Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apathy
I chose "apathy" as the title for the thread because it best describes my feelings towards this organization. I can't think of a time that I have been more so since the pre Carson Palmer days. I still enjoy watching the sport, but have become numb to Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis. I'm not watching the majority of games and am extremely less active on here than I used to be.

I know the standard thought process is that I will get excited once the draft comes around, but something feels different about this year. I also know this is going to elicit many of the "you're not a real fan", "go root for Cleveland" responses that are typical on this board. I'm just curious how many others are feeling this way or something similar? Maybe my time as a Bengals fan is winding down...
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 12:04 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I chose "apathy" as the title for the thread because it best describes my feelings towards this organization.  I can't think of a time that I have been more so since the pre Carson Palmer days.  I still enjoy watching the sport, but have become numb to Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.  I'm not watching the majority of games and am extremely less active on here than I used to be.

I know the standard thought process is that I will get excited once the draft comes around, but something feels different about this year.  I also know this is going to elicit many of the "you're not a real fan", "go root for Cleveland" responses that are typical on this board.  I'm just curious how many others are feeling this way or something similar?  Maybe my time as a Bengals fan is winding down...

Yeah, the "new" of the Marvball era has definitely worn off.  They're still my team, and I won't pick up another one unless they fold.....cause I'm no bandwagon frontrunner.....but I haven't watched as much, and even fell asleep during part of the 4th quarter Sunday.

I'll still be active here, as I don't really have anyone around me to discuss Bengals football in such detail, but I'll watch them if there's nothing else to do, or catch them on the radio....and if I miss the game, I miss it.  No big deal. Some of it's the team, but there's also kids now that are getting more and more active....I don't even watch as many FSU games as I used to.  I NEVER missed a Noles game or a Bengals game.  I've missed several Bengals games, and a couple of day Seminoles games this year.  I guess it's a combination of things for me.

One thing I won't do, is buy anymore tickets or merch until some changes are made.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 12:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, the "new" of the Marvball era has definitely worn off.  They're still my team, and I won't pick up another one unless they fold.....cause I'm no bandwagon frontrunner.....but I haven't watched as much, and even fell asleep during part of the 4th quarter Sunday.

I'll still be active here, as I don't really have anyone around me to discuss Bengals football in such detail, but I'll watch them if there's nothing else to do, or catch them on the radio....and if I miss the game, I miss it.  No big deal. Some of it's the team, but there's also kids now that are getting more and more active....I don't even watch as many FSU games as I used to.  I NEVER missed a Noles game or a Bengals game.  I've missed several Bengals games, and a couple of day Seminoles games this year.  I guess it's a combination of things for me.

One thing I won't do, is buy anymore tickets or merch until some changes are made.

Up until this year, going to watch the Bengals games was a family activity.  One that we enjoyed.  We did go watch football this past Sunday, but I found myself watching some of the other games as much as the Bengals.  It was nice seeing them beat up on Pittsburgh in the first half, but kind of knew it would not last.

I remember a shot of Tomlin before the half where he looked really mad, pissed off.  My daughter commented on it, and I thought "right there is a difference between Marvin and many other coaches".
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 12:22 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Up until this year, going to watch the Bengals games was a family activity.  One that we enjoyed.  We did go watch football this past Sunday, but I found myself watching some of the other games as much as the Bengals.  It was nice seeing them beat up on Pittsburgh in the first half, but kind of knew it would not last.

I remember a shot of Tomlin before the half where he looked really mad, pissed off.  My daughter commented on it, and I thought "right there is a difference between Marvin and many other coaches".

Yep, I even took my daughters to their first NFL game last season.....and it WAS a doozy, the Seattle game.....but not this season.  Not for the foreseeable future for that matter.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
In years past if the Bengals were playing I had to either:

A) be at the game (I'm a season ticket holder but I go to at least one road game per year as well)
B) be in front of a TV watching a game

I've not quite had that dynamic this season. While their on-field performance helped with my decision, I've kind of taken a step back from things as my obsession with this team was really digging into family time. This past Sunday my son had a basketball game at 2 and we took the family out for a late lunch/early dinner immediately afterward. I tracked the game on my phone all afternoon and caught it on the radio when we traveled. I recorded the game but didn't bother watching it when I got home. I even said to my wife that morning, "The Bengals play the Steelers today and I'm not even that excited".

At the end of the day, my wife and kids appreciate the time I spend with them. This team just brings me heartbreak and sends me invoices when it comes time to renew my tickets.
Reply/Quote
My ties to Bengals go back to attending games with my dad through the present when my boys and I always get together to watch the games on Sunday since we do not live in Cincinnati.

I am sure I would have season tickets, just like my Dad, if my life did not take me to North Carolina as a young man.

I have never felt this way before but if I lived in Cincinnati, I would write Brown a letter saying that I would not renew my tickets without a major change in coaching staff starting at the top. I am sure my letter would be trashed and make zero impression.

The record of Marvball is beyond ridiculous and unacceptable. His record against Steelers in general and at home I particular, 0-7 in playoffs, way below average in prime time, and below 500 against playoff level teams would never be accepted by any other NFL franchise and the equivalent would not be accepted by any other business or profession.

truly it is either comical or sad that Brown has not already fired Marv.

The daughter who made the observation about Tomlin versus Marv is very discerning.

There is simply no justification whatsoever for keeping Marvin another year. He should have been fired the day after the playoff meltdown last year. That would have sent a great signal to players that the BS that occurred would no longer be accepted.

Plus this team desperately needs new leadership with new 21st century ideas.
Reply/Quote
You'll all come crawling back next year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 02:01 PM)jason Wrote: You'll all come crawling back next year.

perhaps I will watch games but I would not renew season tickets if I had them if Marvin is not replaced.

I have not advocated this in the past but enough is enough. Marv should have been fired last year. This season was so predictable for so many reasons.
Reply/Quote
I've become apathetic towards football in general along with all the other sports. My body is too old and sore to play any of them so all that's really left is watching other people that I have almost nothing in common with play a game that doesn't really effect my life one way or another. 

If they lose it only bums me out and if they win it just bums me out slightly less than losing.
I no longer believe there's any inherent fairness to these games as more and more they feel rigged much like the political process. It almost feels like that any time now a law will be passed that prohibits us from actually cheering on whatever team we happen to like and we'll be forced cheer on teams we dislike.. I doubt that happens, but it feels like it might someday..
When fans become so rude to each other over issues we have zero control over it feels rather pointless to even bother caring one way or another. Folks act as if by keeping certain players on the team it's a personal slap to their very existence as a human being and team owners are these untouchably super rich entities that really have no connection with the towns they allegedly represent and the vast majority of players are kind of the same way. 
We debate why "we" pay so much to certain players. On guy is paid 50 million while another league minimum which is still far more than most of us will ever see in ten years of hard work and we get all pissy because "we" don't pay them enough to do what? Entertain us for an hour once a week? AND WE ARGUE about this.. 
Hey, as far as I'm concerned if the person at the drive-through window at McDonald's gets your order right and you don't have to wait more than a few minutes they deserve just as much money as the guy who sits on the bench all season, but instead they're paid barely anything.. The way I see it the 3rd string quarterback ought to be getting my fries ready on time if he's going to be paid almost half a million dollars a year.. That's the very least he can do for us for that kind of money..
Yeah..I don't really care all that much if they lose 16 games a season or win the super bowl 5 years in a row. The results in my life are approximately the same.. 
Wait..what was the question? 
Just another thought..if you truly believe that firing Marvin is the answer just think about the WONDERFUL results the Browns have had by firing head coaches over the years. That's been a rip roaring success. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 02:07 PM)bengals67 Wrote: perhaps I will watch games but I would not renew season tickets if I had them if Marvin is not replaced.

I have not advocated this in the past but enough is enough. Marv should have been fired last year. This season was so predictable for so many reasons.
I was just poking at you guys. I feel the same way. I'm not gonna be overly interested in this Xmas Eve game. Especially if it's on NFL Network, and I have to watch on my phone. I don't even know what channel it's on.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 02:01 PM)jason Wrote: You'll all come crawling back next year.

Don't be so sure.  I have stated this before, but my son is mildly autistic and is cognetively very smart as far as school and being able to understand somewhat complex things.  He is 8.  He is very competive and really starting to understand the game.  The four games before the Steelers game I had to deal with meltdowns everytime Nuge missed a kick.  He would just keep saying why don't they get rid of him, he keeps missing, he is costing us games, I would fire him and find someone better, there has got to be someone better, etc.  There was NO prompting from me.  I stay super positive when we watch games because he has such a hard time.  You should hear him freak out whenever the Bengals have one of their awesome 2 minute drills.  I feel so bad for him.  He watches other games and sees other coaches and how other teams are run and he understands (to a point) that the Bengals could do more compared to other teams.  That is just sad for so many reasons and he is only 8.

So, the reason I wrote all that is because without any significant change by the Bengals to make me believe that there is some hope for this team and org, I am not sure how much I am going to "promote" football Sunday in our house next year.  Watching the Bengals go through their stale, tired, neverending incompetence is hard enough for me and torture for my son.  Bengals football this year added more stress and sadness for my son than fun and happiness. 
Reply/Quote
Oh...most of the board will be coming up with free agent scenarios soon (that aren't realistic) and doing mock drafts where the Bengals feel 4-5 needs (that aren't realistic.)
Reply/Quote
I have as well been following Bengals for the last 11 years, had gamepass for many years.

Never been to a game, since i live in Denmark. However this year i had the possibility to get to the London game,my wife asked me of I wanted to go when tickets became available.
However I didn't feel like being up for it with the passion I had for years.

I have always been watching the game. No matter what.
This year has been beeeh, if I was near the TV and the game was on I turned in.
But I have not wasted long nights, getting up in the middle of the night to watch.
Rather get my sleep and enjoy other things.

Sad.
I still love the game, but I don't feel like watching the Bengals every week.
I am OK with watching other games.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 02:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: I've become apathetic towards football in general along with all the other sports. My body is too old and sore to play any of them so all that's really left is watching other people that I have almost nothing in common with play a game that doesn't really effect my life one way or another. 

If they lose it only bums me out and if they win it just bums me out slightly less than losing.
I no longer believe there's any inherent fairness to these games as more and more they feel rigged much like the political process. It almost feels like that any time now a law will be passed that prohibits us from actually cheering on whatever team we happen to like and we'll be forced cheer on teams we dislike.. I doubt that happens, but it feels like it might someday..
When fans become so rude to each other over issues we have zero control over it feels rather pointless to even bother caring one way or another. Folks act as if by keeping certain players on the team it's a personal slap to their very existence as a human being and team owners are these untouchably super rich entities that really have no connection with the towns they allegedly represent and the vast majority of players are kind of the same way. 
We debate why "we" pay so much to certain players. On guy is paid 50 million while another league minimum which is still far more than most of us will ever see in ten years of hard work and we get all pissy because "we" don't pay them enough to do what? Entertain us for an hour once a week? AND WE ARGUE about this.. 
Hey, as far as I'm concerned if the person at the drive-through window at McDonald's gets your order right and you don't have to wait more than a few minutes they deserve just as much money as the guy who sits on the bench all season, but instead they're paid barely anything.. The way I see it the 3rd string quarterback ought to be getting my fries ready on time if he's going to be paid almost half a million dollars a year.. That's the very least he can do for us for that kind of money..
Yeah..I don't really care all that much if they lose 16 games a season or win the super bowl 5 years in a row. The results in my life are approximately the same.. 
Wait..what was the question? 
Just another thought..if you truly believe that firing Marvin is the answer just think about the WONDERFUL results the Browns have had by firing head coaches over the years. That's been a rip roaring success. 

Ya, what he said.  I'm the same way.  Just getting older has made me realize there are more important things to take up my time instead of foosball.  Family for one. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 12:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: One thing I won't do, is buy anymore tickets or merch until some changes are made.

I made this decision in the 80s Wyche when all the sports went through the strike era!

I did break down and buy a Green color rush jersey, but outside of that all merch and the few games I've been to since then were stuff and tickets given to me.

Bunch of rich divas playing a kids game.

I will always pull for the Bengals and Reds, but outside of a cable bill, that's all they will get from me.
Reply/Quote
Ya know... throughout the years there's been a few analysts/talking heads who hitched their horse to this team as a winner.

Once they found out "what the deal was" they bailed without getting but a mere scrape of embarrassment and frustration for doing so.

Man it must be nice to detach from such a pitiful organization without having childhood allegiance and bonds.

Mamas(and Papas too)don't let your babies be Bengals fans!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 04:44 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Ya know...  throughout the years there's been a few analysts/talking heads who hitched their horse to this team as a winner.

Once they found out "what the deal was" they bailed without getting but a mere scrape of embarrassment and frustration for doing so.

Man it must be nice to detach from such a pitiful organization without having childhood allegiance and bonds.

Mamas(and Papas too)don't let your babies be Bengals fans!

I've told my kids that they can be fans of whichever team they want to be, as long as it's not the Steelers.  They lived in Colorado all their lives until recently, so they like to follow the Broncos.  I think in the long run, this will save them the heartburn I've gone through with this team.
Reply/Quote
THIS IS DIRECTED AT ANY OF THE ROOTED FANS WHO ARE GROUNDED IN THIS TEAM REGARDLESS.

This team went 14 years without 'making' the playoffs!

They've made the playoffs 7 times in the last 12 years.

You can't win a SB unless you make the playoffs.

Dalton and Green have made the playoffs 5 times in their 6 year career.

Kenny Anderson made the playoffs 4 times in 16 years.

Boomer Esiason made the playoffs 2 times in 14 years.

Palmer has made the playoffs 3 times in 13 years.

Issac Curtis made the playoffs 4 times in 12 years.

Chad Johnson made the playoffs 3 times in his 11 year career.

After 6 playoff appearances in 8 years, many act like it's the 90s again!!

Okay, so they have never won a playoff game, but does winning a playoff game really matter unless you win the last one?

Yes, yes, I know, you can't win the last one unless you win the first one, but you can't win the first one unless you make the playoffs. Twenty teams every year don't make the playoffs.

MB is here for the distant future, Marvin will be here until he decides to retire, Lewis had two 4-12 seasons and made the playoffs the following year after each of those 2 seasons.

We're not bandwagoning, so that's not an option, so, in the meantime, see if they can win another big stage game Christmas eve, pull for AJ and his yardage, and enjoy the holidays, and root against Pittsburgh!!
Reply/Quote
Everybody has a breaking point. I think I know what mine will be, but it hasn't happened yet, so we'll see what develops in the run-up to next season. I'll wish y'all well if I walk away from football.
Reply/Quote
I feel about the Bengals how Marvin looks like he feels about coaching the Bengals.

Now that you mention it, apathetic would be the adjective.
Reply/Quote