Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are We A Contender Now?!
(02-04-2019, 10:28 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If that was a joke, don't quit your day job. It was a jab, not a joke. I know my stance is in the minority so your minions will be n attack mode shortly. But, last time I heard a mob does no consist of 2 or 3 people. So not sure how 3 can bully 50, but whatever.

God bless and have a great week. I will move on as time to put it to bed, we disagree, I say the 2002 team did suck and their 2-14 record is the proof. But, you stick with your point. It is based on a popularity contest of opinion with no factual basis.

Evidently, you only pick and choose what you want to read, throughout this thread I have used plenty of statistics and facts to back up my opinions.  If you choose to gloss past those parts, and only hold on to what you believe, then I can't help you.  Good evening to you, as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 10:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Evidently, you only pick and choose what you want to read, throughout this thread I have used plenty of statistics and facts to back up my opinions.  If you choose to gloss past those parts, and only hold on to what you believe, then I can't help you.  Good evening to you, as well.

Well handled Sunset, you are a classy dude.

Cannot believe he said you were coming off rude. Never saw that at all.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 10:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well handled Sunset, you are a classy dude.

Cannot believe he said you were coming off rude. Never saw that at all.

Weather we want to admit it, or not.  Marvin Lewis had a tremendous impact on this organization.  As a fan, I'm thankful for what he was able to accomplish, and sad that he wasn't able to achieve more.  In my mind, it was time for him to go, about 3 years ago.  I'm ready to let go and embrace the new beginning.  Evidently, some others aren't quite there yet.

One thing that you can always count on from me, is that you'll get my honest feelings on a matter.  If someone chooses to differ, that's fine.  I don't hold grudges.  We're all fans of the same team.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 11:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Weather we want to admit it, or not.  Marvin Lewis had a tremendous impact on this organization.  As a fan, I'm thankful for what he was able to accomplish, and sad that he wasn't able to achieve more.  In my mind, it was time for him to go, about 3 years ago.  I'm ready to let go and embrace the new beginning.  Evidently, some others aren't quite there yet.

One thing that you can always count on from me, is that you'll get my honest feelings on a matter.  If someone chooses to differ, that's fine.  I don't hold grudges.  We're all fans of the same team.

For sure and well said once again. Don't understand the argument here though.

We all should have respect for what Marv did but it is just time to move on to the new and i am excited about it and don't understand why some are not. We needed a change more than any other team in the NFL. I want to see what Taylor and company do, this sure seems like a culture change to me and that is exactly what was needed. No offense to Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 10:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Evidently, you only pick and choose what you want to read, throughout this thread I have used plenty of statistics and facts to back up my opinions.  If you choose to gloss past those parts, and only hold on to what you believe, then I can't help you.  Good evening to you, as well.

I will leave it on the note you needed one last dig. As I stated, we have a huge disagreement on the overall talent under contract right now of what Taylor inherited versus Lewis. I say Lewis far less overall talent, with on position group a tad better which you highlighted the OL.

So, I won't take a shot, I will just agree to disagree.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 11:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will leave it on the note you needed one last dig. As I stated, we have a huge disagreement on the overall talent under contract right now of what Taylor inherited versus Lewis. I say Lewis far less overall talent, with on position group a tad better which you highlighted the OL.

So, I won't take a shot, I will just agree to disagree.

In this entire sidetrack argument, no one has explained why this even matters.  Some people want to turn the page and do.  Others say they want to turn the page but won't.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 09:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The difference is, when Marvin came to town in '03, that team at least had an OL to build from.  This team has some talented skill players, but needs an OL to support them.

(02-04-2019, 11:39 PM)McC Wrote: In this entire sidetrack argument, no one has explained why this even matters.  Some people want to turn the page and do.  Others say they want to turn the page but won't.

The above post is what initiated all of this bickering.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis could never get this franchise farther than 1st RD exits.
one thing about Marvin Lewis playoff teams they never went into the playoffs playing at a high level.
once the Bengals established a playoff spot,the team lost its aggression and tenacity.

I think Taylor will do his best to make sure this franchise stays hungry, sharp etc...add your adjective.
remember Taylor is not inheirting a 1 15 or a 2 14 franchise from 2018.
he has talent to work with and he will bring talent to reinforce his vison and he will jettison players
who he feels cant help.see his vision through.

The North is wide open. Taylor didnt take this job if he didnt think the Bengals could be challengers to the AFC North
year 1.
Reply/Quote
Well seeing as how I am the thread killer let me just post in here so I don't have to read anymore arguing about stupid things. Marvin Lewis was a 16 year stepping stone from absolutely one of the worst teams in the league bar none to a mediocre to decent team in the playoffs every now and again. 

Now we hope our new coach can get us to the promised land. A playoff victory.
Reply/Quote
I don't care about the 2002 team, or any other year's team. What matters is that Taylor can do with the 2019 team.

A playoff loss was Marvin's ceiling. It took Mike Brown 16 years to figure that out.

Hopefully Taylor's ceiling will be higher, but I am certain he won't be given 16 years to show it.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Boyd came into his own last year and Ross still can be a good player, i don't think #2 WR is a need. We need one FA O-lineman and one FA Linebacker that can cover and tackle. I am interested in who our new LB coach is. This is where we need to improve, coaching. A new LB coach was badly needed. Lawson is a quality Edge rusher and Hubbard might grow into one, Dunlap is still good.

I think you forgot about a few players who are already on the team and got injured.

We don't have as many holes as you claim.

Sorry Nate, but I still disagree.

One FA OL?  We need a starting RG and RT. Maybe you are one of those guys who says "but Westerman !!!" However, switching from LG to RG is akin to saying "Well, I write right-handed but I broke my right hand so I'll just write with my left hand with no drop off in writing ability."

One FA LB? Brown can't run or cover ... he's a "thumper". Vigil is a backup, really, and the rest of the LB corps sucks (I'm leaving Burfict out of the equation because I think he's done).

The players who got injured are, primarily, backups IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 11:01 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Sorry Nate, but I still disagree.

One FA OL?  We need a starting RG and RT. Maybe you are one of those guys who says "but Westerman !!!" However, switching from LG to RG is akin to saying "Well, I write right-handed but I broke my right hand so I'll just write with my left hand with no drop off in writing ability."

One FA LB? Brown can't run or cover ... he's a "thumper". Vigil is a backup, really, and the rest of the LB corps sucks (I'm leaving Burfict out of the equation because I think he's done).

The players who got injured are, primarily, backups IMHO.

I think if we got Trent Brown and KJ Wright in FA, then drafted Devin White in the first and a Guard in the 2nd, TE in the 3rd we are sitting pretty but i guess that is just me. I agree about Westerman, he seems to be a LG only. We need a RG cause Redmond isn't cutting it. With my plan the O-line would look something like this....

LT - Trent Brown (cut Glenn if he doesn't improve, has to lose weight)
LG - Clint Boling
C - Billy Price
RG - 2nd round Draft pick
RT - Andre Smith (bring this guy back)

The LB core would look like this...

SAM - KJ Wright
MIKE - Devin White
WILL - Nick Vigil
Reply/Quote
Ha...ha ha...ha ha ha...AHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Reply/Quote
NO
Reply/Quote
We are Tied for First place for the #1 seed in the AFC right now... So still doing good.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 03:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think if we got Trent Brown and KJ Wright in FA, then drafted Devin White in the first and a Guard in the 2nd, TE in the 3rd we are sitting pretty but i guess that is just me. I agree about Westerman, he seems to be a LG only. We need a RG cause Redmond isn't cutting it. With my plan the O-line would look something like this....

LT - Trent Brown (cut Glenn if he doesn't improve, has to lose weight)
LG - Clint Boling
C - Billy Price
RG - 2nd round Draft pick
RT - Andre Smith (bring this guy back)

The LB core would look like this...

SAM - KJ Wright
MIKE - Devin White
WILL - Nick Vigil

I like it. That’s two big time free agents. Time will tell. We hear every year how it will be different. I like your plan though
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I think we need to give it at least 1 season for Taylor to get things in order. Focus on that first.
Reply/Quote
I am excited to see what the new HC and his regime bring to the table. Not nervous, not worried about his experience level (although the Spectre of Dave Shula will always be with us, lol), not apprehensive about a younger staff. Just ready for the DC to be named, FA to begin, etc. This is the most I've looked forward to an off-season in many years, if fir no other reason than it will be different. Most of it is the coach, but some of it is the moves attempted last off-season, which were also out of the Bengals box. So how about we embrace the change and look forward to the off-season?
As to the original question.
As of 2/8/19, ummm, no we are not a contender. But I'm looking forward to the off-season to see how things unfold. Squad changes, recovery from injury (which is not a given,btw)
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 06:49 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I like it. That’s two big time free agents. Time will tell. We hear every year how it will be different. I like your plan though

Thank you sir, if Taylor is serious about being a Contender we need to make two big moves like this.

We can afford it plus we can bring back Dennard so we don't have to draft a Corner early.
Reply/Quote