Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appalachian Trail
I’m section hiking part of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia soon.

What’s your advice? Gear? Do’s and dont’s? Places to visit?

Bringing my youngest daughter and our oldest dog. I’ve had to educate myself on hiking with your menstrual cycle. So that’s in my browser history now. Should I get those stupid hiking boots for dogs? I feel like dogs have went without them for quite awhile now. But, paw injuries are the most common hiking injuries in dogs and I don’t want to pack her out if she cuts her paw or gets an abscess (which has happened once.)
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 01:13 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I’m section hiking part of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia soon.

What’s your advice? Gear? Do’s and dont’s? Places to visit?

Bringing my youngest daughter and our oldest dog. I’ve had to educate myself on hiking with your menstrual cycle. So that’s in my browser history now. Should I get those stupid hiking boots for dogs? I feel like dogs have went without them for quite awhile now. But, paw injuries are the most common hiking injuries in dogs and I don’t want to pack her out if she cuts her paw or gets an abscess (which has happened once.)

Start now, before the temperature and humidity rises..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Since I’m bringing our daughter, I have to pack to the anxiety level of my wife. So this ain’t no ultralight hike. Not that I would ever spend an extra $300 to cut three ounces of weight on ultralight gear.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 01:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Start now, before the temperature and humidity rises..

No doubt. We’re going first week of April. April and October are the two best months to be outdoors in Georgia, in my opinion. And it can still get pretty cold at night in the mountains.

By now, I’ve lived in Georgia longer than I did in Ohio. It’s definitely hotter here in the summer. But, I grew up along the Ohio River and I’d say it prepared me well for the Georgia humidity.
Reply/Quote
And the f’n mosquitoes here. I’ve had to sleep with my ear plugs in at Ft. Benning just to sleep through the nonstop buzzing from the mosquitoes. So annoying.
Reply/Quote
it will be probly a lot of incline hiking not sure how old your dog is but use caution. as my pups dont walk as far when they got older.

Be cautious of the local wildlife. and take lots of pictures
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 04:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: it will be probly a lot of incline hiking not sure how old your dog is but use caution. as my pups dont walk as far when they got older.

Be cautious of the local wildlife. and take lots of pictures

I’ve got a bad knee so I’ll probably be the slowest. Good news for everyone else if we have an unlikely bear encounter. I’m more worried about people than wildlife.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 01:28 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: No doubt. We’re going first week of April. April and October are the two best months to be outdoors in Georgia, in my opinion. And it can still get pretty cold at night in the mountains.

By now, I’ve lived in Georgia longer than I did in Ohio. It’s definitely hotter here in the summer. But, I grew up along the Ohio River and I’d say it prepared me well for the Georgia humidity.

Yea. I grew up in the Ohio Valley it definitely helped when I got to Ft. Benning and later Ft. Polk. I watched alot of guys from out west fall over from the humidity training at Ft. Benning.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 06:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea. I grew up in the Ohio Valley it definitely helped when I got to Ft. Benning and later Ft. Polk. I watched alot of guys from out west fall over from the humidity training at Ft. Benning.

I haven’t thought of Polk in a long time. Been there for JRTC 3-4 times. Went to Ft Chaffee at least twice.

I don’t think most people appreciate how humid southern Ohio is.
Reply/Quote
A folding solar USB power bank can allow you to keep your phone charged for photos, weather reports, and call for help in the event of emergency if you have service. The device can be strapped to the top of your pack with the panels cascading down so it charges while you hike. Here are a couple of options:

https://www.stealthangelsurvival.com/products/portable-10-000mah-4-fold-solar-dual-usb-charger-and-led-light?variant=606949539849¤cy=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkY-trMbr_QIV5Y1bCh1UtAC3EAYYAiABEgL5rfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/25000mAh-Hiluckey-Compatible-Smartphones-Waterproof/dp/B07FMFGGNR/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=solar+usb+charger&qid=1679351463&sr=8-9
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 07:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: A folding solar USB power bank can allow you to keep your phone charged for photos, weather reports, and call for help in the event of emergency if you have service. The device can be strapped to the top of your pack with the panels cascading down so it charges while you hike. Here are a couple of options:

https://www.stealthangelsurvival.com/products/portable-10-000mah-4-fold-solar-dual-usb-charger-and-led-light?variant=606949539849¤cy=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkY-trMbr_QIV5Y1bCh1UtAC3EAYYAiABEgL5rfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/25000mAh-Hiluckey-Compatible-Smartphones-Waterproof/dp/B07FMFGGNR/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=solar+usb+charger&qid=1679351463&sr=8-9

A solar charger is on my wish list. Haven’t taken the time to research them. Thanks for the recommendation.
Reply/Quote
You should go and climb Mount Everest first just to see if your little girl and dog can take it..If not then the Appalachian trail is right out..  You know..I might have that sequence of events backwards..  Do the Appalachian trail first then the highest mountain on earth.. I'll be rooting for you all.  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Don't forget about your own feet. First time I went to Vegas, I walked the strip like crazy and feet were sore as heck. Put in some Dr Scholl's now when I go and it's much better.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 10:27 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Don't forget about your own feet.  First time I went to Vegas, I walked the strip like crazy and feet were sore as heck.  Put in some Dr Scholl's now when I go and it's much better.

Excellent point.  Make sure to have some moleskin / second skin (or whatever they are called these days) in your first aid kit for dealing with blisters or burns.  While on the subject of feet, sock liners can help to lighten your pack.  If you aren't familiar with them, they are super thin and lightweight liners that you wear on your feet underneath your socks.  This allows you to reuse your thick hiking/trekking socks throughout the trip, while just changing the thin liners daily.  Not only are you cutting weight because of carrying fewer pairs of socks, feet are supposedly less susceptible to blistering with the liners.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 09:11 AM)grampahol Wrote: You should go and climb Mount Everest first just to see if your little girl and dog can take it..If not then the Appalachian trail is right out..  You know..I might have that sequence of events backwards..  Do the Appalachian trail first then the highest mountain on earth.. I'll be rooting for you all.  ThumbsUp

I would like to hike to the Everest base camp one day.  I'm not interested in summiting, though. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 10:27 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Don't forget about your own feet.  First time I went to Vegas, I walked the strip like crazy and feet were sore as heck.  Put in some Dr Scholl's now when I go and it's much better.

This is hilarious to me.

My wife and I walked to a Filipino restaurant in Vegas from our hotel. I don't remember how far, but probably a mile or more.  She wore sandals which were basically just flip flops.  She got blisters and I had to carry her towards the end.  I thought, "Who wears flip flops to Vegas?"

Comfortable shoes for walking has been my best advice for Vegas since.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 10:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Excellent point.  Make sure to have some moleskin / second skin (or whatever they are called these days) in your first aid kit for dealing with blisters or burns.  While on the subject of feet, sock liners can help to lighten your pack.  If you aren't familiar with them, they are super thin and lightweight liners that you wear on your feet underneath your socks.  This allows you to reuse your thick hiking/trekking socks throughout the trip, while just changing the thin liners daily.  Not only are you cutting weight because of carrying fewer pairs of socks, feet are supposedly less susceptible to blistering with the liners.

My first aid kit and my blister kit are out of control and need to be edited down. But, I know as soon as I get rid of something I'm going to need it and not have it.

I got moleskin, hydrocolloid bandages, fixomull tape, tincture of benzoin, Engo patches, Zen toes in S/M/L, and foot powder. I'm trying some 2 Toms foot powder for the first time. (For burns I have Xeroform gauze, hydrogel pads, and good ol' aloe vera.)

I use Darn Tough wool socks for hiking.  Back in the day I would wear thin polypro liners under the Army issued wool socks for road marching.

I'm currently using Merrell MCQ2 boots because I need the ankle support in one ankle due to torn ligaments. They are vented and not waterproof.  I've tried a pair of Salomon and Lowa over the last two years.  And both were comfortable, but the waterproof membrane made my feet sweat too much.

I've got a problem packing too much shit.  An example of a no shit, there I was knee deep in hand grenade pins story . . . 

At Ft. Polk for JRTC with 101st as a battalion PA, they stuck me on the first lift of an air field seizure with no other medics. Only medical equipment I had was what I could carry. I was worried a mass cas could eat through my supplies before other medics hit the ground. So I stole a wheeled trash can from the chow hall under cover of darkness, scrubbed it out, packed it with medical supplies, 550 corded it a Humvee which was sling loaded in. And there I was wheeling this trash can full of medical supplies across the airfield . . . because I was worried about being unprepared and needing something and not having it rather than having it and not needing it.

I change socks and powder my feet everyday. That little bit of extra weight is nominal. Extra socks, a woobie, smoking jacket, and my nomex neck gaitor are worth their weight in gold. Except as a civilian my gear is nicer than what the Army provided.  I have a Gregory backpack and almost shed a tear when I put it on it was so much more comfortable than a rucksack.
Reply/Quote
Scrub your feet every time you shower and don't wear socks till they rot.. New socks aren't that expensive.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote