Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are You Ready For AJ & Dalton No Longer Bengals ?
(01-26-2020, 04:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree that AJ will likely be tagged, but with the tag coming in at $18.4 million, we shouldn't. If we were a good franchise, we'd use that money on healthy young players that can help Burrow. Who knows if Green will even be on the field, and $18 million is a big chunk of cap devoted to risky player.

No doubt Shake and if we do resign AJ we need to make it an incentive laden contract so it doesn't break the bank.

Work needs to be done for the OL and LB core let alone the other weapons in case AJ is hurt all the time.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 03:46 PM)kevin Wrote: With Free Agency coming, it's something to consider.   Don't all act surprised if both end up on other teams.   I have a feeling both want to test the market and see what other teams offer them.   I also have a feeling both would like a change.  Nothing against the people of Cincinnati.  Just that sometimes going to another team starts looking good after all the losing.  I wouldn't blame them, and some team will offer AJ Green huge bucks.   Also, if Mike Brown wanted them, they would have been resigned way before free agency.   All arrows point to Mike not resigning them means he decided he was willing to part with them many months ago.  

Anyway, if both are gone come March, don't be all surprised about it.

It will free up a ton of money for Burrow and many new players.  They do have to build for the new decade of the Roaring 20's.  Freeing up a ton of money is music to Mike Browns ears.

Andy is still under contract this year, but more than likely will be traded. As for AJ, he is set to be a FA and more than likely will be tagged. Giving AD and AJ one more season together if they keep both. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 04:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree that AJ will likely be tagged, but with the tag coming in at $18.4 million, we shouldn't. If we were a good franchise, we'd use that money on healthy young players that can help Burrow. Who knows if Green will even be on the field, and $18 million is a big chunk of cap devoted to risky player.

I get the injury thing but honeslty AJ's injuries dont scare me. In 2018 he had a toe sprain and in 2019 he had an ankle sprain.

Yea he didn't play in 2019 but it was likely a holdout since he was done with rehab the day after the last game. I know everyone is upset about that but the Bengals were out of any post season chance early and AJ didnt want a late season injury in his contract year. He likely only gets one more contract so hes gotta do what's best for his family.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 12:30 PM)Synric Wrote:  I know everyone is upset about that but the Bengals were out of any post season chance early and AJ didnt want a late season injury in his contract year.

If he could have played he would.

Missing the entire season was the absolute WORST thing he could have done if he was worried about making more money.  Like you said, this is probably his last big contract, but no team will give him a lot of money after not playing for a full year and a half.  If he could have just played in a couple of games at the end of the season it would have made him many millions of dollars on his upcoming contract.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 05:40 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: But ole Mikey will have to spend all the cap space this year because they are going to have a new cba next year. I expect them to give AJ a blank check to keep him around. 60 million mot including cuts and trades?? 3-4 years 40 million. Watch it could get real dumb

Definitely seems like Mike to keep around an aging/injury prone player to fill out the cap over bringing in a younger free agent.

(01-27-2020, 12:30 PM)Synric Wrote: I get the injury thing but honeslty AJ's injuries dont scare me. In 2018 he had a toe sprain and in 2019 he had an ankle sprain.

Yea he didn't play in 2019 but it was likely a holdout since he was done with rehab the day after the last game. I know everyone is upset about that but the Bengals were out of any post season chance early and AJ didnt want a late season injury in his contract year. He likely only gets one more contract so hes gotta do what's best for his family.

Whatever the injuries were, they've been serious enough for AJ to miss 29 games in the last 4 years.

Heaven forbid we tag him for $18.4 million and he stubs a toe again. We honestly have no idea if AJ was holding out last year. That's hopeful speculation, IMO. Even if he was, there was a real injury (ankle surgery + lingering toe problem) last year, as well as previous injuries that caused him to miss roughly half of the 2016 and 2018 seasons.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If he could have played he would.

Missing the entire season was the absolute WORST thing he could have done if he was worried about making more money.  Like you said, this is probably his last big contract, but no team will give him a lot of money after not playing for a full year and a half.  If he could have just played in a couple of games at the end of the season it would have made him many millions of dollars on his upcoming contract.
Again , unless he reinjured himself. Then it would have cost him millions because not only the Bengals but no other team would have wanted him at a high salary. So you see it's NOT the worst thing for him to sit.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 03:26 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Again , unless he reinjured himself. Then it would have cost him millions because not only the Bengals but no other team would have wanted him at a high salary. So you see it's NOT the worst thing for him to sit.

It does not matter to another team if he was not playing because of an injury from preseason that did not heal properly or from a new injury.  Either way he was not health enough to play at the end of the season.  If he could have played he would have in order to prove he was healthy.  Otherwise he loses millions of dollars.

It boggles my mind that the same people who accuse some players of only playing hard in the final year of their contract will then spin around and claim that it is better for a player not to play at all instead of showing he was healthy and fully recovered from an injury.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It does not matter to another team if he was not playing because of an injury from preseason that did not heal properly or from a new injury.  Either way he was not health enough to play at the end of the season.  If he could have played he would have in order to prove he was healthy.  Otherwise he loses millions of dollars.

It boggles my mind that the same people who accuse some players of only playing hard in the final year of their contract will then spin around and claim that it is better for a player not to play at all instead of showing he was healthy and fully recovered from an injury.

The gist of my statement was not whether he could play or not but that there were things that could have happened that would have been worst than sitting out. You keep crowing about how sitting was the worst thing he could have done when obviously it wasn't. I can't prove it but I believe AJ was looking out for his best interest by not taking the chance of injury. Not being able to return in some fashion in 20 weeks over what was originally said to be a sprained ankle doesn't look too good anyway, but if his injury history is taken into account there will be a lot of teams leery of giving him more money than MB will.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 06:35 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The gist of my statement was not whether he could play or not but that there were things that could have happened that would have been worst than sitting out. You keep crowing about how sitting was the worst thing he could have done when obviously it wasn't. I can't prove it but I believe AJ was looking out for his best interest by not taking the chance of injury. Not being able to return in some fashion in 20 weeks over what was originally said to be a sprained ankle doesn't look too good anyway, but if his injury history is taken into account there will be a lot of teams leery of giving him more money than MB will.

great for AJ helped us not one bit...

Let aJ go... That money would be better spent on a young WR that burrow(or New QB not named Burrow) can have around for a lot longer time than Green will be.

If they want to offer him a fair deal based on his play time the last 2 year go for it.  But 1 year @ 18 mil is to much for a guy that just missed a whole season.  there are other names on the market that aren't nearly as close to retirement

Now if we weren't in position to take the top QB prospect in the draft and were going to keept Dalton or replace him with another vet then sure keep green one more year.

No bengals come back from the tag. (that's not a kicker)
Reply/Quote