Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Ogbuehi and Bodine salvageable under Pollack?
What do we think? Will a change in technique and coaching philosophy work wonders with these two, or are they simply lost causes at this point?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Hell no, neither one is any good,imo. Wasted big reaches on draft picks. BUT, it appears a couple of our lower picks are very good, and just need playing time. THOSE guys can be coached!
Reply/Quote
I'll let him tell me that but they do need an infusion of talent & size according to my old eyes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 11:34 AM)Big Boss Wrote: What do we think?  Will a change in technique and coaching philosophy work wonders with these two, or are they simply lost causes at this point?

We know Bodine is weight-room strong, but he has a terrible anchor. Perhaps that can be corrected under Pollack, but I don't think it's worth the risk. There are easily 3-4 good C candidates in the upcoming draft that can anchor and get push in the run game.

There's no salvaging Ogbuehi. He's always been a passive blocker and is weak, so I don't see that will change under Pollack.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
F*#$ No!!!!! Nothing to see here move along
Reply/Quote
This may raise a few eyebrows, but with proper instruction, Bodine may be salvageable.

He played in a run-first offense at UNC, opened some massive holes for Gio Bernard. With the exception of a few outstanding physical wonders each year, the bulk of the players in the NFL are all in about the same ballpark when it comes to talent and physical ability.

This is just my opinion, but i feel that things like scheme and technical instruction are vital to the development of players. Obviously, everyone in the organization agreed that Bodine was physically capable right out of college, otherwise there ain't no way in hell Marvin would have allowed a rookie to just be handed the starting role. The problem was that PA filed to utilize a blocking scheme that worked to the strength of his players, and also failed to instruct his players on how to properly execute what he was trying to run.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sunset- really respect your opinion but I just don't see this.

I have seen Bodine thrown into Dalton's face too many times.

We need to sign a good free agent center or at a minimum draft one in the second round.
Reply/Quote
Doubtful. Bodine lacks strength off the line and Ced's problems start with mental issues. Ced needs to go to a sports psychologist to even begin improving himself. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Possible? Maybe. Likely? No.

Let Pollack bring in his own guys rather than try to salvage someone else's.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 11:34 AM)Big Boss Wrote: What do we think?  Will a change in technique and coaching philosophy work wonders with these two, or are they simply lost causes at this point?

Well ill trust Pollack to figure that out.

a little coaching can go a long way for some guys and apparently they weren't getting much here on the OL the last 24 years
Reply/Quote
If they're currently under contract and there's no one available who's clearly better? Give 'em a chance with Pollack. Or at least keep 'em until cut down day during Training Camp.

If they're currently a free agent? Let them stay a free agent.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Maybe

yet hope they bring in serious competition for each of them via FA and early draft picks just in case they still suck.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 12:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Possible? Maybe. Likely? No.

Let Pollack bring in his own guys rather than try to salvage someone else's.

Gimme Brown/McGlinchey (or maybe even Connor Williams given his 2016 tape) at OT and Price (if available in Rd 2)/Ragnow/Bozeman at C.
Good run-blocking OT and C.
I truly believe a combo of those guys will really fit Pollack's style and make this offense respectable again.

I didn't list Nelson, Hernandez, or Wynn because I think OG is much more set than OT/C and have confidence a combo of Boling, Westerman, and Redmond can be solid. But if the team selected either, I'd still be happy because they are very damn good OGs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Ultimately just hope Pollack gets to make this decision instead of being saddled with players.

Just give him the reins and see what happens.

Following PA believe is like following Bratkowski in the fact that it probably can not get worse

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'll trust the coach. If he watches film and thinks they can be saved I'll go with it. The guy has coached some of the best lineman in the league over the last 5 years so I am sure he knows what does and doesn't work.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 12:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'll trust the coach. If he watches film and thinks they can be saved I'll go with it. The guy has coached some of the best lineman in the league over the last 5 years so I am sure he knows what does and doesn't work.

We know that Paul Alexander was allowed to hand-pick his guys.
I do wonder if Pollack will get to do the same in his very first year in Cincinnati?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 12:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We know that Paul Alexander was allowed to hand-pick his guys.
I do wonder if Pollack will get to do the same in his very first year in Cincinnati?

I'd hope so, the guy was part of one of the best O line the league has seen in decades.
Reply/Quote
I will leave that up to "The Maestro". Since PA was "Piano Man" I feel like this upgrade deserves a higher title.

In general, the Bengals need to invest heavily into the O Line. Whether that means scouting/drafting young talent or bringing in quality FAs they have to get guys on the roster who will compete. Bodine had virtually no competition for his spot.

Let's be real honest here, a good carpenter never blames his tools, but word on the street is the last guy to turn water into wine hasn't been around for nearly 2000 years. This new coach had great talent in Dallas and hopefully has an eye for what he needs to be successful. This is where I see a huge benefit to having the coaching staff be part of then off-season rather than a GM and huge scouting department where the coaches take a backseat.

I don't care who the players are. If this guy thinks he can make them work great... great. If not.... peace out.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 12:04 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Sunset- really respect your opinion but I just don't see this.

I have seen Bodine thrown into Dalton's face too many times.

We need to sign a good free agent center or at a minimum draft one in the second round.

Well, I never said anything like "he's absolutely salvageable', I said "may" be salvageable, before I went on to explain why I think it might be possible.

In other words, I'm hoping that Pollack can do something with a few of these players.  Why?  Because I feel like it's not possible to find a new Center and two Tackles in the same draft, and have them all be ready to start on day 1.

When you look at the Centers in the upcoming FA crop, it looks pretty lean.  Yeah, yeah, some talk about Richmond Westburg from the Giants, but he's actually opposite the type of player that we need, in order to deal with NTs against those 3-4 fronts that we are so often beaten up by.

You notice also that I didn't even offer a glimmer of hope for Ogbuehi?  That's because I don't think he's got an ounce of what it takes to be an aggressive, dominate OL in the NFL.  Dude is soft, technique looks like a couple of lazy dance steps, and the only nice blocks I've ever noticed from him came against guys half his size.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 01:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I will leave that up to "The Maestro". Since PA was "Piano Man" I feel like this upgrade deserves a higher title.

In general, the Bengals need to invest heavily into the O Line. Whether that means scouting/drafting young talent or bringing in quality FAs they have to get guys on the roster who will compete. Bodine had virtually no competition for his spot.

Let's be real honest here, a good carpenter never blames his tools, but word on the street is the last guy to turn water into wine hasn't been around for nearly 2000 years. This new coach had great talent in Dallas and hopefully has an eye for what he needs to be successful. This is where I see a huge benefit to having the coaching staff be part of then off-season rather than a GM and huge scouting department where the coaches take a backseat.

I don't care who the players are. If this guy thinks he can make them work great... great. If not.... peace out.

I think "Bear" is a better nickname given his emphasis on mauling in the run game. No?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote