Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aquaman
So I've been pretty hard on DC for a while about making crappy movies and unnecessarily dark movies. My daughter talked me into renting Aquaman and, all told, not bad.

I may actually go back and watch JL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My issue with the move was it was basically the same plot as Black Panther except Aquaman was on the arch of the bad guy in Black Panther lol.
Reply/Quote
The Mexican version is better.

"Aguaman"
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Mexican version is better.

"Aguaman"

Odd, I would have thought it would be more like el hombre del Cerveza. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 01:17 AM)Benton Wrote: So I've been pretty hard on DC for a while about making crappy movies and unnecessarily dark movies. My daughter talked me into renting Aquaman and, all told, not bad.

I may actually go back and watch JL.

I love DC. I've seen every DC movie, and I'm a little more kind on them than most. That said, the best possible thing I can say about Justice League is it's okay. I mean there's some cool stuff in it, but Snyder and Whedon's visions didn't mesh very well. And then there's Superman's mouth....oof...bad CGI is bad.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 09:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: My issue with the move was it was basically the same plot as Black Panther except Aquaman was on the arch of the bad guy in Black Panther lol.

They were filming around the same time. Just a coincidence really, Aquaman just came out later because it's much more VFX heavy.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 01:46 PM)Bryan Wrote: I love DC. I've seen every DC movie, and I'm a little more kind on them than most. That said, the best possible thing I can say about Justice League is it's okay. I mean there's some cool stuff in it, but Snyder and Whedon's visions didn't mesh very well. And then there's Superman's mouth....oof...bad CGI is bad.

Part of it for me, probably, is I only read two DC comics growing up with any consistency. Green  Lantern was one of those, and that movie was so horrible. Then like every other DC movie after was bad.

Suicide squad was ok,but I didn't get the charcoal monsters. WW wasn't horrible, was just kind of boring in parts.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 02:41 PM)Benton Wrote: Part of it for me, probably, is I only read two DC comics growing up with any consistency. Green  Lantern was one of those, and that movie was so horrible. Then like every other DC movie after was bad.

Suicide squad was ok,but I didn't get the charcoal monsters. WW wasn't horrible, was just kind of boring in parts.

Yeah that Green Lantern movie isn't very good. But damn if Mark Strong wasn't perfect as Sinestro. I loved Wonder Woman, it could be a little slow in spots, I'll give you that. I unabashedly love Man of Steel too. Is it a little grim? Sure, but I liked the idea of Superman trying to find his place in the world. Then there was BvS. And that movie is...jumbled, to say the least. Parts of it are so great, and then parts of it you're like wtf am I watching. The director's cut is a superior film, but if you're not a fan of the tone in general, you probably still won't like it. Suicide Squad was meh for me, I thought pretty much everyone was cast well though. I don't feel one way or the other about Leto's Joker, he's only in the movie like 8 minutes so. I really enjoyed Aquaman, I thought it was very fun, and Jason Momoa is a bad ass. I also saw Shazam at an early screening and loved every minute of it. It's everything I wanted out of a Shazam movie.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 03:12 PM)Bryan Wrote: Then there was BvS. And that movie is...jumbled, to say the least. Parts of it are so great, and then parts of it you're like wtf am I watching. The director's cut is a superior film, but if you're not a fan of the tone in general, you probably still won't like it. 

DKR is maybe the greatest short run comic ever. I know BvS wasn't that, but it borrowed some from it, so I have a hard time even giving it a shot.

That said, I'd be open to a real DKR movie, but it would have to be pretty true to the elements.
Reply/Quote
Movie was cool until he died from being over fed.

That ceremonial toilet flush scene made me tear up a bit.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 10:12 PM)Benton Wrote: DKR is maybe the greatest short run comic ever. I know BvS wasn't that, but it borrowed some from it, so I have a hard time even giving it a shot.

That said, I'd be open to a real DKR movie, but it would have to be pretty true to the elements.

BvS has some cool stuff in it, don't get me wrong, but it just feels unfocused. Especially the theatrical cut. The fight scene between Batman and Superman is pretty great, just short. And Batfleck is amazing as Batman. He's just had the misfortune of not being in very good Batman movies.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 09:00 PM)Bryan Wrote: BvS has some cool stuff in it, don't get me wrong, but it just feels unfocused. Especially the theatrical cut. The fight scene between Batman and Superman is pretty great, just short. And Batfleck is amazing as Batman. He's just had the misfortune of not being in very good Batman movies.

I was open to the Batfleck idea. It was weird, sure, but whatever. The thing I had a hard time with was an aged Batman leading the formation of the JLA. 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 12:29 AM)Benton Wrote: I was open to the Batfleck idea. It was weird, sure, but whatever. The thing I had a hard time with was an aged Batman leading the formation of the JLA. 

Batfleck is great, I don't know if you've seen BvS because there's a very specific reason he's bringing the Justice League together and it ties directly to BvS

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 09:12 PM)Bryan Wrote: Batfleck is great, I don't know if you've seen BvS because there's a very specific reason he's bringing the Justice League together and it ties directly to BvS

The idea that I couldnt exactly get was : why old Batman? If this is the launching point for continuity, then why start out with an older actor who probably isn't going to be in a decade or more worth of films.

But I don't think DC looks beyond one film at a time.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 09:43 AM)Benton Wrote: The idea that I couldnt exactly get was : why old Batman? If this is the launching point for continuity, then why start out with an older actor who probably isn't going to be in a decade or more worth of films.

you see Alfred is getting a series before he became the butler?
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 09:43 AM)Benton Wrote: The idea that I couldnt exactly get was : why old Batman? If this is the launching point for continuity, then why start out with an older actor who probably isn't going to be in a decade or more worth of films.

I try not to compare the Marvel movies with the DC movies. I have always liked the top DC characters a little better than the Marvel ones on an individual basis (I totally disliked Ironman until Robert Downey Jr. played him). But I liked the Marvel "connected world" concept better than DC's, and it has transitioned much better to film. In fairness, the DC films have stretched over a longer period of time (their modern era started with the first Superman movie in 1979, IMO) and has a myriad of directors and actors over four decades who, more often than not, just produce one-offs.

I wonder what would have happened to the DC line of movies if they would have signed Tim Burton and Michael Keaton to long term contracts back in the 1980's and ran a long series of movies with them?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote