Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone think the Bengals will take lessons from this Super Bowl?
When I saw Mahomes taking snaps and instantly running for his life I was like,"Hmmm, where have I seen this before?" Mahomes is one of the best QB's in the NFL, yet looked horrible behind that line with 2 backups starting. That Tampa Bay Dline would kill Burrow with our current Oline, let's hope we address that weakness in FA and the draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 02:12 PM)Okeana Wrote: if you draft well and utilize free agency correctly then you win superbowls.

Oh and don't backflip and throw up peace signs in a regular-season game vs a team you could see in the Superbowl.

Running your mouth to one of the fieriest competitors to ever play the game was also ill advised.

Reply/Quote
TB swapped out Jameis Winston (The Human Turnover Machine) for Tom Brady (one of the better QBs in NFL history at not turning it over). The effect was dramatic for both sides of the ball. There was a huge change on where opposing offenses started on average which directly helped Tampa's defense. The interesting thing is pretty much ALL of the Free Agent acquisitions contributed to their title and credit has to go to the coaches who clearly had a plan and got players that fit the plan.

As to the refs, I saw both plays and while you can make the "uncatchable" argument a little the problem is tripping and also physically blocking the WR away from the ball get called regardless. Add in that the Chiefs secondary has a well earned reputation for being grabby and multiple teams over time complained about the refs not calling them on it and the only surprise was that they FINALLY started doing it. The funniest officiating slip-up was calling JPP for roughing when it was a different player. The roughing DID happen they just put it on the wrong player.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 02:59 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: When I saw Mahomes taking snaps and instantly running for his life I was like,"Hmmm, where have I seen this before?" Mahomes is one of the best QB's in the NFL, yet looked horrible behind that line with 2 backups starting. That Tampa Bay Dline would kill Burrow with our current Oline, let's hope we address that weakness in FA and the draft.

Which makes what Burrow accomplished with 5 backups starting even more amazing.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 05:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Which makes what Burrow accomplished with 5 backups starting even more amazing.

Burrow never faced a d-line that good.

Oh wait, yea he did

Against Washington.

Remind me how that ended?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 09:54 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Andy Reid's sons have been a mess since they've played with drugs & alcohol. This last incident with the children hurt probably affected the team more than Brady and Co. probably did.

"A Kansas City Police Department officer said Reid's eyes were bloodshot and that the officer smelled "a moderate odor of alcoholic beverages," according to a police officer statement obtained by ESPN. The statement went on to say Reid told the officer that he had two to three drinks and that he also took prescription Adderall."

Yes, this had to play a role in the attitude of the team coming in....it was remnicent of the Stanley Wilson incident back in 1988.
It was to have some sort of impact. 
Reply/Quote
Yes. I hope the Bengals take the lesson that a consistent run game opens up the playbook including playaction and RPOs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 12:57 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Using Pro Football Reference
Tampa Bay's O starters*

TB 1st round picks 2
TB 2nd round picks 3
TB 3rd round picks 2
Other teams' 2nd round picks 1
Other teams' 6th round picks 2

Tampa Bay's D starters
TB 1st round picks 1
TB 2nd round picks 4
TB 4th round picks 2
Other team's UDFA 1
Other team's 1st round picks 2
Other team's 6th round picks 1

Buc's 1st round picks 3 - 2014, 2019, 2020
Buc's 2nd round picks 7 -  2012, 2015, 2015, 2018, 2018, 2019, 2020
Buc's 3rd round picks 2 - 2017, 2018
Buc's 4th round picks 2 - 2013, 2018

Seems a vindication of building through the draft - those 7 second round picks in particular.

How does that compare to the Bengals? We're likely to have 3 starters who we drafted in the first round next season (at least before our first round pick's season is ended early by injury). Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, Bates, the 2021 2nd round pick and maybe Sample are all 2nd round picks. Dunlap would have been the 7th if he hadn't have been traded.
Hubbard and Logan Wilson are 3rd round starters.
Geno and Lawson (if both are still here) would be 4th round starters. If they don't maybe two of Wren/Davis-Gaither and Jordan start.

The Bucs had two former first round picks of other teams - the Bengals have one in Trae Waynes - and two other teams' second round picks - the Bengals have Vonn Bell and XSF (Mackensie Alexander was a third last year).

So sign a former first rounder (Scherff?), re-sign Lawson, keep Geno, sign some former 6th rounders in free agency then draft starters in the first and second including trade back into the second round for a second second rounder and the Bengals should be good to go all the way....

*Yes it was impressive that they won a SB with only 10
um...keep Geno? not on board with that. Need to cut that contract loose and get some young and affordable blood in there
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 05:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Which makes what Burrow accomplished with 5 backups starting even more amazing.

if they start for most the season they are not backups!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 02:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, then again a gameplan of Mahommes throwing the ball all over the place to guys like Kelce and Hill usually pays off, too.  

The craziest thing is that the Bucs won a SB 5 years after busting on a #1 overall QB pick...that's impressive. 

Yep, benefits of the rookie wage scale. 

And if you saw on TV how deep the safeties were playing, I would have had more runs and short crossers to RBs to take advantage.  The LB play of Tampa was amazing. 
Reply/Quote
No
Reply/Quote
Have the Bengals learned anything, ever?
Reply/Quote
We need more women coaches... obviously...
Reply/Quote
No.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 09:54 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Andy Reid's sons have been a mess since they've played with drugs & alcohol. This last incident with the children hurt probably affected the team more than Brady and Co. probably did.

^This. The Chiefs got 'Stanley Wilson'd'. They didn't look like their heads were in the game from the start. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 12:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Some well deserved shade thrown our way, but the first thing I think is that should tell everyone just how good Burrow is...

Gregg Rosenthal is a water head. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 12:26 AM)Joelist Wrote: Tampa just throttled the Chiefs and it was built on both lines. Yes Brady was Brady but Tampa's OL dominated KCs DL and Tampas DL embarrassed the Chiefs OL. Brady had time to throw and the Bucs ran effectively while Mahomes was running for his life all night and the Chiefs while getting a couple of splash run plays overall were not running effectively.

You also saw what a good Defensive Coordinator can do as the Bucs defensive game plan was superb. They took away the big explosive plays and made the Chiefs play methodically, which with the dominant Tampa DL was suicide.

Will the Bengals take any notes from this?

ehhhhh.......

Mike Brown ...  Learn ... Lesson ...

Those are words that just don't go together.

And now Mike and family and friends have a head coach that's just like them. Knows everything, yet fails utterly, only to return to knows everything, nothing to learn here.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 01:37 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Mike Brown ...  Learn ... Lesson ...

Those are words that just don't go together.

And now Mike and family and friends have a head coach that's just like them. Knows everything, yet fails utterly, only to return to knows everything, nothing to learn here.

well its not Mike brown

Its the blackburns and paul brown running things with a little tobin on the side
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 12:26 AM)Joelist Wrote: Tampa just throttled the Chiefs and it was built on both lines. Yes Brady was Brady but Tampa's OL dominated KCs DL and Tampas DL embarrassed the Chiefs OL. Brady had time to throw and the Bucs ran effectively while Mahomes was running for his life all night and the Chiefs while getting a couple of splash run plays overall were not running effectively.

You also saw what a good Defensive Coordinator can do as the Bucs defensive game plan was superb. They took away the big explosive plays and made the Chiefs play methodically, which with the dominant Tampa DL was suicide.

Will the Bengals take any notes from this?

ehhhhh.......

easier lesson than that.. if you have Tom Brady you are mostly likely in a Super Bowl and will highly win the Super Bowl.. the man beat Brees, Rogers and Mahomes in that order... amazing.. nothing else
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 11:06 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well its not Mike brown

Its the blackburns and paul brown running things with a little tobin on the side

Hmm, well I guess it does feel more like the early days of the MB era than it does the 2010's.  

The Bengals' FO Reboot 2020's edition....with

Katie and Troy as Mike Brown
Duke Tobin as Mike Brown the GM
Zac Taylor as Dave Shula
Marvin Lewis as Sam Wyche
Andy Dalton as Boomer Esiason
Joe Burrow as David Klingler

It's a reboot!  A change in ownership!  Stay tuned!
Reply/Quote