Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Us Fans A Part Of The Problem?
Fans are largely inconsequential in the big picture. Especially when it comes to coaching signings.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:22 PM)thillan Wrote: I'm curious as to how you guys honestly view our fan base as opposed to other teams, and if it has any positive or negative impact on the team.

Do you think we drove coaches or players away? Are we at all a part of the reason for our teams lack of success (Lack of success being no playoff wins... going to 5 straight postseasons is success)? Can we help in any way?

I'm not challenging, just genuinely curious. I wonder because when that report came out that Marvin was leaving, there was some bad talk about how Mike pats and treats coaches.. but I also felt some negativity towards our fans.

Thoughts?

MB is clearly the problem and even entertaining the thought of bringing back Marv proves this.

I don't care for George Clooney's politics but he just sold his vino bidness. Wish he would buy the team.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 03:18 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Only those delusional fans that actually believe they could run the Bengals organization better than the current ownership. I don't have a lot of confidence in current management, and have disagreed many times, but am absolutely sure it has a much greater skil6l set than any of the Monday Morning "wannabes" in the Bengals fan base.

Perhaps in areas such as massaging politicians, shrewd(amoral) business, and navigating legal contracts, yeah the Browns probably have most fans beat. When it comes to actual football knowledge, deferment of responsibilities, or engaging the fan base, the Brown family is extremely deficient. It is as if they view pleasing the actual customer as a secondary goal or a shell game. Without the silver spoon effect, revenue sharing, and the crooked stadium deal, these guys would be out-competed and eaten alive at every turn in the business world. 
Reply/Quote
Steelers fans will tell you they demand excellence or some other nonsense and that's why they're always good. They can choose to believe that fairy tale, but the truth is that fans don't matter. If they did the Bills would have more than 0 Super Bowl wins.

At times I think Bengals fans could turn out more, but at the same time we've been asked to eat so much crap you can't expect people to continue to buy tickets for this. Bengals games really don't have a good return on investment rate. If Pittsburgh had to endure what we've endured they'd have similar attendance issues too.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Fans aren't apart of the problem. Any one of us on this message board can run the Bengals better than Mike and Co. I'm 100% confident.

Not a chance. Crazy talk.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
Just answering the original question: this is an organization that isn't that affected by the fan base in terms of decision making. That much is clear. And really, that's what you want. If you had a team just flying by the whims of the fan base --- I'm not sure how much success you'd have.

I do think the fans have an effect on some players and coaches as people. It's hard to ignore what people did to David Shula's kids in school, or Carson Palmer's home -- but in the end, I think the organization itself is what drove Palmer away. I know the fans bothered Dalton and his teammates by booing him at the All-Star game in his home city, or throwing things at him. But yet the guy funds cancer treatments and buys supplies at Children's Hospital and takes care of families in town. So if he goes away, I think it's for business reasons. That's just me.

In a salary capped league where the bulk of the money is generated by TV, I don't think selling out games or boycotting games helps or hurts the team, either -- not like it did in the 80s and 90s. Not like baseball, where attendance directly feeds into revenue that feeds into player spending in mid to small markets. Same with merch purchases, etc. Maybe if PBS had sold out, or nearly sold out, every single day since it opened it would add something to revenue pool, like maybe the team felt it could totally max the cap all the time because there was always something there...but that's a guess.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:22 PM)thillan Wrote: I'm curious as to how you guys honestly view our fan base as opposed to other teams, and if it has any positive or negative impact on the team.

Do you think we drove coaches or players away? Are we at all a part of the reason for our teams lack of success (Lack of success being no playoff wins... going to 5 straight postseasons is success)? Can we help in any way?

I'm not challenging, just genuinely curious. I wonder because when that report came out that Marvin was leaving, there was some bad talk about how Mike pats and treats coaches.. but I also felt some negativity towards our fans.

Thoughts?

NO

No need to discuss this at all. Mike Brown is more than capable of driving away anyone, including the fans.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm sure there's a few rotten fans in every city with an NFL (or any pro sporting venue) team, but it's a multi billion dollar enterprise. 
It's kind of like saying a multi million dollar Kroger store is closing up because one crazy ***** took a leak behind the building at 2:54 AM and forgot to zip his pants up.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I would say that the media holds more power in this city than the fans. It’s a shame that they don’t have one set of balls between them though. It’s ass kiss and more ass kiss. Revenue sharing means that mike doesn’t have to care about the fans and guess what? He doesn’t! One day though, this bastard will die and only then will there be any chance for this football team to win. I’m not wishing him death, not a damn thing will change though until he is not alive. How bleak is that?
Reply/Quote
I certainly don't think there is any sort of causal relationship between the fan behavior and the team's performance on the field (apart from home field advantage type stuff). But that said, I do think Cincy fans are a.... unique breed. My father and I use the term FFOC: Fickle Fans Of Cincinnati. And we've been Bengals fans for 40 years plus (me, he has since the team started).
Reply/Quote
I think our public hatred of Mike Brown in some way antagonizes him to make these kinds of moves.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 02:41 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Just answering the original question: this is an organization that isn't that affected by the fan base in terms of decision making. That much is clear. And really, that's what you want. If you had a team just flying by the whims of the fan base --- I'm not sure how much success you'd have.

I do think the fans have an effect on some players and coaches as people. It's hard to ignore what people did to David Shula's kids in school, or Carson Palmer's home -- but in the end, I think the organization itself is what drove Palmer away. I know the fans bothered Dalton and his teammates by booing him at the All-Star game in his home city, or throwing things at him. But yet the guy funds cancer treatments and buys supplies at Children's Hospital and takes care of families in town. So if he goes away, I think it's for business reasons. That's just me.

In a salary capped league where the bulk of the money is generated by TV, I don't think selling out games or boycotting games helps or hurts the team, either -- not like it did in the 80s and 90s. Not like baseball, where attendance directly feeds into revenue that feeds into player spending in mid to small markets. Same with merch purchases, etc. Maybe if PBS had sold out, or nearly sold out, every single day since it opened it would add something to revenue pool, like maybe the team felt it could totally max the cap all the time because there was always something there...but that's a guess.

But the success rate of ignoring the fan base is not very good at either. 

Not a fan of "the customer is always wrong" mentality but it is MB's calling card it seems. 

Yes, the NFL's success and TV revenue sharing give MB that golden parachute to spit in the fans face on regular basis. 

Still does not make it right though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 02:41 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Just answering the original question: this is an organization that isn't that affected by the fan base in terms of decision making. That much is clear. And really, that's what you want. If you had a team just flying by the whims of the fan base --- I'm not sure how much success you'd have.

And having the local media, with the possible exception of Paul Daughtery, doesn't hurt either, does it?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote