Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone think Taylor is improving?
We seem much better prepared this year compared to last 2. We seem to be open to running different personnel and using more misdirections and playing to strengths. He was really bad first 2 years he has improved to about average finally.
Reply/Quote
I would say average is about right. Which is good. Hopefully means he's going to get better. One thing he was noted for by his peers was his knowledge of football. Now he's getting the experience to apply it and make it fit.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think I'm seeing enough improvement. We stick with the run and don't just try and throw it 40 times so that's improvement. But I think with a better play caller our offense could be really good and a lot more consistent.
Reply/Quote
I actually don't mind him as HC. Playcaller is my only frustration with him at time. But the way he managed the closing minutes of that almost comeback againdt the Dolphins in 2019 let me know he at least knew how to take care of the duty's of HC of the team.

Outside of the losses (which for the most part have been close), I really have no complaints as far as him being HC. He is young, so it should be only up from here (from a HCing standpoint).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 09:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: I actually don't mind him as HC. Playcaller is my only frustration with him at time. But the way he managed the closing minutes of that almost comeback againdt the Dolphins in 2019 let me know he at least knew how to take care of the duty's of HC of the team.

Outside of the losses (which for the most part have been close), I really have no complaints as far as him being HC. He is young, so it should be only up from here (from a HCing standpoint).

Agree with this and he definitely killed in the draft and FA. 

Think everything is trending up and Bengals should be a juggernaut the next couple of years if he keeps this core and adds a couple more pieces and even has a chance to make some noise this year.

If he does pan out ? Then he could be here for a very long time and that's worth the gamble in my book. Just don't see it as a time to cut bait with him now after all the great offseason moves he made. Plus he is already outdoing a lot of predictions on here about the Bengals win totals before the season began. Plus the players seem to really like him. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yes, Zac Taylor IS improving but where is his ceiling? 2-14 to 4-11-1 isn’t really much improvement but this season is THE measuring stick. The play calling against the Raiders was the best I’ve seen so far and it showed me Zac was able to adjust his game plan to fit what Las Vegas was showing on defense: Excellent pass defense and excellent run defense at first but the run defense eventually broke down. The “old Zac” would have thrown the ball way too much but yesterday was pleasantly different.

For me I think seeing ten wins under Zac might be a respectable benchmark for success; certainly a trip to the postseason would help. Maybe I was spoiled rotten by Marvin Lewis who started 8-8, 8-8, and 11-5.

Like Marvin Lewis, I think Zac Taylor would be a good General Manager.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 10:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Like Marvin Lewis, I think Zac Taylor would be a good General Manager.

Based off what? Drew Sample, Ryan Finley, and Jackson Carman?

He sucked his way into Burrow, and the Bengals were guaranteed a great player at #5 this year so long as they didn't go QB.

Drafting hasn't really been great otherwise unless you're talking maybe McPherson, but he was universally the highest rated kicker in that draft so it wasn't exactly a diamond in the rough that he found or anything.

Marvin was obsessed with finding a OLB/DE hybrid who could rush the passer, and had a love of making guys change position with generally poor results. He said that Dennard was the best rookie CB he had ever seen, and then Dennard could barely get into a game until his 4th year.

I don't think either of them would make good GMs, I think we just say that when we don't think guys are good coaches, but they're good people... and because we've never had a GM, thus have never seen what an actual GM could do for the Bengals.

- - - - - - 

As to the OP... Zac has improved, but he hardly could have gotten worse. I still don't think he's the answer and I think that for an offense built with Burrow/Mixon/Chase/Boyd/Higgins, it's not as good or consistent as it should be. He's not elevating anyone with his offense.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
No.
Reply/Quote
I think he's been amazing from day one, so not sure if he's improved or not. I imagine he's gotten better with experience though.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 07:49 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We seem much better prepared this year compared to last 2. We seem to be open to running different personnel and using more misdirections and playing to strengths. He was really bad first 2 years he has improved to about average finally.

Things that I love about Taylor (and, yes, I give him credit for these things):

The 2 minute offense is a huge strength, and the "middle 8" of the last four minutes of a half and the first four after a half have been incredible.

The aggressiveness on 4th down. 

The culture of guys from winning teams with captain backgrounds.  Zero turds.

That he protected Burrow early in the season and still had a good record.

Creative play design.

Attitude despite a ton of issues early on.  You never see the guy down.

Things I wish Taylor did better:

Run scheme needs to be either changed to personnel or personnel needs improved.  

Scripted plays need to improve, but have looked better the last two weeks

Deep routes for players other than Chase. 

In summary, I overall like the guy.  Anarumo had a two game horrible slide, but called a great game in Vegas.  I hope he rolls out more of Mixon and Evans down the stretch.  The only thing this offense is missing is a reliable run game.  
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 07:49 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We seem much better prepared this year compared to last 2. We seem to be open to running different personnel and using more misdirections and playing to strengths. He was really bad first 2 years he has improved to about average finally.

To be fair, the roster had one star that was injured immediately and then fell off a cliff.  If this offense is average, I will take average.  I think they are back on the 30 burger train and people seem to forget how YOUNG this group is and how the big talent (Mixon, Burrow, Boyd, Higgins, and Chase) are signed for at least 3 more years.  
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 12:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Things that I love about Taylor (and, yes, I give him credit for these things):

The 2 minute offense is a huge strength, and the "middle 8" of the last four minutes of a half and the first four after a half have been incredible.

The aggressiveness on 4th down. 

The culture of guys from winning teams with captain backgrounds.  Zero turds.

That he protected Burrow early in the season and still had a good record.

Creative play design.

Attitude despite a ton of issues early on.  You never see the guy down.

Things I wish Taylor did better:

Run scheme needs to be either changed to personnel or personnel needs improved.  

Scripted plays need to improve, but have looked better the last two weeks

Deep routes for players other than Chase. 

In summary, I overall like the guy.  Anarumo had a two game horrible slide, but called a great game in Vegas.  I hope he rolls out more of Mixon and Evans down the stretch.  The only thing this offense is missing is a reliable run game.  

I agree with you Racer. I was critical of ZT like most but I’ve actually found myself defending him this season. I think he’s done a good job. In a perfect world, I’d like to have an OC who handles the playcalling but he hasn’t been bad there, either.
Reply/Quote
This past game against the raiders is the best evidence that I've seen that he is improving. The playcalling seemed like it wasn't totally random. The only time where it looked as if maybe he and Lou were getting outcoached was when the Raiders kept throwing to their TEs. Aside from that? The players were put in situations where they could outplay the competition. 
Reply/Quote
I guess he's OK other than being the mouth model for this video..
The Annoying Orange..

In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 11:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Based off what? Drew Sample, Ryan Finley, and Jackson Carman?

He sucked his way into Burrow, and the Bengals were guaranteed a great player at #5 this year so long as they didn't go QB.

Drafting hasn't really been great otherwise unless you're talking maybe McPherson, but he was universally the highest rated kicker in that draft so it wasn't exactly a diamond in the rough that he found or anything.

Marvin was obsessed with finding a OLB/DE hybrid who could rush the passer, and had a love of making guys change position with generally poor results. He said that Dennard was the best rookie CB he had ever seen, and then Dennard could barely get into a game until his 4th year.

I don't think either of them would make good GMs, I think we just say that when we don't think guys are good coaches, but they're good people... and because we've never had a GM, thus have never seen what an actual GM could do for the Bengals.

- - - - - - 

As to the OP... Zac has improved, but he hardly could have gotten worse. I still don't think he's the answer and I think that for an offense built with Burrow/Mixon/Chase/Boyd/Higgins, it's not as good or consistent as it should be. He's not elevating anyone with his offense.

I will say this about Marv:  He took character shortcuts and it blew up time and time again.  I will always wonder what might have been to that 2005 team had Pollack and Henry been able to stay healthy, and Odell Thurman stayed out of trouble.  Henry and Pollack were game-changing talents and Thurman.....5 forced fumbles and 5 INTs in his rookie season.  10 turnovers by a rookie LB.  He was all over the field.  Such a shame we never got to see that team develop. 
Reply/Quote
He is coaching with a lead better. we still need improvement when we are trailing. Browns game this season is only game I feel he got out coached. 4th down decisions have improved after Vikings and Bears game. Most coaches in NFL do not understand taking 3 isn't a terrible thing. I felt like Giants had a punchers chance for an upset had Giants coach taken the points on those 2 1st half 4th down decisions last night
Reply/Quote
Well it would have been hard for him not to improve after the first 2 seasons i think.
Reply/Quote
Only somewhat. It's beyond me why we don't throw in more screen plays to slow down the defensive fronts.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 10:46 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Only somewhat. It's beyond me why we don't throw in more screen plays to slow down the defensive fronts.

Worked well against the Jets… oh wait that was the back breaking pick.
Reply/Quote
I don't know honestly. I still feel that sometimes the team does well in-spite of him, not because of him.
Reply/Quote