Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone watch Texas Rising?
Weather they are embellishing for TV, or trying to tell the story accurately, it's making for some interesting Historical TV.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Weather they are embellishing for TV, or trying to tell the story accurately, it's making for some interesting Historical TV.

Yes I caught it tonight and thought it was awesome. I think for the most part it's pretty accurate, however there is going to be a certain artistic liberties taken. Simply because some of the characters aren't well documented. This tends to happen the further you go back in history. But that being said I thought it was fantastic, mainly because it's not just another story about the Alamo. It's telling a story of the broader picture.
Reply/Quote
Crap it started? well now I know what to watch tonight.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I DVR'd it last night. Going to watch it tonight. Have been looking forward to it for a long time!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 10:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Crap it started?  well now I know what to watch tonight.

(05-26-2015, 12:51 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I DVR'd it last night.  Going to watch it tonight.  Have been looking forward to it for a long time!

You guys realize that part 2 is tonight, right? 9:00 p.m. History Channel.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The History channel butchered the series on the Revolutionary War (Sons of Liberty) so I didn't have much hope for this one.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 05:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You guys realize that part 2 is tonight, right?  9:00 p.m. History Channel.

Actually, part 1 and 2 are on tonight.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 06:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The History channel butchered the series on the Revolutionary War (Sons of Liberty) so I didn't have much hope for this one.

Decent television, though.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:02 PM)Harmening Wrote: Decent television, though.

Yes, very much so. And quite educational and enlightening for folks who don't have advanced degrees, or maybe didn't do as much reading in HS as they should have. Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 07:01 PM)Harmening Wrote: Actually, part 1 and 2 are on tonight.

Yeah I think part 1 starts at 7p. I was just looking at the guide. looks like part 1 at 7 and part 2 at 9.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 05:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You guys realize that part 2 is tonight, right?  9:00 p.m. History Channel.

I've got the first two recording this Sunday, and then the third recording Monday.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 06:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The History channel butchered the series on the Revolutionary War (Sons of Liberty) so I didn't have much hope for this one.

You mean the one with Sam Adams looking like he belonged on the cover of People and being an expert at parkour?

Reply/Quote
I have not watched any of Texas Rising so I won't criticize it, but if you are really interested in history I suggest you check out the documentary series on the Roosevelts that is currently running on PBS.
Reply/Quote
OK I have seen the first one. I don't know much about the history, so no comment on that aspect, but it wasn't really good. The acting is pretty bad, led of course by perhaps the worst actor of my lifetime. No idea how Bill Paxton ever gets a job. All of the acting is hammed up.

It seems like they wanted to make this giant epic, and it comes across as a Western, with 60's Western music included. Half of the first episode was about the two goofy kids doing kind of nothing but being goofy.

And what's with the Mexicans switching between English and Spanish in the same scene? It's one or the other. Either they speak English where we understand they would actually be speaking Spanish, or they speak Spanish with subtitles.

I'll watch the rest just because, but so far it's not great.

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 10:44 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK I have seen the first one.  I don't know much about the history, so no comment on that aspect, but it wasn't really good.  The acting is pretty bad, led of course by perhaps the worst actor of my lifetime.  No idea how Bill Paxton ever gets a job. All of the acting is hammed up.  

It seems like they wanted to make this giant epic, and it comes across as a Western, with 60's Western music included.  Half of the first episode was about the two goofy kids doing kind of nothing but being goofy.  

And what's with the Mexicans switching between English and Spanish in the same scene?  It's one or the other.  Either they speak English where we understand they would actually be speaking Spanish, or they speak Spanish with subtitles.  

I've got to admit I was really excited about this series when it first came out (I think I just built it up in my head), But since I've been watching it, I have to admit I've been disappointed.  Mainly for most of the reasons you've mentioned, it just seems hokie.  I was also disappointed in the casting of Brendan Frazier (is that his last name, I think).  I'll probably keep watching hoping it gets better.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 10:44 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK I have seen the first one.  I don't know much about the history, so no comment on that aspect, but it wasn't really good.  The acting is pretty bad, led of course by perhaps the worst actor of my lifetime.  No idea how Bill Paxton ever gets a job. All of the acting is hammed up.  

It seems like they wanted to make this giant epic, and it comes across as a Western, with 60's Western music included.  Half of the first episode was about the two goofy kids doing kind of nothing but being goofy.  

And what's with the Mexicans switching between English and Spanish in the same scene?  It's one or the other.  Either they speak English where we understand they would actually be speaking Spanish, or they speak Spanish with subtitles.  

Ya I'm going to have to agree about the whole Bill Paxton thing.  And then you throw in Encino Man?  Really?  Wow, it's been a pretty big disappointment so far and I still have to get thru the 2nd episode.  
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Finally finished it. I entered this show knowing very little about the Texas Revolution. I now feel I am an expert. The Texas Revolution consisted of The Alamo, the massacre of several hundred Texans fleeing a fort, and finally a skirmish in the woods. Oh yeah and Henry Hill grew a beard and mutilated a lot of Mexicans before shaving his beard and entering the witness protection program, but they found him. I think one of the heroes was deaf. But not always. George of the Jungle killed his own son. Too bad George's dad didn't think of that. Some family bought a house and were slaughtered by Indians. That was a critical part of the revolution. Two guys, one named Bigfoot, didn't participate at all in the Texas Revolution. I think it was important that we followed their story so we could know that. And some Snidely Whiplash dude (complete with twirling the mustache) had to give his hotel to the Yellow Rose of Texas who was little more than a slut, and probably turned the hotel into a brothel. and the election of Sam Houston was so big that like 20 people attended his inauguration in some saloon. He said he would give his blood and his life for Texas, and most in attendance seemed to hope it would come to that.

Reply/Quote
It had some loooooonnnngggg ass commercial breaks
Reply/Quote
I tried to enjoy the show, for entertainment value, keeping in mind that historical accuracy likely was being embellished to provide a more interesting story.  Now, that it has concluded, I'm a bit disappointed.  I thought that they could have, and likely should have, told that story in one less two-hour segment.  The commercial breaks were a bit tiresome.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote