Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aqib Talib: Why no public outcry?
(02-09-2016, 03:01 PM)Benton Wrote: This.

If we were up by three, Burfict hits someone and we win the game, people say "Damn, that was a solid hit. Refs shouldn't have called it."

If we lose, people point fingers and say "Damn, if he'd kept it together they would've won."

Talib's team won. Winners get treated like winners.

Winning changes the narrative.  It may not be right, but it's how things work.  He'll get suspended, but they won the game and that's all people are focused on.  If the Bengals would have held on, Burfict's hit would not have garnered as much attention either.  Also throw in the fact that the Bengals were on the verge of winning their first playoff game in almost three decades, Burficts history, and you knew it would get talked about.
Reply/Quote
Because he is not a Bengals player doing it against the NFL's golden boys the steelers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 03:01 PM)Benton Wrote: This.

If we were up by three, Burfict hits someone and we win the game, people say "Damn, that was a solid hit. Refs shouldn't have called it."

If we lose, people point fingers and say "Damn, if he'd kept it together they would've won."

Talib's team won. Winners get treated like winners.

So its ok to take cheap shots as long as you are winning, is that what you are saying?
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 11:30 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why is Alib Talib's face mask on a Carolina player during the Super Bowl not drawing more media and public out cry? That was about as dirty of a play you will see.

And then Talib has the nerve to say this about the play:

“[The facemask] I just did on purpose, and I just had to show him. It’s probably going to be a fine, but, hey, we’re world champs.”

Will Talib get suspended next season for the play? Will he get fined?

Is this all Vontez Burficts fault?

Probably.

Here is the video of the play if you havent seen it:

http://deadspin.com/aqib-talib-admits-he-tried-to-rip-corey-browns-head-off-1758007923?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Because The panthers arent crying like babys like the steeler players.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 11:30 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why is Alib Talib's face mask on a Carolina player during the Super Bowl not drawing more media and public out cry? That was about as dirty of a play you will see.

I cannot believe there are still people trying to suggest VB has been treated unjustly. The guy has done some wicked dirty stuff, including the Carolina Panther leg twisting incidents. His brand is "dirty player", so of course he's going to be under greater scrutiny than others and he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt in most cases. 

He brought it all on himself. If he believes that narrative some of you guys are selling, he will be out of the league before you know it. If he can't play at a high level without being dirty, then he doesn't belong in the league.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
Goodell wants to eject any player with 2 personal fouls in a game. Talib would have been gone. I like this new rule. We can see if Jones and Burfict can stay in the game...
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 08:23 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Goodell wants to eject any player with 2 personal fouls in a game. Talib would have been gone. I like this new rule. We can see if Jones and Burfict can stay in the game...

Why wouldn't they be able to? Jones committed two personal fouls over the course of forever since he's been in Cincinnati and Burfict hasn't committed two personal fouls in a game since Buffalo last year.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 08:23 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Goodell wants to eject any player with 2 personal fouls in a game. Talib would have been gone. I like this new rule. We can see if Jones and Burfict can stay in the game...

This rule should have been implemented years ago. Repeat offenders would think twice about committing personal fouls. Like soccer accruing red cards lead to ejection and suspensions.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 11:37 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This rule should have been implemented years ago. Repeat offenders would think twice about committing personal fouls. Like soccer accruing red cards lead to ejection and suspensions.

I know that there are also "yellow cards" in soccer.  Doesn't a yellow card in consecutive games also lead to ejection?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 11:50 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I know that there are also "yellow cards" in soccer.  Doesn't a yellow card in consecutive games also lead to ejection?

Im not sure exactly how it works, im not a big soccer guy, but im sure theres some system in place for players who get carded will get some type of punishment. I thought two red cards in a game meant ejection and suspension for the next match. Regardless I think the NFL is doing the right thing by adopting some similar type of policy.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 11:54 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Im not sure exactly how it works, im not a big soccer guy, but im sure theres some system in place for players who get carded will get some type of punishment. I thought two red cards in a game meant ejection and suspension for the next match. Regardless I think the NFL is doing the right thing by adopting some similar type of policy.

Just looked it up.  A red card is automatic ejection from the game and most often a suspension of 1-3 games to follow.  Multiple yellow cards in the same game, or over the course of two games, equal ejection, but not a suspension in most cases.  I could definitely see them implementing something like this.  If they are actually concerned about player safety...
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 12:02 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Just looked it up.  A red card is automatic ejection from the game and most often a suspension of 1-3 games to follow.  Multiple yellow cards in the same game, or over the course of two games, equal ejection, but not a suspension in most cases.  I could definitely see them implementing something like this.  If they are actually concerned about player safety...

2 personal fouls on one player, immediate ejection on the 2nd foul, and one game suspension. Bam, I bet that would see some results.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 12:14 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: 2 personal fouls on one player, immediate ejection on the 2nd foul, and one game suspension. Bam, I bet that would see some results.

Agree.  I don't think the fines matter in the least to most players.  If you're making $4-5 million a year, do you really care if you get fined $50k?  Even $75-100k is basically chump change to you... an ejection and/or suspension on the other hand, you are letting your team down.  You're not able to play and help your team.  Not to mention the loss of actual game checks, which is substantially more money.
Reply/Quote
Oh it sounds good in theory, but it likely won't make it past the owners or the NFLPA.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 03:09 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Oh it sounds good in theory, but it likely won't make it past the owners or the NFLPA.

This.. Players don't want to lose money, and owners don't want players to miss games. But their needs to be accountability for some of crap that happens on the field.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 11:37 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This rule should have been implemented years ago. Repeat offenders would think twice about committing personal fouls. Like soccer accruing red cards lead to ejection and suspensions.

First two plays Burfict accidentally gets a piece of the facemask next play he cleanly blows up the WR coming across the middle but since we are the Bengals and Burfict has a giant target on his back they throw the flag. And bam the refs cut our nuts off. No thanks.

Makes it even easier for refs to dictate the outcome of games. 
Reply/Quote
I don't know about yellow cards and red cards, but I toyed with the idea of a penalty box once.

What if you had to sit out for 5-15 minutes of game time for a certain type of penalty... It could be effective... IDK though, I don't want to change this game too much. I used to love it and the changes are making it more difficult...
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 12:14 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: 2 personal fouls on one player, immediate ejection on the 2nd foul, and one game suspension. Bam, I bet that would see some results.

And the end of good football as you know it.

This is a terrible stupid idea. Just stupid. It was stupid when Goodell suggested it, it's stupid now.

Until the refs show any ability to get calls right on the field, they shouldn't have the power to eject players. 
Reply/Quote
The only way ejections would work is this:

You bring back the 5 yard unintentional facemask.
You make ALL (and I mean ALL) personal foul calls up for immediate review or at the very least open to being challenged by coaches. If you can't overturn a bad personal foul call ejections will easily target a disproportionate amount of clean hits that are poorly flagged.
Refs have to keep borderline flags in their pockets. No more "it was close, so it was called" shit.
If a specific ref builds a reputation as quick on the ejection or personal foul call, they have to be removed and reviewed and held to a standard like players are.

This will never happen. The NFL will never subject itself or the refs to the level of scrutiny this would require.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I would be fine if the NFL adopted the college targeting rule.

Anyone guilty of targeting, you are ejected. You would have to make it reviewable though, just so you can make sure you get the call right.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote