Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arcola Illinois
Well I'll be damned . Today I bought a dust pan just because I needed one and it turns out to be made in Arcola Illinois.. I've been to Arcola several times on purpose because one of my best friends is from the tiny town in Illinois , population ,about 500 or so.  My friend, Witt, Michael Wittington still lives there with his mama as he has since he was a boy.. Turns out that the dust pan I bought was made in Arcola where the biggest job teenagers ever do every summer is to tassle the corn. If you've ever been in a corn field in Arcola it grows around 20 feet high and you can quite literally not see the sun walking along the stalks AND along the fields between the different fields you can find more than enough wild weed growing.  Free marijuana ! lol.. We harvested pounds upon pounds of it. It's not high quality, but there's LOTS OF IT growing out there every year ..  
I need to call up my old friend to see how he's doing.  It's been about 20 years since the last time we got good and drunk in the area, but he's a good guy . I'll be damned.  A Libman dust pan made in Arcola, Illinois . They're better known for their corn stalk brooms.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I live about 30 miles from there and nobody has ever told me about the weed.
Reply/Quote
Is the interesting part of the story still coming? LOL I was using some Old Spice body wash and it says it's made at P&G in Cincinnati. Hell I live in Cincinnati.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 11:22 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I live about 30 miles from there and nobody has ever told me about the weed.

It's been about 30 years since the last time I was out in those corn fields so things have probably changed since then ,but most of it grew along fence lines from when hemp was a huge cash crop during and prior to WWII.  The area we found wasn't exactly right on the beaten path, a few miles from gravel roads out where the Menonites still farmed things using the old methods..Somewhere between Arcola and Champagne / Urbana I think..it's been awhile.. It's not exactly something that would be on the front page of every local newspaper with detailed maps pointing to the exact locations.. 
I do know that a friend of Mike's decided one day that it would be a great idea to drive his car directly through the corn fields to make it easier to get to it which kind of caught the attention of the local long arm of the law. If memory serves me right he was only arrested for vandalism since he never actually reached his destination.  Nothing like a drunken pot head to inspire true genius, eh?

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
One thing I dislike about cell phones and trying to get in touch with old friends is that unless the person you're trying to find still has the same wired phone number they're almost impossible to find.  For many years we've been able to keep in touch through his mother's phone number ,but that number is no longer works. She probably passed away a few years ago.  Oh well . Privacy has its limitations.. That's one of them. I guess the only way we'll ever get in touch again is if I physically went to Arcola and knocked on every door in town and even then he might have moved to the next town over. 

Reply/Quote
I should be driving through Arcola in 2 weeks. Daughter has a soccer tournament north of there in Champagne. I'll stop and grab a dustpan.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 10:44 PM)Benton Wrote: I should be driving through Arcola in 2 weeks. Daughter has a soccer tournament north of there in Champagne. I'll stop and grab a dustpan.

If you don't mind pick me up a pound or so growing along the fence line. 

Will gladly pay you Tuesday for a pound today.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
But only if it is marijuana !

Because hemp is useless for getting one high which suspect was exactly what it was growing along the fence lines.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 12:47 AM)Go Cards Wrote: If you don't mind pick me up a pound or so growing along the fence line. 

Will gladly pay you Tuesday for a pound today.  

Jerome?

Mellow

Just medical in Illinois. I think you have to be a resident. Which is still leaps and bounds better than Kentucky, where the Governor calls teachers union thugs responsible for child sexual abuse (for protesting removing their retirement), but says it's absurd to consider legalizing and taxing marijuana.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 12:51 AM)Go Cards Wrote: But only if it is marijuana !

Because hemp is useless for getting one high which suspect was exactly what it was growing along the fence lines.

Don't be so sure it is only hemp

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7818

Bob Moomaw was the creator of the world's only Hippie Memorial, an artwork some sixty-two feet long. Moomaw has been dead since 1998, but the Memorial still graces downtown Arcola.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2018, 09:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't be so sure it is only hemp

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7818

Bob Moomaw was the creator of the world's only Hippie Memorial, an artwork some sixty-two feet long. Moomaw has been dead since 1998, but the Memorial still graces downtown Arcola.

Good find but was going by in OP's first post when he stated it was not high quality and in his 2nd post he said it was from the old hemp farms that used to be there. 

But hey count me in for stopping by Arcola if I ever pass that way now. 

Not going to lie, do love me some weed. But he would have had to say it smelled dead like a skunk to really grab my attention. 

Then me and my jar would be heading that way pronto, lol.

Have jar will travel !

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote