Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are We Heading To The Super Bowl Yet?
(04-26-2019, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see we already have some blind Zac Taylor homers.

Marvin won 6 games last year with a large portion of the team injured.  We have not lost any significant players.  So If Taylor only wins 4 how the hell could you NOT complain.

I probably would complain if we only won 4 games this year...

Gotta be honest. This team is not that far off and we just landed a solid RT who can also play LT in a pinch.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 04:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sure you said that with McCarron starting.

But if you are claiming you said that when we were 10-2 with the number one defense in the league and we had already beaten the 7-5 Steelers I call 100% bullshit.

I said it before the season started. Its pretty much common knowledge Ive said Marvin Lewis will not bring a playoff victory in Cincinnati after he looked so bad preparing his team with his first losses in the playoffs. You've made comments about me saying that forever.... just because I was 100% right ya can't cry now Argentina. 

(04-26-2019, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see we already have some blind Zac Taylor homers.

Marvin won 6 games last year with a large portion of the team injured.  We have not lost any significant players.  So If Taylor only wins 4 how the hell could you NOT complain.

Rome wasn't built in a day...

You obviously don't take your own advise with Marvin Lewis. All you did was defend and make excuses for him for all those letdown seasons with silly meaningless stats and excuses.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:04 PM)GodFather Wrote: I said it before the season started. Its pretty much common knowledge Ive said Marvin Lewis will not bring a playoff victory in Cincinnati after he looked so bad preparing his team with his first losses in the playoffs. You've made comments about me saying that forever.... just because I was 100% right ya can't cry now Argentina. 

Rome wasn't built in a day...

You obviously don't take your own advise with Marvin Lewis. All you did was defend and make excuses for him for all those letdown seasons with silly meaningless stats and excuses.

Kind of weird how we are now the people that have to defend the Head Coach LMAO!
Reply/Quote
I will say that I believe the only thing that will keep this team from winning more games than it did last season is time.  By that, I mean, how long will it take for the players to adapt to the new schemes and techniques of an entire new coaching staff (save for a few)?  If they pick this up quickly, and having some high caliber vets on both sides will help the transition, I see no reason why they won't at least win 8 games.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:14 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I will say that I believe the only thing that will keep this team from winning more games than it did last season is time.  By that, I mean, how long will it take for the players to adapt to the new schemes and techniques of an entire new coaching staff (save for a few)?  If they pick this up quickly, and having some high caliber vets on both sides will help the transition, I see no reason why they won't at least win 8 games.

What Wyche says.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kind of weird how we are now the people that have to defend the Head Coach LMAO!

LOL

What the hell is going on around here?!?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:20 PM)GodFather Wrote: LOL

What the hell is going on around here?!?

World has turned upside down.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:04 PM)GodFather Wrote: Rome wasn't built in a day...

I don't care how long it took to build Rome.  If we go backwards without losing any players you have to blame the coach.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kind of weird how we are now the people that have to defend the Head Coach LMAO!

I am not attacking Taylor, but I won't be stupid enough not to complain if we get worse with him as our Head Coach.

I agreed that Marvin had to go after the 2017 season.  But I am not so anti-Marvin that I am going to back a coach who makes us worse just to try and prove some point about how "anyone" is better than Marvin..
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 04:20 PM)GodFather Wrote: Actually go look back, I said we still wouldn't win a playoff game against the Steelers with Marvin.

(04-26-2019, 05:04 PM)GodFather Wrote: I said it before the season started.

How did you know we would be playing the Steelers before the season started?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 08:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How did you know we would be playing the Steelers before the season started?

I said before the season it doesn't matter how well we do we wont win a playoff game with Lewis...

and you bitched and moaned how anything could happen...

and it didn't.

and you cant handle that you've been dead wrong all along...

such as life...take your lumps
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 08:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't care how long it took to build Rome.  If we go backwards without losing any players you have to blame the coach.

well if that happens just pretend its Lewis and you'll find plenty of excuses why it happened. Your good at making excuses for coaches who are in over their heads.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 08:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't care how long it took to build Rome.  If we go backwards without losing any players you have to blame the coach.

Yes. And there's definately a chance that we got worse in coaching. We could have got better too, but not a given.

Free agency was mediocre.

Drafting Jonah Williams was great, but lets face it...it was the obvious pick to make. Still they didn't mess it up like the Raiders.

The jury is still out.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 08:59 PM)GodFather Wrote: and you cant handle that you've been dead wrong all along...

such as life...take your lumps

You were wrong just as much as I ever was when you often predicted the Bengals would not even make the playoffs or have a winning record.

