Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are You Spitting Me?
AKA buy the votes
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-20-2019, 02:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see it like that.
The net gain and net loss I was referring to was in dollars.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(06-20-2019, 02:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: AKA buy the votes

Like military contracts or tax cuts?
(06-20-2019, 08:14 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So if you really want to change things for the better for african americans, convince them to make two parent households. They are currently only doing so about 33-35% of the time compared to 76-77% for whites and 84-85% for asian/pacific islanders. That's an enormous difference.

Why do you suppose so many African-Americans need convincing to make two parent households?  
(06-20-2019, 11:55 PM)Dill Wrote: Like military contracts or tax cuts?

And subsidies for farmers who are losing their pants thanks to a trade war that will be (checks notes) "easy to win"?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-21-2019, 08:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: And subsidies for farmers who are losing their pants thanks to a trade war that will be (checks notes) "easy to win"?

its alright.  they'll just suppress their votes.
(06-20-2019, 11:57 PM)Dill Wrote: Why do you suppose so many African-Americans need convincing to make two parent households?  

I don't mean to answer for Leonard, but I think it is a deep seated problem in the African American community. They need to address the problem if they want their community to rise economically.  The numbers are alarming.  Black mothers are not just more likely to have children by more than one father they are TWICE as likely as the national average.  In fact a large majority of black mothers (59%) have children by multiple fathers, and the same percentage of black fathers have children by multiple women.  I have a decent job, but it still has a major impact on my financial situation to have to help support two separate housholds.  I can't imagine having 3 or 4.

The reason for this problem with their culture is not important.  It certainly is not because of incarceration rates.  I can't see any way it can be blamed on the actions of anyone else.  They need to fix it.  Just like the white community has struggled to eliminate racism.  Just like men have struggled to stop objectifying women.  They need to put more value on the family unit.
(06-20-2019, 11:55 PM)Dill Wrote: Like military contracts or tax cuts?

Military contracts? No (that's just catering to a select few)
Tax cuts? Yes

I know black people have a harder time due to laws that worked against them and all, but it's no the 1800's anymore. There is quite a few successful Billionaires now, so it is possible for them to become wealthy now.

I am not against helping them get degrees, attempting to lower the number of incarcerations and several other ideas that can help them. But they will need to address some of their own cultural things as well. In fact, remove the color checkboxes from Loans and all Credit apps. So that either the person has the means or not to get approved for what ever they are applying for.

Kinda shocked, if you guys are so interested in helping the Poor, maybe we should start with the lowest of the low in poverty and that's the Native Americans. You know the ones we stole the land from and broke all kinds of treaties with?
(06-21-2019, 12:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Military contracts? No (that's just catering to a select few)
Tax cuts? Yes

I know black people have a harder time due to laws that worked against them and all, but it's no the 1800's anymore. There is quite a few successful Billionaires now, so it is possible for them to become wealthy now.

I am not against helping them get degrees, attempting to lower the number of incarcerations and several other ideas that can help them. But they will need to address some of their own cultural things as well
. In fact, remove the color checkboxes from Loans and all Credit apps. So that either the person has the means or not to get approved for what ever they are applying for.

Kinda shocked, if you guys are so interested in helping the Poor, maybe we should start with the lowest of the low in poverty and that's the Native Americans. You know the ones we stole the land from and broke all kinds of treaties with?

RE: native Americans, Some of us are already there.

Sounds like you might support reparations. 

Where does African-American "culture" come from?
(06-19-2019, 11:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Why is a person I live alongside being treated differently than me because of the color of their skin?

That's a good question. I wish there was a good answer for it. Unfortunately, there isn't. 

Reparations is just a step towards answering that question. And besides, most democratic candidates won't go much further than setting up an exploratory committee to determine if it's even feasible. I don't think there's anything wrong with looking into it.
(06-21-2019, 12:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I am not against helping them get degrees, attempting to lower the number of incarcerations and several other ideas that can help them. But they will need to address some of their own cultural things as well. In fact, remove the color checkboxes from Loans and all Credit apps. So that either the person has the means or not to get approved for what ever they are applying for.

These are all forms of reparations. Obviously, the most simple version is just cutting black people checks, but I think the ways you mentioned are much better ways of bridging the gap in this country.
I found this response to Cruz apropo:

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.