Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are We A Contender Now?!
(02-01-2019, 01:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one is settling for mediocrity.  I wanted Marvin replaced as much as anyone.  I just think it is silly to claim that we are automatically going to be better just because we replaced Marvin with a guy who has never been more than a position coach before.  

The claim that ANYONE would be better than Marvin is absurd.

To act like there's no way to improve on him is just as absurd.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 01:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one is settling for mediocrity.  I wanted Marvin replaced as much as anyone.  I just think it is silly to claim that we are automatically going to be better just because we replaced Marvin with a guy who has never been more than a position coach before.  

I agree with that but .500 in the regular season, 0-7 in the Playoffs and always losing to your bitter Division rival is mediocre in my opinion and that is putting it nicely.

We CAN do better.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 01:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: To act like there's no way to improve on him is just as absurd.

And that is exactly why no one is saying anything like that.
Reply/Quote

So you dislike the guy so much you have to tell lies about him?  This is obviously motivated by your intense fear of how bad he is going to make the object of your man love look when he takes over and makes everyone ask Marvin Who?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with that but .500 in the regular season, 0-7 in the Playoffs and always losing to your bitter Division rival is mediocre in my opinion and that is putting it nicely.

Agreed.  That is why we all agreed Marvin had to go.

My point is that mediocre is not the bottom level, so there is no guarantee that we are going to be better just because we got rid of Marvin.

If we had hired some NFL coach with a better track record than Marvin I would agree, but unfortunately no one like that was available.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 01:57 PM)McC Wrote: So you dislike the guy so much you have to tell lies about him? 

I am sorry.  In the future I will add "for more than 5 NFL games".
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Agreed.  That is why we all agreed Marvin had to go.

My point is that mediocre is not the bottom level, so there is no guarantee that we are going to be better just because we got rid of Marvin.

If we had hired some NFL coach with a better track record than Marvin I would agree, but unfortunately no one like that was available.

Yeah and i am willing to give Taylor some time. Big jump from QB coach to HC in the NFL.

All indications though are that he is a great communicator, innovative and has a great football mind.

Also, if Del Rio becomes the DC i think this Defense should be much better. I mean we won 6 games last year with the worst Defense ever. Taylor might have a better foundation for immediate success than we know. But he hasn't even been officially announced yet so...
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 02:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am sorry.  In the future I will add "for more than 5 NFL games".

True is true and not true is not true.  Or are you just a stickler for the truth when it applies to people other than you?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
I find it ironic most (someone said 90% disagree with Fred) are making excuses of lack of talent now since their excuse of ML went away.

I wanted ML gone, but how can anyone say if is talent issues in 2019, but blamed ML 100% in 2018?

It makes no sense since 2018 group started 4-1, then injuries occurred to key players at a rapid rate. I think injuries and not poor coaching by ML accounted to a larger degree for a bad 2018.

Thus, if the new guy can avoid injuries, we should be back to the playoffs and that should be our expectation based on the talent level + new additions.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 02:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah and i am willing to give Taylor some time. Big jump from QB coach to HC in the NFL.

All indications though are that he is a great communicator, innovative and has a great football mind.

Also, if Del Rio becomes the DC i think this Defense should be much better. I mean we won 6 games last year with the worst Defense ever. Taylor might have a better foundation for immediate success than we know. But he hasn't even been officially announced yet so...

Face it, Nate.  Fred doesn't want Zac to succeed because of how it will reflect on Marv.

Reply/Quote
I said this in another thread, but if they obtain a high tier FA like OT Trent Brown who is a monster at RT, it would signal to me as a fan that they are serious about contending. Brown would be costly however. I do not know if he can play LT if Glenn continues to struggle with injury and performance but Brown is huge man at 6'8" i think 350 or so.

They could then draft White at #11 if he is there, and draft Adderley in round two who could swing safety/cb. They would still need TE and another back and OT, possibly another Guard.

But signing Trent Brown would be a statement signing IMO.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with that but .500 in the regular season, 0-7 in the Playoffs and always losing to your bitter Division rival is mediocre in my opinion and that is putting it nicely.

We CAN do better.

We did not always lose to them, so clean up your facts and quit embellishing.

I have seen few who said ML should not be gone. The dev=bate is why does the new guy get a pass if ML was the reason we lost as portrayed by a lot of fans. They could care less about injuries and acted like he had a Super Bowl talent roster.

To each his own, I think the new guy needs to deliver wins and playoffs in year one to solidify it was a ML issue versus many other factors.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 02:09 PM)McC Wrote: Face it, Nate.  Fred doesn't want Zac to succeed because of how it will reflect on Marv.

We can all say you did not want ML to succeed in 2018 too, but it does not make it accurate. I don't always agree with Fred, but to assume our issues were 100% a result of ML is a reach. Fred is just saying if you and others are correct, then the new guy should push us into the playoffs again. Why s that an unrealistic expectation in 2019?

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 11:53 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, this is when we will start to really see the difference and might have to wait right into the regular season to really see it. But i expect to hear a different tone around here and as McC said, atleast now him and i have hope. It was stale around here and i didn't expect a Playoff win in like the last 3 outings we got there under Marv. After the Steeler debacle he should of been gone and there was no chance for us after with him as we saw.

This ends now for me, or atleast once the new coaching staff is confirmed.

I now will have hope and it is nice to have.

If this team goes out and gets 1-2 FAs that I would consider to be solid starters while also landing some draft prospects that I either think would be a good fit or end up liking after reading up more on them (typically this happens with Day 3 prospects), I'd be very positive about considering the team as a contender again. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 02:09 PM)McC Wrote: Face it, Nate.  Fred doesn't want Zac to succeed because of how it will reflect on Marv.

Could be i guess. Weird, would like my team to succeed regardless of who the HC is...

(02-01-2019, 02:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We did not always lose to them, so clean up your facts and quit embellishing.

I have seen few who said ML should not be gone. The dev=bate is why does the new guy get a pass if ML was the reason we lost as portrayed by a lot of fans. They could care less about injuries and acted like he had a Super Bowl talent roster.

To each his own, I think the new guy needs to deliver wins and playoffs in year one to solidify it was a ML issue versus many other factors.

Don't have the numbers but don't act like we even got close to splitting with the Steelers over the years under Marv Luvnit. The dude even grew up a Steelers fan for God sake. If you are fine with his record against the Steelers i guarantee you are alone on that one as far as us Bengal fans. Completely ridiculous to lose that often to your Division Rival.

The new guy gets a pass cause he is the new guy and if you just expect Taylor to come in here and make the Playoffs in year one i think that is a bit much. Shit, took Marv years to sniff the playoffs and he lost every frickin' time he got there.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 02:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We can all say you did not want ML to succeed in 2018 too, but it does not make it accurate. I don't always agree with Fred, but to assume our issues were 100% a result of ML is a reach. Fred is just saying if you and others are correct, then the new guy should push us into the playoffs again. Why s that an unrealistic expectation in 2019?

You can just go argue with yourself.  Got nothing to say to you.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 02:07 PM)McC Wrote: True is true and not true is not true.  Or are you just a stickler for the truth when it applies to people other than you?

I apologized because I was wrong.  What is your problem with that?

Some people do not consider "interim" appointments the same as being hired for a position, but I will admit that he has been an OC for 5 NFL games.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we had hired some NFL coach with a better track record than Marvin I would agree, but unfortunately no one like that was available.

Actually, there was someone just like that available, Mike McCarthy.  I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that McCarthy has a better track record for success in the NFL than Marvin Lewis, and he had been available for a fair amount to time.  Evidently, the front office team made a conscious decision to move toward a younger, up and coming type of HC candidate for their selection.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Link to me saying I don't want Taylor to succeed or STFU.

Taylor has never been a head coach.  He has never even been hired as an NFL coordinator.  I am a huge Bengal homer so I hope he takes us to the Super Bowl, but there is nothing on his resume that guarantees he will be better than, or even as good as, Marvin.

I agree with everyone that we needed a new head coach.  But I also realize that Marvin Lewis was better than a lot of other NFL head coaches so there no automatic guarantee that we will be better under Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 02:11 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I said this in another thread, but if they obtain a high tier FA like OT Trent Brown who is a monster at RT, it would signal to me as a fan that they are serious about contending. Brown would be costly however. I do not know if he can play LT if Glenn continues to struggle with injury and performance but Brown is huge man at 6'8" i think 350 or so.

They could then draft White at #11 if he is there, and draft Adderley in round two who could swing safety/cb. They would still need TE and another back and OT, possibly another Guard.

But signing Trent Brown would be a statement signing IMO.

I mean Trent Brown has been playing LT for the Pats this year and we could cut Glenn to free up some dough for him...
Reply/Quote