So you can't handle the truth either.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:00 PM)GodFather Wrote: well if that happens just pretend its Lewis and you'll find plenty of excuses why it happened. Your good at making excuses for coaches who are in over their heads.

I won't have to.  You have already got a head start on me.

Gruden lost last year because he traded away his best players and you are already trying to act like Taylor did the same thing just to cover your ass.
Reply/Quote
So far this feels like a meat and potatoes draft. Drew is known as a great blocker with fairly good hands, but underused in the passing game in Washington which doesn't mean he can't catch or won't be a very solid TE for us. Williams definitely a solid piece and who knows? Pratt may also become a solid cornerstone of the LB corps.
The only flashy pick was Williams, but he fell right in our lap thankfully.
Adding good, solid players through the draft and avoiding the flashy players who may or may not work out seems like solid strategy. I'm happy so far.
As for the SB? Who knows? It only takes a season with everyone firing on all 8 at the same time with good coaching. I'm not predicting SB, but I'm not saying it's impossible. Right now I'd settle for a winning season without being in dead last all season. I don't think we'll be in last and if we do finish last it won't remain like that very long moving forward.
I'd love nothing more than to see Pittsburg come in dead last and stay there for a decade or more. Admit it.. You WANT Devin Bush to fail miserably...dontcha? I know I do..Maybe Drew will lay him out leaving him on the ground for a year or so. That would make him worth the 2nd round pick by itself.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 01:45 AM)grampahol Wrote: So far this feels like a meat and potatoes draft. Drew is known as a great blocker with fairly good hands, but underused in the passing game in Washington which doesn't mean he can't catch or won't be a very solid TE for us. Williams definitely a solid piece and who knows? Pratt may also become a solid cornerstone of the LB corps.
The only flashy pick was Williams, but he fell right in our lap thankfully.
Adding good, solid players through the draft and avoiding the flashy players who may or may not work out seems like solid strategy. I'm happy so far.
As for the SB? Who knows? It only takes a season with everyone firing on all 8 at the same time with good coaching. I'm not predicting SB, but I'm not saying it's impossible. Right now I'd settle for a winning season without being in dead last all season. I don't think we'll be in last and if we do finish last it won't remain like that very long moving forward.
I'd love nothing more than to see Pittsburg come in dead last and stay there for a decade or more. Admit it.. You WANT Devin Bush to fail miserably...dontcha? I know I do..Maybe Drew will lay him out leaving him on the ground for a year or so. That would make him worth the 2nd round pick by itself.

Karma!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 02:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: Karma!

Actually you have to die first for Karma to take effect, but yeah...same basic premise.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:32 AM)grampahol Wrote: Actually you have to die first for Karma to take effect, but yeah...same basic premise.. lol

Ha ha ha....yep, I was referring to the whole Antonio Brown/Vontaze Burfict/Ju Ju Shit Shizer fiasco. Who knew Antonio didn't really know the meaning of that word? LMAO

Reply/Quote
I see that someone is trying to sabotage the thread with agendas. I'll attempt to bring it back. I almost always feel better after the draft, but that's pretty natural among all fans. It's a time of optimism. That said, I try to be realistic as well.

If things work out, we improved the team a lot today. We got the best lineman prospect in the draft, and followed that up with another fine prospect in the 4th (Michael Jordan). Throw in John Miller and (hopefully) a healthy and improved Billy Price and we could be turning a weakness into a strength. This should be the best Bengals line since 2015 at the very least.

I can't wait to see how the offense works with an offensive minded HC calling the plays. It's nice to know that - good or bad - we can look at the HC being responsible for how this offense performs. I think we'll see a great improvement. We're going from an old-school dinosaur (Marvin Lewis) to a completely new school offensive guy. Our offense will be following the recent trend of the HC calling plays while the "coordinator" plays a different role. Successful or not, it will be entertaining to see and at least we're trying to get with the times.

I like how we traded up a couple times. That signifies a change in how we do things. Before this, I believe we'd only traded up 1 time in the last 20+ years (since Ki-Jana).

I also like how this draft seemed to have a theme. Dominate up front. We took 2 physical and technically sound linemen while also grabbing the best blocking TE (according to PFF) in the draft. We must have big plans for Mixon and the run game (I heard Zac Taylor alluded to that during the draft).

Does this all mean Super Bowl? Of course not, but it's all encouraging to see and we certainly have things to talk about after a pretty miserable free agency.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote