Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are Steelers and Ravens Fans Happy About Their Drafts?
Are Steelers and Ravens fans happy about what their teams did in the draft?

Most experts and websites I've seen grade their drafts as C or, in a few cases for the Steelers, D.

On the same token, I have seen some sites and experts rank the Bengals as having a C, but most of those use taking a center that was injured as their reasoning, which is stupid because it's not that big of a deal and he'll be full-go for the season.

The Steelers drafted a guy in the first round that wasn't projected to go until day 3 or late day 2....... real smart.

How do you feel about your drafts?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 04:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Are Steelers and Ravens fans happy about what their teams did in the draft?

Most experts and websites I've seen grade their drafts as C or, in a few cases for the Steelers, D.

On the same token, I have seen some sites and experts rank the Bengals as having a C, but most of those use taking a center that was injured as their reasoning, which is stupid because it's not that big of a deal and he'll be full-go for the season.

The Steelers drafted a guy in the first round that wasn't projected to go until day 3 or late day 2.......  real smart.

Honestly I'm fine with it. It's too early to tell which players will be busts or steals, but I'm taking the Steelers FO's word that these guys are great. The thing I was most pissed about is that they traded away Bryant. I'm glad they drafted a WR but I would rather have kept a young cheap proven WR like Bryant for insurance in big games if they need him, then risk a rookie that hasn't proven himself.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 04:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Are Steelers and Ravens fans happy about what their teams did in the draft?

The Steelers drafted a guy in the first round that wasn't projected to go until day 3 or late day 2.......  real smart.

The ONLY way to accurately assess a draft is to attempt to do so several years down the road.  The media outlets all do their grades because people like you eat it up, but they mean very little until the players actually play. 

Remember, there wasn't a single "expert" who thought that either Tom Brady or Antonio Brown went too low (they were both drafted in the 6th round of their respective drafts). Similarly, I don't think any of them thought it was a mistake for James Harrison to not even get drafted.  But several thought Jamarcus Russell would be a star.

So ... let's not get too excited over the "draft experts".
Reply/Quote
I can tell you that I know a single Browns fan who was with us at the draft get-together we had and when I asked who he wanted at #1 and #4 he said "Anyone but Baker Mayfield."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 05:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can tell you that I know a single Browns fan who was with us at the draft get-together we had and when I asked who he wanted at #1 and #4 he said "Anyone but Baker Mayfield."

Life of a browns fan. He should have said "Anyone but Sam Darnold"
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 05:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can tell you that I know a single Browns fan who was with us at the draft get-together we had and when I asked who he wanted at #1 and #4 he said "Anyone but Baker Mayfield."

What in the hell were the Browns thinking?  They could have had Saquan Barkley and Bradley Chubb, one of the top QBs would likely have fallen to pick 33.

Edit: I mean, history shows that the Browns don't know how to draft a QB, anyway. Why not just wait and take whoever's left?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I give the Bengals an A in the draft. They finally got their franchise QB in Logan Woodside out of Toledo. A future star and a steal getting him in round 7.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 08:30 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: I give the Bengals an A in the draft. They finally got their franchise QB in Logan Woodside out of Toledo. A future star and a steal getting him in round 7.

That's actually very funny ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
If I were a Ravens fan would be very excited about Lamar Jackson.

In fact didn't they take like a #16 pick and turn it into the best TE in draft and most exciting player in draft in first round ?

Not a bad start anyway.

Love the Bengals draft except wanted more OL.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 09:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If I were a Ravens fan would be very excited about Lamar Jackson.

In fact didn't they take like a #16 pick and turn it into the best TE in draft and most exciting player in draft in first round ?

Not a bad start anyway.

Love the Bengals draft except wanted more OL.

So did I, but we have Pollack now, and, if he feels comfortable (or even confident) with the guys on the roster, I have faith in him.
Reply/Quote
I originally wanted DJ Moore at 22 or Ridley at 25, but now that I think about it, I actually like the Hayden Hurst pick. Everything I see from this guy is great, aside from his age, which is something I think that is overblown. He's a big body receiving threat that can block at a position group where we have no talent.

I like Lamar Jackson pick (although I am excited to see him), but because it shows to me that the Ravens are headed in a new philosophical direction. They're not afraid to make a bold move. They're not afraid to think about life after Flacco. Even if it doesn't work out, I think this was the perfect opportunity to take a chance on a guy like Jackson.

Orlando Brown is another pick I like. I think the tape shows a guy who can ball and what better situation to keep him focused than playing for his dad's old team? Before the combine he was mocked to us at #16. Notable that his pro-day was significantly better than his combine. Hope he keeps weight and focus under control.

No opinion on Mark Andrews, although I do hear he's one of the top 5 TE prospects. Personally, I'd have preferred we stayed at #65 and taken Justin Reid or Michael Gallup. But he can line up in the slot and Ravens can employ more 2 TE sets.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
Those same pundits said Kirkpatrick would be a good CB. The **** do they know?
Reply/Quote
I thought the Ravens moving back into the 1st to get Jackson was pretty good. Certainly worth a shot there. The Bengals? Who knows?. Even the guys from the best football schools play against a fair amount of crappy schools so no idea how they are going to fare against an NFL team every week.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 09:52 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I thought the Ravens moving back into the 1st to get Jackson was pretty good.  Certainly worth a shot there.  The Bengals?  Who knows?.  Even the guys from the best football schools play against a fair amount of crappy schools so no idea how they are going to fare against an NFL team every week.

Yep.  There are something like 125 Division I football teams out there. And only a small percentage of players on most of those teams are NFL caliber. So you're right - it's very difficult to gage the success of players based on their college careers when they play against such a diluted talent base. It's like predicting high school graduation rankings using only elementary school grades ...

EDIT: The 125 figure does not even include FCS, by the way ...
Reply/Quote

I'm sure I've said this before but I really don't pay attention to the draft.  I don't watch college football regularly enough to know who the players are.  And I've seen enough "sure locks" fail and late round picks excel that I don't put a lot of stock in where they get picked or why either.

(Full disclosure:  The year the drafted Ben I was watching and when they showed his highlight reel from college I did say I liked his throwing motion a lot better than any QB I'd seen in Pittsburgh in quite some time and he might be a good one when he gets his chance.  That's about the extent of my draft comments over the last 15 years.)

Wake me during camp to see how they are adapting and progressing and then pass judgment after the season (maybe two) to see how they did.

That's just how I have always felt about it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 08:30 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: I give the Bengals an A in the draft. They finally got their franchise QB in Logan Woodside out of Toledo. A future star and a steal getting him in round 7.

Would be funny if that post came back and bit your ads. Lol... Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 04:50 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Honestly I'm fine with it. It's too early to tell which players will be busts or steals, but I'm taking the Steelers FO's word that these guys are great. The thing I was most pissed about is that they traded away Bryant. I'm glad they drafted a WR but I would rather have kept a young cheap proven WR like Bryant for insurance in big games if they need him, then risk a rookie that hasn't proven himself.

He didn't want to be there anymore......
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 08:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Would be funny if that post came back and bit your ads. Lol... Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.

Whats a ads? I seen that kid play. Best QB in the draft as far as I'm concerned.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 05:08 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Whats a ads? I seen that kid play. Best QB in the draft as far as I'm concerned.

LOL. Autocorrect can really take the zing out of a 1 liner huh?

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 06:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: LOL. Autocorrect can really take the zing out of a 1 liner huh?
Whats an ads?
Reply/Quote