Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone up for the ever popular virual threats these days?
The latest has a catchy name, the Corona virus. I read it was named so as to not offend any groups. The swine flu really ticked off pork producers and MERS ticked off the Saudi's, but thankfully nobody lives on the surface of the sun, but watch out for those sun worshipers.
Anyways.. I do feel bad for the millions affected and wonder if it'll be able to be contained before killing off millions.
It has a rather slow incubation period which makes it tougher to contain. The longer the incubation period the more likely it is to spread quickly. That sounds counter-intuitive, but the longer you go before showing symptoms after actually getting infected the more likely you are to infect others before seeking any kind of medical attention. Hopefully it's not like the Spanish flu that affected BY FAR mostly 20-40 year old young adults in the prime of life. That had a lot to do with people who were exposed as babies to very similar viruses in the late 1800s. 20 years later those people were hit particularly hard. https://www.statnews.com has a lot of interesting reading on similarities between the two. The Chinese are particularly vulnerable because of another similar virus 10-20 years ago, SARS..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 02:09 AM)grampahol Wrote: The latest has a catchy name, the Corona virus.

At least it is not as confusing as the Bird Flu.

I remember someone asking me about being worried because of the bird flu.  I said "No. That is what birds are supposed to do."
Reply/Quote
I wish they would have just called it the Kung Flu.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
So that's why they put a lime in it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote