Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are The Browns Playoff Contenders?
Have the Browns finally gotten over the hump and become playoff contenders?

ESPN thinks it's a possibility, and it's kind of hard to argue with their logic:

It looks like Hue is taking a page from Marvin's book and benching his #1 pick rookie QB in his rookie year and going with the veteran:

Quote:Enter Taylor.

The 28-year-old former Virginia Tech star racked up 65 touchdowns while throwing only 16 interceptions in his three-year stint in Buffalo. His 1.0 percent interception rate was best in the NFL last season, and his 1.3 percent rate over the past three trails only some guy named Tom Brady for best in the league. There are reasons why teams short on roster talent can sneak into a playoff spot (like the 2017 Taylor-led Bills and recently Alex Smith-led Chiefs). And limiting turnovers is the primary one.

It will be interesting to see if Taylor can repeat the success he had in Buffalo mixing rushing with passing, which I think he'll get killed if he tries to run in this division.

Left tackle could be a problem, but the rest of the line looks good:

Quote:It starts with the offensive line. The elephant in the room is the retirement of superstar left tackle Joe Thomas, which leaves the team a bit shaky with 2016 third-round pick Shon Coleman in Thomas' place. That's easily the weakest spot on the line. Right tackle Chris Hubbard was signed away from division rival Pittsburgh and is a solid presence opposite Coleman. Cleveland has invested a lot in the interior line and Joel Bitonio, JC Tretter and Kevin Zeitler are about as good as you'll find. Overall, Cleveland has a top-10 line.

A strong offensive line opens holes for backs and gives Taylor time to sit in the pocket and succeed.

Their receivers look talented if Coleman can live up to his potential and Gordon can keep his head out of his ass:

Quote:The offensive skill players are also better than we've seen in Cleveland in a long time. Josh Gordon has had his share of off-field issues, but the super-talented, 6-foot-3, 225-pound split end is still only 27 years old and has elite upside. Cleveland traded for slot man Jarvis Landry, who ranks third in the NFL with 400 receptions since entering the league in 2014. Corey Coleman has struggled as the team's No. 1 receiver, but the 2016 first-round pick is still only 23 years old.

There's more in the article, including tight end and a solid defense, so are the Browns contenders?

I guess we'll see as they play the Steelers in Cleveland in week 1.
Reply/Quote
It seems for several years now they were about to take that step into contention but never have.

Appears they are poised again, but not a Hue fan, so going with no.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
They've had several years now of drafting 4 or 5 players in the 1st two rounds. They have to do something soon, because it won't be long that they have to start paying all these 1st and 2nd round picks, and will have to let some of them go.....
Reply/Quote
If nothing else Brown's fans will still get their super bowl of the number one overall pick for at least another year.. Maybe.. We'll see. I wouldn't mind seeing them knock Pittsburgh's dicks in the dirt twice a year.. I might even root for them if they did. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I don't know where this notion that Taylor carried the Bills to the playoffs comes from - if anything it was the other way around where the rest of the roster carried him to the playoffs.  Taylor has had a top 5 rushing attack for the past several seasons.  He will be exposed on the Browns.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, going to go with a no on this. Will be impressed if they even pull off 4-5 wins.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 10:14 PM)grampahol Wrote: If nothing else Brown's fans will still get their super bowl of the number one overall pick for at least another year.. Maybe.. We'll see. I wouldn't mind seeing them knock Pittsburgh's dicks in the dirt twice a year.. I might even root for them if they did. 

Not a Browns fan except for on the days they play Pittsburgh. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
If the Browns could kill Tim Couch's career, they can certainly destroy any chance of Mayfield being successful in the NFL.....
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2018, 10:14 PM)grampahol Wrote: If nothing else Brown's fans will still get their super bowl of the number one overall pick for at least another year.. Maybe.. We'll see. I wouldn't mind seeing them knock Pittsburgh's dicks in the dirt twice a year.. I might even root for them if they did. 

I'm with Gramps on this one.  If the brownies can spank shitsburgh this year, I might start believing they've turned the proverbial corner and are playoff contenders. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
No

I have serious doubts about Mayfield.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 03:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No

I have serious doubts about Mayfield.

Why?

I do, too, but I just love the conversation.
Reply/Quote
0-16 to playoffs?
Ah.....no.

End of analysis, end of story.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 04:13 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: 0-16 to playoffs?
Ah.....no.

End of analysis, end of story.

That's all they keep talking about on NFL Network.................

I don't think that they'll make the playoffs, but I also think they won't be the same walk-over for the Steelers that they have been for the past 18 years.

With all the new acquisitions and energized fanbase, I think they could give the Steelers a game in the opening week of the season in the Dog Pound!
Reply/Quote
NO, the Browns are NOT play-off contenders. The 0-16 Browns. The Browns who have won only 1 game in 2 years under Hue. See Fans are stupid. Every year Browns change quarterbacks, coaches, owners so every year fans think this means play-offs. NO, it only mean inconsistency. Too many firings, Too many changes each and every year. The Browns are a revolving door of futility. The Browns are a boat with no rudder going around in circles always in last place. So the Browns made even more changes, still going in circles. The truth is, the Browns have not gone 1-31 for no reason. They have HUGE problems at every position on the field. On Defense, many problems. On Offense, many problems. The Browns may have addressed some areas to improve to a 4-12 season. 6-10 would be a miracle. No way this team goes from 1-31 to play-offs. You are forgetting Steelers and Ravens have great defenses and great play-off type teams and if Bengals have Blocking they will be back as a play-off contender. So go ahead and bet all the money you have on the 1-31 Browns in play-offs, and you might as well buy swamp land and let somebody sell you the Brooklyn Bridge while you are at it. A 4 or 6 win season would be a major turnaround for Browns. The 1-31 Browns have many huge holes on offense and defense and if you don't see that, you have on the rose colored glasses.

Steelers and Ravens still sit above this division because of great defense and good offense. With Blocking, The Bengals can challenge for AFC North because of good defense and blocking will improve offense and defense. Last place for the Browns again. Look, 1-31 is 1-31 and Browns have a long way to go just to win 4 or 6 games in a season. While Bengals won 13 games in last 2 years, Browns only won 1. I think the Bengals will have improved blocking to contend. There isn't anything about the Browns to think play-offs, unless you've been in the hot tub too much with Hue Jackson. Get out of the Hue Jackson hot tub, not only is he not that great, but he should be very close to getting fired. If fired, No, I don't want him back in Cincy. His split offensive line is stupid and it never works. NFL Defenses are too smart for Hue gimmicks.

Here's what some of you do. Load up your Fantasy teams with all Browns offense and defense. Clinch last place in your league early. I've noticed in Fantasy Football you are way ahead if you have players going up against the Browns each week, because the Browns give up big numbers. Again, this is the AFC North. The 1-31 Browns are years away from passing the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals in the standings.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 06:06 PM)kevin Wrote: NO, the Browns are NOT play-off contenders.  The 0-16 Browns. The Browns who have won only 1 game in 2 years under Hue.  See Fans are stupid. Every year Browns change quarterbacks, coaches, owners so every year fans think this means play-offs.  NO, it only mean inconsistency. Too many firings, Too many changes each and every year.  The Browns are a revolving door of futility. The Browns are a boat with no rudder going around in circles always in last place. So the Browns made even more changes, still going in circles. The truth is, the Browns have not gone 1-31 for no reason. They have HUGE problems at every position on the field. On Defense, many problems. On Offense, many problems.  The Browns may have addressed some areas to improve to a 4-12 season. 6-10 would be a miracle. No way this team goes from 1-31 to play-offs.  You are forgetting Steelers and Ravens have great defenses and great play-off type teams and if Bengals have Blocking they will be back as a play-off contenddo r.  So go ahead and bet all the money you have on the 1-31 Browns in play-offs, and you might as well buy swamp land and let somebody sell you the Brooklyn Bridge while you are at it. A 4 or 6 win season would be a major turnaround for Browns.  The 1-31 Browns have many huge holes on offense and defense and if you don't see that, you have on the rose colored glasses.

Steelers and Ravens still sit above this division because of great defense and good offense. With Blocking, The Bengals can challenge for AFC North  because of good defense and blocking will improve offense and defense.  Last place for the Browns again. Look, 1-31 is 1-31 and Browns have a long way to go just to win 4 or 6 games in a season.  While Bengals won 13 games in last 2 years, Browns only won 1.  I think the Bengals will have improved blocking to contend. There isn't anything about the Browns to think play-offs, unless you've been in the hot tub too much with Hue Jackson. Get out of the Hue Jackson hot tub, not only is he not that great, but he should be very close to getting fired. If fired, No, I don't want him back in Cincy. His split offensive line is stupid and it never works. NFL Defenses are too smart for Hue gimmicks.

Here's what some of you do. Load up your Fantasy teams with all Browns offense and defense. Clinch last place in your league early. I've noticed in Fantasy Football you are way ahead if you have players going up against the Browns each week, because the Browns give up big numbers.  Again, this is the AFC North. The 1-31 Browns are years away from passing the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals in the standings.

If I didn't know better I'd assume you don't put much stock in the Browns.. 
I'm definitely not a Browns fan, but if by magic they do suddenly start winning more than 3 or 4 games per season I really really really hope those 3-4 wins come at the Squats and Rats expense .

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Let's see..would you be willing to choke down a few losses to the browns IF it meant they also got to completely knock shitzburg out of contention? Suppose we had the chance to go completely undefeated, but to do so would mean that the Browns had to lose to the sqeelers? Or put it another way,  if by losing to the Browns 2 games it would mean knocking the squeelers out of contention for 10 full seasons? Would you accept the trade off? 
Someone else write this.  It's raining really hard making concentrating on this particular scenario difficult . Lol

Reply/Quote
No, not yet, but I think they will surprise some people, and claw to around 5-11 or 6-10.  Taylor does not turn the ball over, Kizer did. Despite the TOs, the Brownies were in a lot of ball games last year right up until the end.  On paper, they are doing things right, and now have a bona fide GM. They're a few years out from a playoff run, but I don't think they'll be 0-16 pushovers in 2018.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2018, 02:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: No, not yet, but I think they will surprise some people, and claw to around 5-11 or 6-10.  Taylor does not turn the ball over, Kizer did. Despite the TOs, the Brownies were in a lot of ball games last year right up until the end.  On paper, they are doing things right, and now have a bona fide GM. They're a few years out from a playoff run, but I don't think they'll be 0-16 pushovers in 2018.

Once they all get to know each other's names, who knows what might happen? 

I personally don't think Hue is the guy to lead anybody anywhere and I can't wait to see what games he plays with his QB's.

Maybe you can bring in thirty or forty new guys and have it click for you but the odds are it will take some time.   But there is the fact that they have nowhere to go but up.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote