Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are God’s Commandments Foreshadowing?
“Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”

God damnit is a common phrase, but are there phrases like that in other languages?

Did God know that it would be so common in English that it needed to be condemned?

Are God’s Commandments foreshadowing and proof He exists?
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 11:28 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”

God damnit is a common phrase, but are there phrases like that in other languages?

Did God know that it would be so common in English that it needed to be condemned?

We say "God dammit" in English, and yes, there are many languages that have similar phrases. For instance. in German you can say "Gottverdammt". There is a long list of languages that have a similar phrase and you can find that list here. In short, it isn't exclusive to English. The original idea behind taking God's name in vain is subject to debate, but there is belief that it either referred to using his name in an effort to feed your own vanity or agenda. There is a passage that lends some credit to this...

Quote:This people honors me with their lips,
but their heart is far from me;
in vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.

Isaiah 29:13. This article/blog sums it up as...

Quote:bearing God’s name in vain refers to false teachers, hypocrites, and those who do wrong in God’s name.

I am not going to claim this for a certainty as I don't know, and cannot find, scholarly interpretations on it but this isn't far off as this individual is studying the original Hebrew and attempting to understand the translations.

Is it proof that God exists? Well, we have established that is potentially a difference in meaning between the original intention versus the modern interpretation and that phrases like "Goddammit" isn't exclusive to English. The answer depends on the person, but in an objective sense the answer is no. There is no objective proof that God, or any deity exists or has ever existed. You can find proof in almost anything if you try hard enough, but it won't hold up to scrutiny as there are so many unknowns. I don't think we as humans will ever have a definitive answer as to whether God exists or not, which is why we define belief in God as "faith". We have no proof that he exists, but many choose to believe that he does. 
Reply/Quote
As above, if I were looking at judgment day I'd rather have to atone for saying "god damn it" a million times while watching the Bengals rather than using "I swear to god" or "this is what god wants" or "god wants me to ____" or "god's already forgiven me for ___, why can't you?" to cover up a bunch of self-serving deception.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I prefer JFC personally. That gets me off the hook, right?? :)
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 11:28 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”

From what I've read...and this is recent for me as I was taught that that was the sin too...taking god's name in vain is more about using it improperly versus swearing:

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2022/july-august/lords-name-in-vain-meaning-10-commandments-sbc-abuse.html

Also...don't stone people over it!  Tongue

And lastly, no...the ten commandments are no more a sign of god being real than anything else in the bible. That is up to your faith.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 03:47 PM)basballguy Wrote: I prefer JFC personally.  That gets me off the hook, right??  :)

Not at all, unless you are some kind of Arian.  Attitude

We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, the
maker of heaven and earth, of things visible and
invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the
begotten of God the Father, the Only-begotten, that
is of the essence of the Father.

God of God, Light of Light, true God of true God,
begotten and not made; of the very same nature of the
Father, by Whom all things came into being, in

heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

https://www.armenianchurchlibrary.com/files/creed.pdf
Reply/Quote
Taking Gods name in vain is the opinion of the heart. I don't think screaming God Damnit is a sin at all. It's a reaction and not one that you really mean what you say anyway. Are you really thinking about God when those words fly out of your mouth, or thinking about the dropped pass or whatever? I think taking Gods name in vain is using his name for false teaching or profit or leading people away from him by purposely misinterpreting for personal gain. When you speak of God, you have the responsibility to be correct to your heart as he comes to you. 

A friend of mine and me were talking once about God and how I let some of the things in the bible cause fear in my heart. This topic is one of them. I was taught God was to be feared and you better do what he says and 10 commandments stuff. I feared I would go to hell on just about anything I said, thought or did. One thing he told me, which changed my life forever, gave me a reason to relax a little and embrace him even more.

He says, Dog, you have 3 children. Think about how much you love your children. They look at you as their Father and they love and trust you. As a father, you want nothing but the best for them and give them all the love you can. Now X that by infinity and that's how much God loves you. So, the way you look at your children, is the way he looks at you. That's when it hit me like a brick.

My children have said things in anger, have done things against my wishes, have lied to me. They've done things I've forbidden them to do. I wouldn't throw them in a lake of fire for anything they've ever done. Nor do I think I ever could at any cost. I don't care what it is. 

I'm just going to hang on to what my heart tells me and that's God exists, he's there for me. Most of the bible was written metaphorically because Christians' were slain for their beliefs then. WTS, how could anyone take the bible to heart? Everything is just another persons interpretations. I'm not saying the bible is false. I do think the interpretations are close. However, it has to be what God has done for you in your life and how he speaks to your heart which makes it concrete. 

I'm also leaning into the belief that there is no such thing as hell. But thats another topic for another time.

Reply/Quote
This is all premised on the notion that an invisible being is somehow overseeing thousands upon thousands of years of human suffering, relentless wars,never ending greed, who is all seeing, all powerful,  who will send you to burn forever and ever and ever even if you screw up just once in your life and forget the magic words because..get this..he loves you..
Go with the Tooth Fairy because I'm pretty sure all of you received cold hard cash for your teeth as kids..God never left anything under my pillow..not even a fancy chocolate mint! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'll worry more about Fenrir devouring the sun than anything Biblical, considering how much of the Bible is torn from Pagan religions anyways.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 04:39 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I'll worry more about Fenrir devouring the sun than anything Biblical, considering how much of the Bible is torn from Pagan religions anyways.

Just looked outside..Apparently the score is Sun 1000000000 Fenrir 0.. 
Stick with the benevolent Tooth Fairy.  Even if all your teeth fall out you can still get dentures.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 04:39 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I'll worry more about Fenrir devouring the sun than anything Biblical, considering how much of the Bible is torn from Pagan religions anyways.

The Bible preceded Norse mythology. The Old Testsment by a couple thousand years.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 01:19 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The Bible preceded Norse mythology. The Old Testsment by a couple thousand years.

The written Norse mythology came after the Bible however the oral tradition easily pre dates the Bible

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 07:25 AM)pally Wrote: The written Norse mythology came after the Bible however the oral tradition easily pre dates the Bible

It was my understanding that the Jewish mythology of the Old Testament easily predated the Scandinavian mythologies, but if that’s wrong then my bad for not double checking.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 01:19 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The Bible preceded Norse mythology. The Old Testsment by a couple thousand years.

Uh huh - Fenrir was just the first thing that popped in my head for a doomsday scenario using a pagan example.

The Old Testament isn't older than the Egyptian pantheon, or Roman, or Greek, or countless others that it borrows from.

As to whether the Bible borrows from oral Scandenavian lore, I genuinely don't know. Again, just the first thing that popped in my head.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
There should be THREE commandments.

https://youtu.be/CE8ooMBIyC8?si=PHSQzdOt1dn_3bq6
Reply/Quote
How it started:

Quote:Genesis Chapter 1

[1:1] In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth,
[1:2] the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.
[1:3] Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
[1:4] And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
[1:5] God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
[1:6] And God said, "Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters."
[1:7] So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome. And it was so.
[1:8] God called the dome Sky. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
[1:9] And God said, "Let the waters under the sky be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear." And it was so.
[1:10] God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good.

How it's going:
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
I don't know about God's Commandments, but I think there is some foreshadowing in the Bible somewhere, like 2 Thessalonians 2:3-12.

Quote:3 Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, 4 who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. 5 Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? 6 And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, 10 and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, 12 in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

A deceiver who is the man of lawlessness and who exalts himself as a God...

I guess we just need to wait for Jesus to come down and use the breath of his mouth...Ninja Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote