Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Anyone worried about the lack of the vertical passing game?
Where in the heck did the vertical passing
Disappear to? 4 -5 weeks ago it was stated
Cause of Joe's calf injury he couldn't take deep
Shots. Well 6 games in, this offense only has 3
Pass plays over 20 yds.
The running game hasn't provided any big
Time explosive plays. So that obviously Leaves the passing game to provide the explosive plays
The trouble is the offense is struggling
To generate any big over the top plays
2 years ago big plays was the identity of
This offense. (I know teams are playing 2 deep safeties)
For whatever reason outside of Chase no one is
Separating vertically. Tee Higgins is the most troubling
Last year he was winning one on one vertical throws
But this year it ain't happening ...
Reply/Quote
I am worried about:

1) Lack of production on offense
2) Lack of creativity on offense
3)Stubborn, overly dogmatic playcalling
4) No plays where we run the ball from under C
5) Terrible on 3rd & short
6) Continuing to throw short of the sticks, even on managable yardage.
7) Continuing to throw deep in 3rd & medium or when a 1stcdown wins the game.
Reply/Quote
It's a huge concern, honestly.

This offense has all of the sudden morphed into a one dimensional horizontal passing attack.

I get the defense and their two high shells dictate that a lot...but man, we do not throw it down the field vertically at all.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Not for me honestly

Earlier it was troubling because Burrow just refused to throw it

Now with Burrow healthy-ish I’m fully convinced defenses are just not giving it up.
There’s no tape of Chase running free and Burrow just not throwing it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
We need a new offensive line coach.
We need a new offensive coordinator.
Joe got injured and then gets biggest contract in NFL history. Probably messed with his head a bit.
Tee is wanting a new contract and then gets nagging injuries. Probably messed with head a bit.

We need a new OC and O'line coach.

And perhaps a shrink.

Because this offense should be tops in the league.

Reply/Quote
I don’t mind the five and six yard passes on first down. They make life much easier on the offense. I’d like to see Chase catch more slants where he can make something happen.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Want more vertical routes? Then get defenses out of cover 2 by opening up the ground game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Lack of a tight end is my main concern for the passing game. Which I suppose parleys over to lack of a vertical game as well. Combine that with the mediocre at best rush O, yeah.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I was at the game today and Seattle’s defense did a credible job taking the vertical pass away from the Bengals. They did it with pressure on Joe Burrow and solid safety coverage on the back end.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I was at the game today and Seattle’s defense did a credible job taking the vertical pass away from the Bengals.  They did it with pressure on Joe Burrow and solid safety coverage on the back end.

Oh definitely. Zero respect for Mixon and the run blocking scheme which I can't blame them. And lack of a tight end threat over the middle makes it pretty easy for D's to scheme against.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I was at the game today and Seattle’s defense did a credible job taking the vertical pass away from the Bengals.  They did it with pressure on Joe Burrow and solid safety coverage on the back end.

I was at game also and overall we got more pressure and Seahawks yet they made more big plays vertical so I can't
T but what you are saying , we just ate not very efficient in making  those plays
Reply/Quote
Burrow isn't all the way back yet - his accuracy and timing with the WR still seems off.

However it's been 2 years since we had a legit vertical passing attack. Cover 2 keeps us in check because Bengals can't run the freaking ball.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:14 PM)Synric Wrote: Want more vertical routes? Then get defenses out of cover 2 by opening up the ground game.

This
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I was at game also and overall we got more pressure and Seahawks yet they made more big plays vertical so I can't
T but what you are saying , we just ate not very efficient in making  those plays

I mean when I'm talking about verticly passing attack, in talking about throwing the ball 10-15 yards down the field. I'm not even talking about 60 yard bombs. Both are non existent right now. 

There's ZERO reason we shouldn't be able to hit Tee or Chase on a 20 yard post or dagger. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I'm not really worried about the offense at all. I trust in a healthy Joe Burrow.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:39 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Oh definitely. Zero respect for Mixon and the run blocking scheme which I can't blame them. And lack of a tight end threat over the middle makes it pretty easy for D's to scheme against.

Just watching the games it seems Mixon is running much better, but then you look at the numbers and nothing much has changed.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
No concern now. We are back to .500, couldn’t care less how we got here. Bye week at a perfect time honestly.
Reply/Quote
These offensive issues can be solved by upgrading the O line. Mixon is fine. They need to get
better players up front to open up the run game then the RB won’t be as important.
I’m all for trading Tee for a high second rounder. That’s a spot in the draft when you can get a stud at G. WRs and the O will be plenty good enough without Tee but with an improved OL.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 09:33 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: These offensive issues can be solved by upgrading the O line. Mixon is fine.  They need to get
better players up front to open up the run game then the RB won’t be as important.
I’m all for trading Tee for a high second rounder.  That’s a spot in the draft when you can get a stud at G.  WRs and the O will be plenty good enough without Tee but with an improved OL.

I’m with you on this 1000%. I want a great OL
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I dont buy the excuse defenses are forcing Burrow to dink and dunk every game because they are playing cover 2. If thats the case why doesnt it effect other teams like Miami? Is our QB and WRs as good if not better than Miami's?
Reply/Quote