Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.14 Average
Are We Going To Keep Ignoring Biden Being Insane?
(07-07-2021, 09:59 PM)jason Wrote: If you don't have kids, you ain't black!!!

Read my lips, no new kids. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Anyone seen the news that Biden is instructing the FTC to draft rules to include a "Right to Repair", barring manufacturers from preventing consumers from self repairing, or hiring a person of their own choosing to repair their goods, aimed at saving consumers money on maintenance and repair costs.

Sounds good on the surface, but I think that it can lead to a host if unforeseen issues, up to and including the end of manufacturer's warranties on products.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/biden-orders-new-right-to-repair-rules-for-consumers/ar-AALT0Y5?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 10:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anyone seen the news that Biden is instructing the FTC to draft rules to include a "Right to Repair", barring manufacturers from preventing consumers from self repairing, or hiring a person of their own choosing to repair their goods, aimed at saving consumers money on maintenance and repair costs.

Sounds good on the surface, but I think that it can lead to a host if unforeseen issues, up to and including the end of manufacturer's warranties on products.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/biden-orders-new-right-to-repair-rules-for-consumers/ar-AALT0Y5?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

I suppose, like most things, the devil is in the details.  But without taking a ton of time to read about this most recent proposal, I have to say this is something that seems like it's been long overdue for me.

Fwiw, I watched a few things about  this a year ago on how this affects farmers, specifcally John Deere owners.  It was pretty eye opening.  The lengths these people are forced to go to just to get their equipment worked on is insane.  They could have something totally minor come up, they don't have the software to identify it, and they then have to figure out way to get their 8 ton tractor to a authorized John Deere service center 2 hours away.

I don't know, I think there's some protections and common sense terms the manufacturers could come up with.  I think an easy step would be to start authorizing more indepedently owned shops to do repair work rather than hoarding it all for themselves.  This could help with liability; they could simply shift some of it to 3rd parties.  I also think for certain repairs they could simply void a portion of warranty (You do this at your own risk).

Here's a nice short video that I came across that some of you might enjoy.  I think it really puts into perpective just how crazy some of this stuff is.

Reply/Quote