he wanted the run the clock down before scoring because he did not want to give Burrow any time to get to midfield and let our "money from 60" kicker, who can't make an extra point, win the game with a field goal. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 08:09 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm sure everyone is aware of the uproar around here when Marvin Lewis stated in response to a question that "Halftime Adjustments" are "Journalistic Jargon".  I wondered at the time how many of the folks acting outraged ever read his entire quote, as I read it word for word and had zero problems with it.

As I recall, paraphrasing of course, he stated that the media uses that phrase under the idea that you go into the locker room and tear up the game plan, then make a new one for the second half.  He followed that you make adjustments after each and every drive, and that if you wait until halftime to adapt to what the opponent is doing, you have no chance of winning.

Well it seems that Peyton Manning, on the most recent Manning Cast, called "Halftime Adjustments" the biggest myth in football (and I think that was the exact phrase).  Eli agreed, and they went on to essentially say the same thing that Marvin stated in his presser all those years ago.

So I am curious.  Now that 2 HOF QBs with 4 SB rings on 6 SB appearances between them have publicly said the same thing as our former HC, does anyone who criticized his statement care to ammend their opinions?

I'd say that most sensible minded fans realize that adjustments are made on the fly, continually and throughout each and every game.  But you also have to realize that as emotionally invested fans of a team, when they come out looking like world beaters in the second half of a game that they played flat in the first half, we're still going to credit the halftime adjustmentsNinja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 09:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Maybe if old Marvin had made a halftime adjustment he might have won at least one of those. If someone wants to hold onto "Lou Anarumo doesn't make halftime adjustments" and is serious, then they just don't watch football.

Lou has talked about it before. It's a little A & B. There are minor adjustments that happen at halftime, but he has also explicitly commented how fast halftime is. It is just quick huddles and chats. He has also said that adjustments happen throughout the game and they are always tweaking things. 

I personally think it is like this...

Are there halftime adjustments? Yes, probably. It may depend on the coach and specific player you ask, but something is getting adjusted and it is likely minor. 

Are halftime adjustments what fans think they are? No, probably not. The "halftime adjustment" that we may credit as being that secret key may have happened with five minutes left to go in the second quarter, for instance. 
Reply/Quote
I can’t believe this is a thing but yes Lou does make adjustments at halftime lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
The Mannings are both intelligent guys who mastered their offenses, schemes, and roles as the QBs. They didn't need halftime adjustments because they, especially Peyton, made real time adjustments when reading the defense.

It makes sense they hold this opinion about halftime adjustments, but it doesn't mean coaches nor other players have a different approach than them.
Reply/Quote

Peyton Manning isn't a coach, he doesn't have to do the adjustments, that is on the coaches.

Not apologizing for anything, these coaches adjust IN GAME so we can win close games. Marv didn't, especially in the
playoff games when we were 0-7 with him at HC. Lou is fantastic at adjusting on D.
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry, Marv. We've had a lot of success without you. Someone had to be thrown under the bus.

Antonio Bryant, tho... wtf was that?!
Reply/Quote
I am thankful that Marvin came along to steer this franchise out of the shit show that was the 1990s. The guy coached with one hand behind his back, and dealt with a frugal and stubborn owner. He stayed too long, and his message got stale... It always does. I don't know if other teams' fans feel the need to trash everything that came before to validate whatever is currently going on, but for some reason we sure do. I highly doubt that Marvin Lewis, and several of his assistants that went on to HC gigs never made adjustments. Hell it took 6 weeks for them to figure out cover 2 this year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote