Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are We A Contender Now?!
(01-31-2019, 09:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly, nearly every season there's a team that was 4-12 last season and is hovering on the playoffs this season.

It's by no means impossible ! We have a pretty good core still. But we also have a lot of holes and need to improve our depth. After free agency and the draft we'll have a better feel for where we are.

I'll say we'll be more competitive, i'm not sure we can become a true contender in one off season ?

Spot on, being competitive!  While I am usually an optimistic person and got a little crazy after the 4-1 start last year, I promised myself that I am going to slow my roll this next season. It's going to be exciting offseason and take time to see were all the pieces fit..
Reply/Quote
I don't think this team needs that much to be contenders but they still need work and we also have a ton of free agents that will need to be replaced. With that being said look at where the Rams were two years ago at this time and look at them now. Anything is possible and we're in a better situation then they were at the time.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 12:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Biggest keys to being a contender, IMO, are defense and OL. If we can get a top 15 defense and if our OL can block (or the OC can scheme around it), we will definitely be in the playoffs. As to Super Bowl contender, we'll have to wait and see how good the coaching staff is.

I think that we have enough talent (assuming we fix the backers and OL) that we don't need Belichick to be a contender, we just need average coaches.
Reply/Quote
This team will follow the same course as the Rams did when they hired McVay.

I think the Bengals will do enough to solidify the LB corps and do a better job of finding some depth on OL & DL and we'll make the playoffs next year. Will we win a playoff game? Hard to tell as currently constructed but we'll have a better chance with an aggressive coach that believes in game planning and adjustments. 2020 we go all in hopefully bringing in a star FA and doing whatever it takes to fill any holes left.

And if we all think coaching was the problem, everyone should improve instantly, right? For all we know, Malik Jefferson could instantly turn into a contributor and suddenly that's one LB spot fixed. Westerman could fix RG (or Price moves to RG). Billings, who's already solid at NT could completely break out and be that guy next to Geno. I'm not counting on all these things to happen but providing an example of how coaching changes everything.

I think it's really important for them to dive into FA so they don't have to be pressured into a certain player at 11 and they can go after talent over need as they've done in previous drafts. Bengals typically draft well from 2nd round to 5th round, so finding a TE, DT, WR, etc isn't something we should worry about IMO. But counting on a draft to fix an entire LB unit and 2 spots on OL isn't something they should count on.
Reply/Quote
Sorry ass Marv and his antiquated schemes and methods truly beat this fan base down.

Six wins? R U ***** kidding me?

Zac Taylor is The One. Lots of words on this board and nationally will be eaten.

We are through being Pittsburgh's bitches and we WILL go back to owning the Shitstains and their punk ass QB.

A new day is coming. Have the balls to celebrate it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The Bengals are not and will not be contenders until they actually contend.

Still waiting to see that from a Mike Brown run team. Haven't seen it out them since Paul Brown passed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 03:13 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know we have a few holes to fill and I know some positions need to be strengthened, but could this team be a contender if things fall right?!

Taylor is going to bring in his own coaching staff, which means that they'll be qualified, especially since he's a young guy and will have more fire than Marvin, as well as more knowledge for the modern, offensive-oriented game.  Taylor will also bring a new energy to the team that the players will relate to.  He had the Broncos and Cardinals chasing after him this offseason, so I feel pretty good about him being qualified for the job.

As I mentioned, we do have some holes to fill and positions to strengthen. For instance, we definitely need to improve the line, as well as one or two linebackers, but that can be done through the draft and free agency.  Maybe bringing in a tight end would help.  I like Bates but I think Williams needs some competition.  

People bash Dalton, but the guy will have a former quarterback coach (and former college quarterback himself) leading the way and forming game plans to his (and the rest of the team's) strengths.

We have AJ, who's still one of the top receivers in the league and will also greatly benefit from the coaching changes, and we have young guys across from him like Core, Ross, and Boyd, who could also breakout with a change of scenery.  

Mixon's an absolute beast and could be in the running for the rushing title, and we also have Bernard to change things up and keep defenses off-balance.

I'm pumped about our defensive line with Atkins and Billings because I think he'll have a better year than anyone that's ever played NT/LDT and I think he can do a lot of damage.  With those two in the middle of the line, I'm excited what guys like Dunlap, Hubbard, MJ, Lawson, etc., can do on the outside when they're single blocked.

A pass rush will greatly help our corners and I think we could finally see them play to their potential.

I'm also excited for new coordinators and what they can do with the talent on this team.

I had more but I'm playing poker online and I'm tired, but are we a contender now?!

Yes mainly ffor nfl history worst to first , parity ... as i stated mainly time health today with th parity of our league makes all teams possible plus we has stabilty and quality at QB RB WR DLine and CB
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 09:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly, nearly every season there's a team that was 4-12 last season and is hovering on the playoffs this season.

It's by no means impossible ! We have a pretty good core still. But we also have a lot of holes and need to improve our depth. After free agency and the draft we'll have a better feel for where we are.

I'll say we'll be more competitive, i'm not sure we can become a true contender in one off season ?

Agreed.  I'm not expecting playoffs in Taylor's first season as a coach.  What I would like to see, though, is a team that is prepared in big games/Primetime, one that doesn't get completely outcoached and embarrased, and one that makes adjustments when something isn't working.  If that happens, I'm perfectly willing to give Taylor some time and see how the team progresses for a few seasons.

And for the love of everything holy, BEAT THE FRICKING STEELERS!
Reply/Quote
The team was what, 4-1 at one point last season with everyone healthy?
They're not THAT far away.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 03:13 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know we have a few holes to fill and I know some positions need to be strengthened, but could this team be a contender if things fall right?!

Taylor is going to bring in his own coaching staff, which means that they'll be qualified, especially since he's a young guy and will have more fire than Marvin, as well as more knowledge for the modern, offensive-oriented game.  Taylor will also bring a new energy to the team that the players will relate to.  He had the Broncos and Cardinals chasing after him this offseason, so I feel pretty good about him being qualified for the job.

As I mentioned, we do have some holes to fill and positions to strengthen. For instance, we definitely need to improve the line, as well as one or two linebackers, but that can be done through the draft and free agency.  Maybe bringing in a tight end would help.  I like Bates but I think Williams needs some competition.  

People bash Dalton, but the guy will have a former quarterback coach (and former college quarterback himself) leading the way and forming game plans to his (and the rest of the team's) strengths.

We have AJ, who's still one of the top receivers in the league and will also greatly benefit from the coaching changes, and we have young guys across from him like Core, Ross, and Boyd, who could also breakout with a change of scenery.  

Mixon's an absolute beast and could be in the running for the rushing title, and we also have Bernard to change things up and keep defenses off-balance.

I'm pumped about our defensive line with Atkins and Billings because I think he'll have a better year than anyone that's ever played NT/LDT and I think he can do a lot of damage.  With those two in the middle of the line, I'm excited what guys like Dunlap, Hubbard, MJ, Lawson, etc., can do on the outside when they're single blocked.

A pass rush will greatly help our corners and I think we could finally see them play to their potential.

I'm also excited for new coordinators and what they can do with the talent on this team.

I had more but I'm playing poker online and I'm tired, but are we a contender now?!

Whoaaaaaa Guy!

We are far from a contender, unless you want to compare us to Rocky 1 and the goal was just to finish!

What we do have is hope! Hope that we have a coach now that can take us deep into the playoffs and into a SB victory at some point.

With Marvin Lewis it was over before the season began, this is a new lease on hope and excitement.

But contender? Not yet Marlon Brando...
Reply/Quote
Lol I mean lets at least officially hire some coaches before we start prediciting glory days ahead. lol
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 03:25 PM)Earendil Wrote: Agreed.  I'm not expecting playoffs in Taylor's first season as a coach.  What I would like to see, though, is a team that is prepared in big games/Primetime, one that doesn't get completely outcoached and embarrased, and one that makes adjustments when something isn't working.  If that happens, I'm perfectly willing to give Taylor some time and see how the team progresses for a few seasons.

You know, this is where I'd like to see a culture change. Us worrying about beating the Steelers. Division rival, what do I mean? I mean the Steelers shouldn't be anymore important than beating 30 other teams.  I get us fans get amped up for Steeler Week, whether they admit or not, I'm sure our players do to, ask Mr. Burfict how he feels. To me, the little brother syndrome doesn't work when you have a goal. Maybe with no connections between them and our new staff, might help in that regards....
Reply/Quote
Lest we forget we should have beaten the Steelers in the first game, but they got away with a blatant uncalled illegal pick play which won it for them.
Reply/Quote
Way too early to know anything. This team could be a big flop again as much as it could be a playoff contender based on what little we know right now.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

Please no more MJ starting over Lawson or Hubbard and not as enthused about Core. Nothing personal toward you or the players I mentioned. As far as the original point it were a number of games that we could have won and should have. So I dont think we are as bad off as the national media want everyone to think. We had punksburg until the illegal pick at the end and the bad 2 point call against the Chargers come to mind instantly. We just need and right tackle and a linebacker or two along most importantly no major injuries to key players. It's too many stars on offense to not put up points, along with a fresh regime on that side of the ball to not succeed. I think maybe Price should go back to RG like he was at OSU and Hopkins take over center. As far as the defense a linebacker in rd 1 or 2 should do wonders as the line and secondary are the strength of the defense. 
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 03:25 PM)Earendil Wrote: Agreed.  I'm not expecting playoffs in Taylor's first season as a coach.  What I would like to see, though, is a team that is prepared in big games/Primetime, one that doesn't get completely outcoached and embarrased, and one that makes adjustments when something isn't working.  If that happens, I'm perfectly willing to give Taylor some time and see how the team progresses for a few seasons.

(01-31-2019, 04:06 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You know, this is where I'd like to see a culture change. Us worrying about beating the Steelers. Division rival, what do I mean? I mean the Steelers shouldn't be anymore important than beating 30 other teams.  I get us fans get amped up for Steeler Week, whether they admit or not, I'm sure our players do to, ask Mr. Burfict how he feels. To me, the little brother syndrome doesn't work when you have a goal. Maybe with no connections between them and our new staff, might help in that regards....

(01-31-2019, 04:31 PM)804 fan Wrote: Please no more MJ starting over Lawson or Hubbard and not as enthused about Core. Nothing personal toward you or the players I mentioned. As far as the original point it were a number of games that we could have won and should have. So I dont think we are as bad off as the national media want everyone to think. We had punksburg until the illegal pick at the end and the bad 2 point call against the Chargers come to mind instantly. We just need and right tackle and a linebacker or two along most importantly no major injuries to key players. It's too many stars on offense to not put up points, along with a fresh regime on that side of the ball to not succeed. I think maybe Price should go back to RG like he was at OSU and Hopkins take over center. As far as the defense a linebacker in rd 1 or 2 should do wonders as the line and secondary are the strength of the defense. 

Bingo fellas

It's not just needing a RT or a MLB, or a WLB or a TE or a new offensive scheme, new defensive mind set, or running MJ and Redmond out there when they're not getting it done.

We need a complete culture change ! We have to learn how to win, learn how to put our foot down on teams necks ! You're not gonna beat Pittsburgh and all the other good teams playing not to lose.

Can they fix all of that in 7 months ?
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 04:31 PM)804 fan Wrote: Please no more MJ starting over Lawson or Hubbard and not as enthused about Core. Nothing personal toward you or the players I mentioned. As far as the original point it were a number of games that we could have won and should have. So I dont think we are as bad off as the national media want everyone to think. We had punksburg until the illegal pick at the end and the bad 2 point call against the Chargers come to mind instantly. We just need and right tackle and a linebacker or two along most importantly no major injuries to key players. It's too many stars on offense to not put up points, along with a fresh regime on that side of the ball to not succeed. I think maybe Price should go back to RG like he was at OSU and Hopkins take over center. As far as the defense a linebacker in rd 1 or 2 should do wonders as the line and secondary are the strength of the defense. 

Lawson was used to rush the passer... MJ to stop the run...    Lawson was also on IR most the year so
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 04:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Lol I mean lets at least officially hire some coaches before we start prediciting glory days ahead. lol

For reals...

As of now, this is a losing team three times over who just gambled big on position coaches with new roles. We all wanted Marvin gone so bad that we figure it can only go up from here. I hope we do... But I'ma have to see it to believe it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 03:49 PM)Tomkat Wrote: The team was what, 4-1 at one point last season with everyone healthy?
They're not THAT far away.

The players on this team have heart, no doubt about it.  They gave all they had, coming out of the gate last season.  It's not their fault that they fell victim to injury and lack of talent with blockers and tacklers.

However, to the question posed by the OP;  Are we a contender now?  Absolutely not.  This team has miles to go, before they will be able to be considered "contenders", in the serious sense of the word.  Heck, they have exactly one (1) Offensive Tackle currently under contract, a huge question mark at the RG position, a grand total of one (1) starting quality LB on the team (Nick Vigil), facing a personnel shortage at CB, Lack of quality depth at WR, AND for some reason a black hole keeps swallowing up our TEs year after year.

I predict that it will take at least a year for the new coaching staff to fully implement what they want to do X's and O's wise, as it will take likely two offseasons for them to get the personnel on the team, and set up to accomplish what they want to do.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 05:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bingo fellas

It's not just needing a RT or a MLB, or a WLB or a TE or a new offensive scheme, new defensive mind set, or running MJ and Redmond out there when they're not getting it done.

We need a complete culture change ! We have to learn how to win, learn how to put our foot down on teams necks ! You're not gonna beat Pittsburgh and all the other good teams playing not to lose.

Can they fix all of that in 7 months ?

Dalton and most of his teammates have beaten lots of good teams.  If not for the mind-boggling domination by the Steelers the Bengals would have one of the best records against winning teams since 2011.

All this talk about "playing not to lose" is BS.  Bengals never lost a game under Marvin Lewis because they were too conservative with a lead.

If Taylor is as good of a coach as Lewis but figures out how to beat the Steelers we should be a contender this year.
Reply/Quote