Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AquaMock 2.0 Mid-FA
It appears that the Bengals plan is to become a run first ball control offense (if only by necessity). This draft is what I think would be likely to happen if that were the case. Run heavy offense here we come.

1. Leonard Fournette RB LSU
[Image: usa-today-8811748.0.jpg]

I wouldn't love Fournette at 9, especially since we have more pressing needs, but I can't say I'd absolutely hate the pick either.  Dude is built like a linebacker and runs violently. Unfortunately this can lead to injuries and he doesn't display the greatest patience, but he exhibits rare speed and acceleration for a guy his size. Replace one LSU guy with another. Hopefully this one ends up being better. 

2. Pat Elflein C Ohio State
[Image: pat-elflein-1b729d2e812144f5.jpg]

Really good explosiveness off the ball and good enough in pass protection to make us forget about Bodine. Lack of ideal size could cause him to slip to the 2nd. Has experience at all 3 interior line spots and our coaches love versatility. If he doesn't take over for Bodine he could compete for the RG spot.  Very strong lower body and his main strength is run blocking. Plus he's a great locker room guy.

3. Demarcus Walker DE Florida State
[Image: DeMarcus-Walker-09152016-43.jpg]

Not the best combine performance and depth at the position causes Walker to drop to the 3rd.  25 sacks over the past two seasons at FSU.  Quick off the ball with a great swim move.  Shows a knack for batting down passes when his rush stalls.  Can kick inside on passing downs and rush from DT (again our coaches love versatility).  Occasionally struggles to set the edge against the run. 

4. Taylor Moton OT/G Western Michigan
[Image: 6_4956506.jpg]

Experience at RT and RG although guard is clearly his better position. Looked good at the senior bowl and had a decent combine. Very strong run blocker.  Defenders don't get away from him once he gets ahold of them.  Won't get beat by the bull rush in pass pro.  Feet are a weakness, but he shows the ability to get to the 2nd level in run blocking. May not slide to us here, but if he's there at the top of the 4th it should be a no-brainer. 

4comp. David Sharpe OT Florida
[Image: AP_784036765343-08302016-43.jpg]

Another massive Olineman who is better in run blocking than pass blocking.  He is decent in pass pro, but struggled against Barnett at Tenn and against Alabama.  Excellent at using his size and length to overcome defenders.  Good hands and straight line movement.  Unfortunately he is very stiff and struggles to move laterally. Played LT at Florida, but is much better suited for RT (or even guard).

5.  Rasul Douglas CB West Virginia 
[Image: 6_4957214.jpg]

One of my favorite CB prospects in the draft. Tall press-man corner who tied for the nations lead in INTs.  Good instincts and excels against jump balls.  So why would he fall to the 5th? One year wonder, mixed performance at the senior bowl, scouts view him as a very scheme specific player, and doesn't have the best speed.  Since I was bummed we didn't take Deiondre Hall last year I get my wish this year. 

5comp. Tedric Thompson S Colorado
[Image: colorado-buffaloes-strong-safety-tedric-...?s=594x594]

Tied for FBS lead with 23 PDs.  Good athlete who played WR in high school and has good hands.  Playmaker who looks to stay in front of routes and read the QB. Unfortunately this leads to him being susceptible to being out of position because he gets baited in. Willing tackler, but doesn't have great size. Could add a few pounds in the NFL.

6. Jalen Reeves-Maybin LB Tennessee
[Image: Jalen-Reeves-Maybin-1.jpg]

Excellent coverage LBer who is on the smaller side. Shoulder injury ended his 2016 season early so durability is a concern.  Had a really strong 2015 playing his best games against Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama. Could end up being the steal of the draft if he can bulk up and stay healthy. 

6comp. Jehu Chesson WR Michigan
[Image: USATSI_8908678.jpg]

NFL size at 6'3" 204 lbs. Lack of production is more due to Michigan's offensive style than his struggles.  Doesn't have amazing straight line speed, but was a top performer in the 3 cone with a time of 6.70 seconds. Not the best route runner, but that can be taught. Has a nasty streak as a run blocker too.

7. Dan Skipper OT Arkansas
[Image: BaAeY30CIAAIjSW.jpg]

Good athleticism for such a tall player (6'10"). The height can be used against him though as he can struggle with leverage.  Played both tackle spots at Arkansas. 

7comp. Jake Elliot K Memphis
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Competition for Bullock.  Decent leg strength.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I like Sharpe but still trying to figure out the consequences that his combine physical showed him to be legally blind in his right eye.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Four OL prospects are just what this team needs, and I like the four you have listed. Pass protection can be taught, it is a technique, while run blocking is more instincts and aggression.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 04:52 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: It appears that the Bengals plan is to become a run first ball control offense (if only by necessity). This draft is what I think would be likely to happen if that were the case. Run heavy offense here we come.

1. Leonard Fournette RB LSU
[Image: usa-today-8811748.0.jpg]

I wouldn't love Fournette at 9, especially since we have more pressing needs, but I can't say I'd absolutely hate the pick either.  Dude is built like a linebacker and runs violently. Unfortunately this can lead to injuries and he doesn't display the greatest patience, but he exhibits rare speed and acceleration for a guy his size. Replace one LSU guy with another. Hopefully this one ends up being better. 

2. Pat Elflein C Ohio State
[Image: pat-elflein-1b729d2e812144f5.jpg]

Really good explosiveness off the ball and good enough in pass protection to make us forget about Bodine. Lack of ideal size could cause him to slip to the 2nd. Has experience at all 3 interior line spots and our coaches love versatility. If he doesn't take over for Bodine he could compete for the RG spot.  Very strong lower body and his main strength is run blocking. Plus he's a great locker room guy.

3. Demarcus Walker DE Florida State
[Image: DeMarcus-Walker-09152016-43.jpg]

Not the best combine performance and depth at the position causes Walker to drop to the 3rd.  25 sacks over the past two seasons at FSU.  Quick off the ball with a great swim move.  Shows a knack for batting down passes when his rush stalls.  Can kick inside on passing downs and rush from DT (again our coaches love versatility).  Occasionally struggles to set the edge against the run. 

4. Taylor Moton OT/G Western Michigan
[Image: 6_4956506.jpg]

Experience at RT and RG although guard is clearly his better position. Looked good at the senior bowl and had a decent combine. Very strong run blocker.  Defenders don't get away from him once he gets ahold of them.  Won't get beat by the bull rush in pass pro.  Feet are a weakness, but he shows the ability to get to the 2nd level in run blocking. May not slide to us here, but if he's there at the top of the 4th it should be a no-brainer. 

4comp. David Sharpe OT Florida
[Image: AP_784036765343-08302016-43.jpg]

Another massive Olineman who is better in run blocking than pass blocking.  He is decent in pass pro, but struggled against Barnett at Tenn and against Alabama.  Excellent at using his size and length to overcome defenders.  Good hands and straight line movement.  Unfortunately he is very stiff and struggles to move laterally. Played LT at Florida, but is much better suited for RT (or even guard).

5.  Rasul Douglas CB West Virginia 
[Image: 6_4957214.jpg]

One of my favorite CB prospects in the draft. Tall press-man corner who tied for the nations lead in INTs.  Good instincts and excels against jump balls.  So why would he fall to the 5th? One year wonder, mixed performance at the senior bowl, scouts view him as a very scheme specific player, and doesn't have the best speed.  Since I was bummed we didn't take Deiondre Hall last year I get my wish this year. 

5comp. Tedric Thompson S Colorado
[Image: colorado-buffaloes-strong-safety-tedric-...?s=594x594]

Tied for FBS lead with 23 PDs.  Good athlete who played WR in high school and has good hands.  Playmaker who looks to stay in front of routes and read the QB. Unfortunately this leads to him being susceptible to being out of position because he gets baited in. Willing tackler, but doesn't have great size. Could add a few pounds in the NFL.

6. Jalen Reeves-Maybin LB Tennessee
[Image: Jalen-Reeves-Maybin-1.jpg]

Excellent coverage LBer who is on the smaller side. Shoulder injury ended his 2016 season early so durability is a concern.  Had a really strong 2015 playing his best games against Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama. Could end up being the steal of the draft if he can bulk up and stay healthy. 

6comp. Jehu Chesson WR Michigan
[Image: USATSI_8908678.jpg]

NFL size at 6'3" 204 lbs. Lack of production is more due to Michigan's offensive style than his struggles.  Doesn't have amazing straight line speed, but was a top performer in the 3 cone with a time of 6.70 seconds. Not the best route runner, but that can be taught. Has a nasty streak as a run blocker too.

7. Dan Skipper OT Arkansas
[Image: BaAeY30CIAAIjSW.jpg]

Good athleticism for such a tall player (6'10"). The height can be used against him though as he can struggle with leverage.  Played both tackle spots at Arkansas. 

7comp. Jake Elliot K Memphis
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Competition for Bullock.  Decent leg strength.

That picture of Dan Skipper makes me laugh. Look at how small the dude he's blocking is!!
Reply/Quote
I'd be very happy with this draft given the circumstances.
Reply/Quote
Too many o line picks but I guess we could put one on PS. Would like to see LB addressed earlier but would still love this draft
Reply/Quote
Just getting the first 4 guys that you listed in this draft would be of great help. They really need a thumper at linebacker though so between LF and Foster will be a tough decision. I like both players.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
1-3
I absolutely love
Reply/Quote