Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arden Key to be at PBS today
He’s coming in for a private workout today. This after Cincinnati interviewed him at the combine. It seems they like him. I would not at all be surprised if we heard his name called with one of our picks. I’m not totally against it either. As long as we get one of the top centers and grab another decent guard or tackle at some point, I don’t really care who else we get. Key would be a great addition in Cincinnati.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/3/17193822/bengals-arden-key-pre-draft-visit-after-interviewing-nfl-combine

Reply/Quote
I don't mind Key -- I just don't want to reach for him in Rd. 1. I'd be OK with him in 2, happy in 3.
Reply/Quote
Key is trouble. Significant off the field issues. So yea, he's probably high on the Bengals board. He's cut out the same mold as Cowboys Randy Gregory, and we see how that turned out. Buyer beware.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'd be pretty happy if we got Key in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 10:57 AM)jj22 Wrote: Key is trouble. Significant off the field issues. So yea, he's probably high on the Bengals board. He's cut out the same mold as Cowboys Randy Gregory, and we see how that turned out. Buyer beware.

A little different, I think.  Gregory had/has substance abuse issues, while Key's issues are more in the line of lacks motivation/head-case.  I'd like to think we avoided Gregory because of our experiences with Thurman and Henry.  However, we've had success with certain players that have been labeled unmotivated (Dunlap) and head cases (Burfict), so I can see why we're interested.  
Reply/Quote
IF we draft Key in Round 1, i'll be very disappointed but not in the least bit surprised by this organization. 

With the OL needs we have, what do you think we'll do?  Draft a DE. 

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Can we really include Burfict? He's loved, but he hasn't redeemed himself. He's proven everyone right.

Dunlap yes. I'll give you that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Not really interested in him. Dude has major flaws as a player, and also character concerns.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/arden-key?id=32462018-0002-5600-7475-e8bb743e201f

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
No way in either of first 2 rounds. If he still available in 3rd (especially with 2 picks), maybe then.
Reply/Quote
It's all smoke. We want people to think he is on our radar.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 03:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It's all smoke. We want people to think he is on our radar.

Really hoping this is the case.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 03:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It's all smoke. We want people to think he is on our radar.

It's still hard for me to imagine this organization doing something as smart as that to throw other teams off.

IF we get a center and guard in the first and second rounds, I MIGHT be able to live with this pick since we're thin at defensive end and need guys that can rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
Dosent make sense. We already have key in Lawson. Unless we're switching to a 3-4?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 05:33 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Dosent make sense. We already have key in Lawson. Unless we're switching to a 3-4?

There it is.  If they're going to go after a guy who weighs under 240 lbs. and is a liability against the run, he had better be the next Freeney/Mathis.  He doesn't sound like a great decision maker, or the greatest student of the game.  If he dropped to the 5th round I wouldn't mind it if they rolled the dice.  In the 4th I'd understand it and feel neutral.  Any earlier and I'd be scratching my head.
Reply/Quote
I'm afraid they see Key as a possible replacement for Michael Johnson, i.e., as a 4-3 DE. Coming out of college MJ was 6' 7", 266 (now plays around 280). Key is currently 6' 6", 238 but he's played at 280 (albeit not that well). Optimal playing weight is likely around 250-255, although he's young and has the frame to pack on some more lbs. His 40 time was not quite as fast as MJ's (4.9 v. 4.75), but his other measurables are comparable AND he ran a faster 3 cone drill and 20 yd. shuttle, which are arguably more important for a DE than the 40 time. Plus, his pure pass rush skills are significantly better than MJ's were when he came out of Tech. Considering that he could have been a top-5 pick had he come out last year, I can definitely see our interest. Start him out as a third down/situational pass rusher with Lawson on the outside and Dunlap/Atkins inside ... it could work. Again, I hope they don't reach for him in 1, but I think he's in play at 2. I'd jump on him in 3.
Reply/Quote
I doubt this team has enough vision to go after a pass rusher that's less than 240 lbs. Lawson and Willis are the two lightest edge rushers in a LONG time that were under 270 lbs. They are both 260 lbs. Prior to last year, the Bengals seemed to always prefer edge rushers that were 270+ LBs who were 6'4"+ and long arms.
I can ONLY see Key being added if the team thinks he has the frame to increase his weight by about 20-30 lbs, and that will likely take 1-2 years to achieve (if at all).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Just like last year with Mixon.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
He is an EDGE guy but that is what Lawson was and he did just fine. They probably like his height.
Reply/Quote
Shows how weak the DE class is. I want to like him because i want to add a good DE. Not very impressed with him. 3Rd or later i wouldnt mind it. Anything earlier is a reach
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 02:31 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Shows how weak the DE class is. I want to like him because i want to add a good DE. Not very impressed with him. 3Rd or later i wouldnt mind it. Anything earlier is a reach

I disagree with how weak the edge class is. I actually think it's extremely strong? 
Reply/Quote