Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone who plays the pats.
Anyone who plays the pats this year, really need to sit the refs down before the game and bring up the picks. First off let me say this. Tom would be putting up great numbers either way. But the amount of times I see a DB, safety or LB, get picked and then watch Edelman, or danny, get monster YACs. Like a basketball game out there, and not just from the score.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 07:09 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: Anyone who plays the pats this year, really need to sit the refs down before the game and bring up the picks. First off let me say this. Tom would be putting up great numbers either way. But the amount of times I see a DB, safety or LB, get picked and then watch Edelman, or danny, get monster YACs. Like a basketball game out there, and not just from the score.

Starting to get some mention in the national media, theyll have to tune it down a bit. It seems like a really tough call to make by the refs in the moment.  I think BB knows this and is exploiting it, once a cheater always a cheater I guess.  They'll dial it in and only use it down the road when intercepting the opponents radio communications isn't enough for them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ive seen both Mannings do it a bit as well. If the refs aren't calling it, its not a bad strategy. Our cbs are decent at noticing it, but I hate when it happens and isn't called. It has happened to us a few times already... against KC and SD I think.
Reply/Quote
Anyone care to explain this to me?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 07:55 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Anyone care to explain this to me?

He's referring to picks, as in when two eligible receivers run their routes so close to each other in opposite directions that at least one of the defenders is "picked off", or basically blocked, leaving one of the receivers open. It's offensive pass interference.
Reply/Quote
Oh wow.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
If it's inside 5 yards...knock the receivers on their ass.

Anyway...the NFL should extend the chuck rule from 5 yards to 10 yards to give defensive players a fighting chance.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Manning does this all the time. More than the Patriots. If your receivers are good enough to make it look like they're just running a route it's not going to be called.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The refs have been more than willing to call that penalty so far this year.

....But yeah, cheating, Belichick, yeah....
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 11:54 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: The refs have been more than willing to call that penalty so far this year.

....But yeah, cheating, Belichick, yeah....

actually they've been calling the illegal blocking downfield as holding or Offensive PI. the pick plays they have called maybe a couple of times that i've seen thus far.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 12:49 AM)WildCat Wrote: actually they've been calling the illegal blocking downfield as holding or Offensive PI. the pick plays they have called maybe a couple of times that i've seen thus far.

The pick play IS OPI. To the best of my knowledge they won't call "pick play" (unless you get a Hochulian explanation of the foul) they just call it as OPI.

It is being called. It's a non issue.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 10:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If it's inside 5 yards...knock the receivers on their ass.

Anyway...the NFL should extend the chuck rule from 5 yards to 10 yards to give defensive players a fighting chance.

Let's compromise...7.5 yards.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2015, 06:59 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Let's compromise...7.5 yards.

I was initially thinking 8 to 10 but figured it might be harder for refs to determine where the line is if it's somewhere in between.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 07:09 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: Anyone who plays the pats this year, really need to sit the refs down before the game and bring up the picks. First off let me say this. Tom would be putting up great numbers either way. But the amount of times I see a DB, safety or LB, get picked and then watch Edelman, or danny, get monster YACs. Like a basketball game out there, and not just from the score.

I remember an interview with an ex-pat when they played the Giants in the SB the second time.  He said when they played the Rams BB told them to hold the WR every play because the officials won't call it every play so it will work to their advantage.

He'll keep running the plays until they get called every time.

Which won't happen.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 09:00 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: He's referring to picks, as in when two eligible receivers run their routes so close to each other in opposite directions that at least one of the defenders is "picked off", or basically blocked, leaving one of the receivers open. It's offensive pass interference.

Phil Simms calls it "rubbing a defender".

And yes, its sounds just as creepy when he says it.  "Mellow"
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
I don't necessarily agree it should be called all the time. Where it SHOULD be called, is if the WR shows any indication that he isn't out there running a route to receive the ball. If you run 4 WR sets that involve multiple crossing routes, fine. It's when 1 or 2 of the receivers clearly show with their hands and body language that they are glorified blockers on the play that the penalty needs called. There is a responsibility for the DB to take the right angle...you can't just penalize the offense for the play design.
Reply/Quote

they started using refs for picks too lol
Reply/Quote