Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are We Moving Away From Two-TE Sets?
We took out top-rated TE in the draft, and Hill did most of his damage from a lone back formation, but I've been seeing sights that talk like we'll have a fullback in the game on most downs.

On ESPN, it even has our main formation for our depth chart as having a fullback. I've seen other sites similar to that, also.

Even CincyJungle talks like we won't have two tight ends on the field at the same time:

Quote:While Eifert will be the clear-cut No. 1 TE, Kroft could be someone to keep on your watch list if Eifert gets injured. Still, a guy who didn't catch a single TD his final year in college isn't someone you should even consider drafting in anything outside of a deep dynasty league.

Sounds to me like they're saying Kroft won't have much value, which I'm not expecting him to light-it-up, but I think he could have a solid year.

Not to mention that a two-tight end set is the best way to attack the 3-4 defenses of the division.

(The article mentions how Rutgers switched to a run-heavy offense last season, which most likely explains Kroft's dropping as far as he did.)

Am I seeing this wrong?
Reply/Quote
Hue is a guy that basically goes with what works. I'm sure if we gash the D with a two TE set, we'lll see more of it. If we gash them with a FB, we'll see more of that. I like the way Hue changes things up until he hits upon something.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 09:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We took out top-rated TE in the draft, and Hill did most of his damage from a lone back formation, but I've been seeing sights that talk like we'll have a fullback in the game on most downs.

On ESPN, it even has our main formation for our depth chart as having a fullback.   I've seen other sites similar to that, also.

Even CincyJungle talks like we won't have two tight ends on the field at the same time:

Sounds to me like they're saying Kroft won't have much value, which I'm not expecting him to light-it-up, but I think he could have a solid year.

Not to mention that a two-tight end set is the best way to attack the 3-4 defenses of the division.

(The article mentions how Rutgers switched to a run-heavy offense last season, which most likely explains Kroft's dropping as far as he did.)

Am I seeing this wrong?

A few thoughts on this...

- Marvin said a few weeks ago that most of Hill's yards came from a two back set: Hill & Hewitt. He said that what was most impressive is how well they worked even with 3 wide. The Bengals see Hewitt as the best fullback in football.

- Kroft's last year at Rutgers was hampered by their system. I am not worked up over him. I think he will evolve into a good, reliable player. In The minis he showed a need to develop for sure.

- CJ Uzomah is the one who intrigues me. Reports were that he did great in the minis. He has to evolve as well, but I see him as a Jimmy Graham type where he is split out wide. He's 6'5, 265, runs a 4.6 and can catch. That is mismatch city for a 3-4 LB.

Hopefully, with Hewitt in the mix at FB, the Bengals start being a little more innovative with their TEs and how they work them down field.

Uzomah or the CB Shaw are the two draft picks who I would look at as who to get a jersey for. I see them having a big impact by end of year.
Reply/Quote
I am kind a of worried about our TE situation this season because we have 2 rookies and a 3rd year player who missed all of last season at that position. So I would think we would see less two TEs on the field because of the lack of experience there.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I mean it's not like they used it all the much in the passing game as it was. Although I could see them implementing Fisher at the TE position quite a bit, giving them 3 OTs on the field like they did in 09.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 01:56 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I mean it's not like they used it all the much in the passing game as it was.

In 2013 we used a 2-TE set about 2/3rds of the time.  Our TEs accounted for about 1/4th of our total pass completions.

But Gresham was a key blocker in our run game.  Now that he is gone I could see us switching to a FB/H-back instead of a second TE.
Reply/Quote
We have to play to our strengths. Not sure that will be 2 TE this year. Seems that was the case last year also with
Tyler getting hurt so early in the year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 12:27 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: We have to play to our strengths. Not sure that will be 2 TE this year. Seems that was the case last year also with
Tyler getting hurt so early in the year.

Hill hits the hole so fast and so hard that a single-back set is definitely his best set to work from, plus having Eifert and Kroft on the field at the same time creates great mismatches with defenses, not to mention, as I already mentioned, that it's the best set to attack the 3-4 defenses of the division.

Since Kroft was our #1 tight end, and tight end was obviously a priority, I can't help but think that the article is wrong.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 04:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hill hits the hole so fast and so hard that a single-back set is definitely his best set to work from, plus having Eifert and Kroft on the field at the same time creates great mismatches with defenses, not to mention, as I already mentioned, that it's the best set to attack the 3-4 defenses of the division.

Since Kroft was our #1 tight end, and tight end was obviously a priority, I can't help but think that the article is wrong.

I'm pretty sure Hill gave Hewitt major props and said he helped him make many of the big runs he got last year. I think Hill likes having a FB.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 09:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We took out top-rated TE in the draft, and Hill did most of his damage from a lone back formation, but I've been seeing sights that talk like we'll have a fullback in the game on most downs.

On ESPN, it even has our main formation for our depth chart as having a fullback.   I've seen other sites similar to that, also.

Am I seeing this wrong?

I saw an interview with Marvin Lewis where he said that Hill did most of his damage running behind Hewitt. If that is true, I'd prefer a FB in the game. Also, Gresham has been a good run blocker and Eifert not so much.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 10:53 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I saw an interview with Marvin Lewis where he said that Hill did most of his damage running behind Hewitt. If that is true, I'd prefer a FB in the game. Also, Gresham has been a good run blocker and Eifert not so much.

My biggest thing is it takes another weapon off the field, even if it does make the defense stack the box more, which I don't think it could much more than they already do (not enough to make it worth taking a receiving weapon off the field).

Eifert's sample size was way too small to even really make a judgement.  Plus, remember how soft of a blocker Gresham was when he came into the league? He only really needs to get in a defenders way because Hill is a good enough runner to cut-off his hip.

Here's Hill's rushing stats with and without a fullback:

Quote:
I-Formation
67 rushes
355 yards
5.3 average
62 long
4 TDs
No Catches
Lone Setback
90 Carries
495 Yards
5.5 average
85 long
3 TDs
15 catches
196 yards
9.1 average
38 long

Seems like a FB is just a wasted body and seems like (this could be wrong) that single-back offers more big play ability, as well as more versatility in the run and pass game.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 09:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm pretty sure Hill gave Hewitt major props and said he helped him make many of the big runs he got last year. I think Hill likes having a FB.

Speaking as a former HS FB I must say I'm sentimental about the position and do think FBs help dynamically block in the run game. But as a football fan I know the old I formation is dying a slow death. Its just so much easier to spread out the defense a little with the threat of a pass and then run up the gut.

Since we have to play to our strengths though, and right now TE's are not that, maybe utilizing Hewitt a bit unconventionally could be a way to catch a defense off guard. Like possibly throwing a quick out to him or using motion to place him outside a TE.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 10:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2013 we used a 2-TE set about 2/3rds of the time.  Our TEs accounted for about 1/4th of our total pass completions.

But Gresham was a key blocker in our run game.  Now that he is gone I could see us switching to a FB/H-back instead of a second TE.

But that was when we drafted Eifert. We didn't use that formation much in 2014, and not much before 2013.
Reply/Quote

On ESPN, it even has our main formation for our depth chart as having a fullback. I've seen other sites similar to that, also.

Am I seeing this wrong?

Kroft brought in to most likely block most of his rookie year getting some passes here and there to keep people honest or to catch them by surprise.. but Eifert is the WR/TE hybrid type and probly wont be left in to block all that often. but when you consider Hewitt is a TE playing FB we will probly have 3 TEs on the field at some points.

Its just a matter of what play is best for what scenario if everyone is healthy and playing well enough to get play time then we will see it mixing up a lot.

but with Hill and the Run game i think we see a lot of 2 TE sets even if the 2nd TE is jake fischer playing the heavy
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 06:20 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: But that was when we drafted Eifert. We didn't use that formation much in 2014, and not much before 2013.

We would have used it a lot more if Eifert had been healthy in 2014.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 05:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We would have used it a lot more if Eifert had been healthy in 2014.

Kind of hard to use him hurt. Just Imo!! Ninja
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 05:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Kroft brought in to most likely block most of his rookie year getting some passes here and there to keep people honest or to catch them by surprise.. but Eifert is the WR/TE hybrid type  and probly wont be left in to block all that often.  but when you consider Hewitt is a TE playing FB we will probly have 3 TEs on the field at some points.

Yeah so why not make Hewitt a Hybrid FB/TE? Just use motion to put him outside a TE or T to change the I form into a strong or even Ace set. Throw some passes out of that to keep the D honest and boom. A new way to play to our strengths and a different way to audible in and out of the I with only one guy in motion.
After reading some of the articles mentioned I have a feeling we will see more utility out of Hewitt this year whether its out of the I or just as a TE.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 05:33 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: Yeah so why not make Hewitt a Hybrid FB/TE? Just use motion to put him outside a TE or T to change the I form into a strong or even Ace set. Throw some passes out of that to keep the D honest and boom. A new way to play to our strengths and a different way to audible in and out of the I with only one guy in motion.
After reading some of the articles mentioned I have a feeling we will see more utility out of Hewitt this year whether its out of the I or just as a TE.

exactly hes basically a TE playing Fullback... and we used him that way in the playoff game last year a reason i think he and Burkhead get more touches this year
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 05:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: exactly hes basically a TE playing Fullback...  and we used him that way in the playoff game last year a reason i think he and Burkhead get more touches this year

He's what Orson Charles was supposed to be.  A TE that got moved to fullback that can block AND catch the ball.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 05:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: exactly hes basically a TE playing Fullback...  and we used him that way in the playoff game last year a reason i think he and Burkhead get more touches this year

His weakness last year (from what I recall) was in line blocking.  He was a stud coming out of the backfield, and he was money catching short passes.   I think you're right.  He probably picks up a little muscle in the off season and will hone his in-line blocking in camp.  That puts him on the field a lot.   There are a lot of intriguing possibilities this year if guys remain healthy.
Reply/Quote