Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Bengals on the decline?
Well, with Hue taking the Browns head coach job and other coaches leaving Cincy, are the Bengals at the start of a decline? We've been in the playoffs a lot lately and winners of the division. However, are a lot of Bengals free agents going elsewhere next year? If so, we missed our chance to win it all for a while. Andy and AJ Green will still be a good combo. Eifert will be the best TE in the NFL next year. Hill and Gio may be back as our duo running backs. The defense may suffer some exits of free agents, but should still be near the top. Marvin Jones and Sanu will probably go to another team. With all this, I feel we will repeat as division champions in 2016 but may be 10-6. To me that is not a noticeable decline. Yet.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
We're transitioning. But we've kept the coach. Not sure why MB didn't keep the staff together to give Marvin one last shot. It's odd. Either way it looks like things are falling apart quick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
A lot of speculation in this initial post. I believe in the core players, Marvin's recent coaching hires, and Duke Tobin. I'll wait and see, but I'm feeling okay.
Reply/Quote
We got a strong core and Burfict looks ruthless I think our defense has the potential to be legendary and we got a good QB plus a WR who's elite at times I think even if we're worse then we were this year we could win a playoff game bc were too talented to not make it
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
I'm wondering if AJ McCarron will be traded to a team that needs a starting QB. To me, he deserves to be a starter in the NFL instead of a backup to Andy. I would think we could get a lot for him.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 09:03 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm wondering if AJ McCarron will be traded to a team that needs a starting QB. To me, he deserves to be a starter in the NFL instead of a backup to Andy. I would think we could get a lot for him.

Yea I heard we're trading McCarron to the Browns for 2 first rounds picks.
Reply/Quote
if they can manage free agency properly and draft well, they should be fine, but there are things that need to be fixed
Reply/Quote
WTS that a shakeup in the coaching staff won't be a benefit? DL is completely loaded, for whomever takes over as DL coach. A stricter, disciplinarian at LB coach could just be what the Dr. ordered. As far as the Secondary goes, Carrier is still on board. I can't see the team not signing Iloka and Williams to lengthy deals, in fact I could see them bringing Jones back on a modest deal. And, if there is any merit to the notion that Kevin Coyle is going to be the hire to replace Vance Joseph, or even that DB coach from UM, everything should be just fine for the defense.

Offense shouldn't really lose much. Moving Zampese into the OC position should pretty much keep things stable, for all of the players. I wouldn't expect much of a change in overall scheme, which was working very well until Andy went down. Whomever gets the QB coach position is blessed with the job of coaching a 5 year veteran, for whom the game has seemed to "slow down" immensely in the past year. Not sure why the OP feels that it is likely that both Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu will be leaving in free agency, I'd put my cards on them to be retained.

With that said, I would not say the Bengals are heading into a decline.

Edit: I did not know that Mark Carrier had also stepped down, at the time I wrote this post

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 09:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: WTS that a shakeup in the coaching staff won't be a benefit?  DL is completely loaded, for whomever takes over as DL coach.  A stricter, disciplinarian at LB coach could just be what the Dr. ordered.  As far as the Secondary goes, Carrier is still on board.  I can't see the team not signing Iloka and Williams to lengthy deals, in fact I could see them bringing Jones back on a modest deal.  And, if there is any merit to the notion that Kevin Coyle is going to be the hire to replace Vance Joseph, or even that DB coach from UM, everything should be just fine for the defense.

Offense shouldn't really lose much.  Moving Zampese into the OC position should pretty much keep things stable, for all of the players.  I wouldn't expect much of a change in overall scheme, which was working very well until Andy went down.  Whomever gets the QB coach position is blessed with the job of coaching a 5 year veteran, for whom the game has seemed to "slow down" immensely in the past year.  Not sure why the OP feels that it is likely that both Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu will be leaving in free agency, I'd put my cards on them to be retained.

With that said, I would not say the Bengals are heading into a decline.

Edit:  I did not know that Mark Carrier had also stepped down, at the time I wrote this post

Excellent post.
I agree.
Reply/Quote
I personally feel like this was the best year for our chances of winning the SB.

We have a lot of key players going to be hitting the FA market. Also some questions on the O-line as well.

Hopefully we have another good draft and smart free agency and don't overpay for some mediocre player.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I really don't think the Bengals are on the decline honestly. Next year, I know the players are going to be super hungry for a Championship. No matter what coaches we have, it's the players that play the game and pretty much decide the outcome.

Time to focus on the draft now. I saw a mock with us getting a WR. I figure re-sign Jones or Sanu and draft best DB instead.
Reply/Quote
We have a ton of cap room we should be able to sign the key core guys back. Jones, Iloka, and Sanu should still be Bengals if the front office does their job properly. The rest need to be upgraded anyways for different reasons.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 10:48 PM)Football Bender Wrote: I really don't think the Bengals are on the decline honestly.  Next year, I know the players are going to be super hungry for a Championship.  No matter what coaches we have, it's the players that play the game and pretty much decide the outcome.

Time to focus on the draft now.  I saw a mock with us getting a WR.  I figure re-sign Jones or Sanu and draft best DB instead.

(01-15-2016, 10:50 PM)J24 Wrote: We have a ton of cap room we should be able to sign the key core guys back. Jones, Iloka, and Sanu should still be Bengals if the front office does their job properly. The rest need to be upgraded anyways for different reasons.

Exactly, guys.  No need for folks to get all Nancy, and think that the sky is falling.  Teams that do well, have their coaching staffs raided on a regular basis.  Which has been true of the Bengals, in recent years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Decline?

12-4 with the backup QB playing the last games.

This team isn't on any sort of decline. They have one of the best, if not the best, 53 man rosters in the league. This team is deep and talented and should only get better moving forward. We've lost coordinators before and we didn't miss a beat.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 10:38 PM)magikod Wrote: I personally feel like this was the best year for our chances of winning the SB.

We have a lot of key players going to be hitting the FA market. Also some questions on the O-line as well.

Hopefully we have another good draft and smart free agency and don't overpay for some mediocre player.

Let's see what next year brings.  Most, if not all, of the key players you speak of will be re-signed since we have the cap space.  There's really only one question on the O-line, RT.  That should be covered with last year's draft.

When was the last time we overpaid for some mediocre player?
Reply/Quote
I think we get iloka and one of jones or Sanu signed quick. If they do it right, and move some (leon hall) money around they maybe can keep both. I think if we lose one we go WR in the draft. All depends, if a top corner somehow falls to us, pull the trigger. Although I think they need to sign reggie ASAP, Shawn Williams has impressed me this year. Depends the pice tag on reggie.
Reply/Quote
Not that I want to do a full scouting report of the team, but if we quickly look at the general outlook for next year in comparison to this year, I think we will do alright:
QBs: same (and now we know we have a reliable backup if necessary)
RBs: same
TEs: improved (Hewitt and Kroft both seem legit and will continue to improve)
WRs: hopefully same (if MJ comes back; Sanu leaving won't hurt much)
OL: same, if not improved (Fisher and Ogbuehi should fill in for Andre's absence)

DL: same
LBs: same (hopefully re-sign Vinny)
DBs: maybe worse (if Pacman and Iloka leave)

Kickers: same

And yes, we have coaching changes, but ultimately the HC is the same, the new OC has been here, the DC is the same.  I actually like our chances next year.  The fact coaches are leaving doesn't worry me.  Assistant coaches leaving a great defense like this means one of two things: 1) they are getting more money elsewhere, or 2) they think they have a better shot at a promotion within the new organization than the current one.  The whole "the ship is sinking" is complete non-sense.  
Reply/Quote
Marvins job as long as they keep getting to the playoffs is secure whether anyone likes that or not so position coaches are always looking for the big cheese jobs of OC & DC then HC. They know those opportunities are limited in a winning organization. Has anyone noticed they all go to teams that aren't winning? The opportunity is great on terrible teams and if they can turn them around the opportunities are even better. The same pretty much holds up for any organization that isn't hell bent on continual growth and expansion. It's not like the Bengals have a franchise in every town with 43 teams. There's one Cincinnati Bengals. It's not Burger King where they can just open up a new team down the road by Walmart.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It really depends on how free agency goes. I'm also concerned about the mass exodus of coaches.
Reply/Quote
Decline? No.
Stagnant? Yes.

As good as a team this is, we will never get to the next level with Marv as head coach.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote