Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone read the Matthew Scudder series?
I was probably 20 years old when I first read When the Sacred Ginmill Closes. It’s sort of a stand alone in the series, and the first one I read. I was still drinking at the time, and anyone familiar with the book may be a little surprised to hear that would be my fantasy life. 26 years of sobriety later and it still kind of is.

Anyway, I revisited the book and still loved it, and have now made my way through most of the series. They are easy reading detective novels set in NYC in the 70s 80s and 90s. Matthew is an ex-cop, divorced hard core alcoholic working as an off the books PI and living in a hotel. Detective work is what the story revolves around, but experiencing the underbelly of New York is where the fun is.

They’ve made 2 movies. 8 Million Ways to Die which if I remember it correctly takes place in LA for some reason and doesn’t much resemble the book and A Walk Through the Tombstones.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote