Browns
3.33%
2 3.33%
Total 60 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Browns Better Than Bengals?
(09-21-2018, 09:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think the Browns are a good team in the making. I'd bet they'll put up 6 wins this season. Their D is decent and Mayfield is a lot better than Taylor. Not sure why Hue was so stubborn about it ? Trying to not add another QB to the very long list of flops, that he helped pick ?

They're still very much a work in progress though even with Mayfield and we can beat them unless we got caught overlooking them.

Not getting caught overlooking them (or any team) can't be emphasized enough imho. I have to believe the Browns are doing everything they can to win. Every opponent we play gets paid to beat us, so we can't afford to let up on anyone, despite their record. While we have good reason for optimism this year, we have work to do to support that optimism. Penalties need to come down, 3rd down conversions need to improve, and injuries are putting a demand on lessor experienced players. I don't see any game on our schedule as a walk thru the park. Not at just two games into the season. I can't imagine the coaching staff having any other perspective. I sure as hell hope the players have the same attitude.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 07:55 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: baker mayfield has thrown more pump fakes in 1 game than Andy Dalton has in his entire career. Baker is definitely more exciting to watch so far.

Stop it. Next thing you'll be mimicking is that he never looks receives off.

Bash him for his shortcomings but stop with the BS.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 04:18 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Not getting caught overlooking them (or any team) can't be emphasized enough imho. I have to believe the Browns are doing everything they can to win. Every opponent we play gets paid to beat us, so we can't afford to let up on anyone, despite their record. While we have good reason for optimism this year, we have work to do to support that optimism. Penalties need to come down, 3rd down conversions need to improve, and injuries are putting a demand on lessor experienced players. I don't see any game on our schedule as a walk thru the park. Not at just two games into the season. I can't imagine the coaching staff having any other perspective. I sure as hell hope the players have the same attitude.

No doubt !

It's hard to stay focused every game, it's a long season, a grind as ML calls it but you have to.

There's extremely little room for error in a 16 game season. You get caught looking past an opponent it will bite you in the ....... Just ask Mike Tomlin.

And I'd add we have to quit giving up so dang many 3rd and longs on D !
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 04:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Stop it. Next thing you'll be mimicking is that he never looks receives off.

Bash him for his shortcomings but stop with the BS.

But but but he never forces the ball to AJ Green! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
At every level of football, talent wins.

The issue with the Browns have been poor evaluation and drafting, combined with the ever important development and utilization of that talent by coaching staff.

Jaguars had the same issue. Loads of talent, but directionless leadership. Once Coughlin came in, Marrone and he, built them into SB contenders.

Cleveland has recently started drafting well and have a nice collection of pieces on both sides of the ball.

Although I like Hugh, Cleveland needs a Team builder. Hugh is a strategist and a coach. Their new GM is good, but he is an executive and definitely not Coughlin.

In today's NFL, windows of success are open for very short term. The cap and FA kills any continuity.

So, No. Browns are not better than is. Not even close.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2018, 01:27 PM)McC Wrote: Hell no.  They have one of the few HC's in the league over whom I prefer Marv.  Wait and see what a circus their QB situation will be.

Exactly. I'm not sure he would have put Mayfield in Thursday if Tyrod hadn't gotten injured. Still not sure the Mayfield era has started yet because Hugh isn't sure who he's going to start in the next game yet. He seemed amazed at the crowd reaction to the new QB who, in a little over a half of football; threw for more yards than Tyrod and Darnold combined....C'mon man!!! Of course, I'd be perfectly happy if he starts Tyrod against us. Yep Hugh, go with that veteran leadership, that's it! He actually makes Marvin look like somewhat of a genius.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 10:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: The game last night was great for Mayfield, but he will have pains. He made his money last night throwing inside seams and out routes against a lot of off cover 3. Teams are going to watch that tape and bait him going forward jumping those routes, similar to what the Dolphins did last week to Darnold after watching his play against the Lions. The Browns line is still a major issue and their defense is heavily penalized and is not adverse to giving up big plays especially in the middle third.

They are not as bad as they have been and not as good as they looked in the second half last night. The real Browns are somewhere in between, I am guessing they are a 4-6 win team this year. Probably a couple upsets in there and a couple bad losses.

Mayfield gets the ball out Quick and( maybe it's just me) seems like a hard guy to blitz.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 11:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree except for bolded above. You mention so casually they need 2 tackles, then say like us. Our LT Glenn is a monster. 

Mayfield is impressive tonight, they just tied it and he looks sharp.

Yea he's a monster turning 30 with no other legit T option on the team. So yea I would say we need 2 Tackles. We are in the same situation at C. Hopefully Hopkins played well but if not, we will be in the same boat if/when Glenn gets hurt.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 12:13 AM)Sweetness Wrote: Baker Mayfield is the best QB in the division by the end of next year. You heard it here first folks.

How? Is Andy Dalton going to be traded out of the AFC North?
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 01:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: How? Is Andy Dalton going to be traded out of the AFC North?

Idk man...Dalton is a good QB, but Mayfield might turn out to be great. I think the Browns finally hit on this one.

Reply/Quote
As a Bengals fan, Mayfield scares me. It’s not so much his talent as it is his grit, cockiness and determination. What I seen against the Buckeyes sold me, he’s a leader. His talent will determine how good he can be but he has all of the intangibles. Like I said in the offseason, the days of 2 automatic wins are gone. Ben’s time is done though, two automatic losses are over too. There will be great balance and competition in this division in the next few years.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 01:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: How? Is Andy Dalton going to be traded out of the AFC North?

Agreed.

Two quarters of football isn't enough to make any judgement.

Dalton's strength is quick release, which means he has the one quality that is a must for a successful passer - anticipation.

You make a decision within one and a half second and deliver. There aren't many plays or receivers that can separate in a second and a half and get to the spot. So, the QB has to anticipate where his guy will be at 3 seconds when he decides at one and a half second.

Some of that comes with familiarity with your receivers, but most of that is on the QB.

I didn't see that from Mayfield Thursday night. So until he shows that, I think it may be premature to make a judgement.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 02:26 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Agreed.

Two quarters of football isn't enough to make any judgement.

Dalton's strength is quick release, which means he has the one quality that is a must for a successful passer - anticipation.

You make a decision within one and a half second and deliver. There aren't many plays or receivers that can separate in a second and a half and get to the spot. So, the QB has to anticipate where his guy will be at 3 seconds when he decides at one and a half second.

Some of that comes with familiarity with your receivers, but most of that is on the QB.

I didn't see that from Mayfield Thursday night. So until he shows that, I think it may be premature to make a judgement.

Clearly you didn't watch him at all in College or pay attention to how he played once he came in. Is it premature to claim he's going to a star? Absolutely. But all I saw from him in that half is exactly what he did his entire college career. 

Like another poster said, it's not just his physical skills that make him good; Which I think alot of people underestimate. But his intangibles are what separates him from the other QBs. 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 03:06 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Clearly you didn't watch him at all in College or pay attention to how he played once he came in. Is it premature to claim he's going to a star? Absolutely. But all I saw from him in that half is exactly what he did his entire college career. 

Like another poster said, it's not just his physical skills that make him good; Which I think alot of people underestimate. But his intangibles are what separates him from the other QBs. 

One of the reasons NFL scouts weren't sold on Mayfield was because Oklahoma's system is extremely QB friendly. If you don't believe me look at their current QB Kyler Murray being mentioned as a Heisman candidate already.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 03:06 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Clearly you didn't watch him at all in College or pay attention to how he played once he came in. Is it premature to claim he's going to a star? Absolutely. But all I saw from him in that half is exactly what he did his entire college career. 

You seem passionate about the kid, but I will still defer till there is enough body of evidence.
Reply/Quote
Mayfield played a little over one half. Yes, he looked good, though it can't be ignored that he had absolute crap before him in contrast. He did look like a real NFL QB and Tyrod didn't.

Like others have said, let's see what he does week after week. One half does not a legend make.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 05:58 PM)McC Wrote: Mayfield played a little over one half. One half does not a legend make.

...especially against the Jets. If Baker Mayfield did this against New England or Kansas City I might take notice — but he didn’t.
Reply/Quote

You do understand that a lot of stars lined up for Mayfield in this game don't you ?

They were playing the Jets whom despite the week 1 hype aren't that good. There was basically zero pressure on him, he didn't start he could afford to take chances and he did, he threw a straight up interception, hit the defender right between the numbers. 

And speaking of turnovers remember his first drive was like 12 yards or something and Hyde ran it in, Hyde had both TD's. They got two tries at the two point conversion.

Mayfield didn't throw a TD pass and the Jets only scored 17 points.

I think we need to see more before placing him as the best AFCN QB
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 11:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think we need to see more before placing him as the best AFCN QB

Hence why I gave him 29.5 games to get there...
Reply/Quote
Mayfield's going to have to do a lot more than beat a shitty team like the Jets. One win in two seasons and we're supposed to be scared? LOL.
Reply/Quote