Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Bengals actually worried about the line?
With all the different discussions happening on the board and most of them turning into a Chase vs Pitts vs Sewell at 5 discussion, I'm curious if it is even really a discussion worth having anymore.

Looking at the Bengals in FA, and their moves and players they are linked too that they didn't sign.

Kenny Golladay - Clearly they view WR as a need, as they were in on Golladay. Not landing him and not finding a replacement elsewhere makes it pretty clear they will take Chase at 5.

Joe Thuney? - Not sure there was ever a real report of them offering him a contract, they did of course offer one to Zeitler and then ended up bringing back Spain.

Trai Turner - No contact from the Bengals to Trai Turner.

Kerrigan - Brought in, clearly they still want to add pass rush and it is needed.

Jarran Reed - There was reports of interest in Reed prior to him signing with the Chiefs, so there is interest in adding to the IDL.

Right now, it would look like the goal in the draft is to get Chase, then go get DL help.

The question I have for everyone is simple.

Do you think that with the people the Bengals are linked to and have signed that they will still consider OL in round 2 or is it more likely we wait till round 4.

Again, not what you want them to do... think about the franchise, and the positions they have signed a RT and a G (Reiff and Spain) and then look at the people they are still visiting with.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think they are concerned about the line but it's a deep draft for offensive line as well. They probably can get a long term starter in the 2nd-4th RD range This is an ideal draft to trade down and get some picks in.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 07:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Kenny Golladay -  Clearly they view WR as a need, as they were in on Golladay. Not landing him and not finding a replacement elsewhere makes it pretty clear they will take Chase at 5.

I don't see how you come to this conclusion.

The Bengals were active in their pursuit of an OG long before Golladay (or any WR) was ever mentioned.  They made offers to both Thuney and Zeitler before they even started addressing the WR position.

Based on your logic this means they are going to draft Sewell at #5.  

They have also talked to multiple D-linemen since Golladay was signed elsewhere, but have not been able to sign one.  That means they still see it as a need.

Based on your logic this means they will draft D-line at #5.

Personally I don't know what they are going to do.  I am hoping it is Sewell, but we can't say for certain based on what they did (or tried to do) in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 07:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: With all the different discussions happening on the board and most of them turning into a Chase vs Pitts vs Sewell at 5 discussion, I'm curious if it is even really a discussion worth having anymore.

Looking at the Bengals in FA, and their moves and players they are linked too that they didn't sign.

Kenny Golladay -  Clearly they view WR as a need, as they were in on Golladay. Not landing him and not finding a replacement elsewhere makes it pretty clear they will take Chase at 5.

Joe Thuney? - Not sure there was ever a real report of them offering him a contract, they did of course offer one to Zeitler and then ended up bringing back Spain.

Kerrigan - Brought in, clearly they still want to add pass rush and it is needed.

Jarran Reed - There was reports of interest in Reed prior to him signing with the Chiefs, so there is interest in adding to the IDL.

Right now, it would look like the goal in the draft is to get Chase, then go get DL help.

Do you think that with the people the Bengals are linked to and have signed that they will still consider OL in round 2 or is it more likely we wait till round 4.

Again, not what you want them to do... think about the franchise, and the positions they have signed a RT and a G (Reiff and Spain) and then look at the people they are still visiting with.

I think the front office truly believes the OL is very much improved with Pollack being hired and bringing in Reiff. Then having Spain and XSF for another year and hopefully healthy.

Personally, I think the OL is still crap but anyway.

I think they take Chase at 5 and OL with picks 2 and 3...and then focus on DL with picks in the 4th and th rounds. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 07:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Kenny Golladay -  Clearly they view WR as a need, as they were in on Golladay. Not landing him and not finding a replacement elsewhere makes it pretty clear they will take Chase at 5.

Kenny Golladay contacted the Bengals because he wanted to play with Joe Burrow in a heavy pass offense if he had to take a 1 year deal. There was no other reports the Bengals went after any other WR in Free Agency.

Joe Thuney's Agent said the Bengals made an offer along with the Jets and one another team I can't remember.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 07:15 PM)J24 Wrote: I think they are concerned about the line but it's a deep draft for offensive line as well. They probably can get a long term starter in the 2nd-4th RD range  This is an ideal draft to trade  down and get some picks in.

I wouldn't bank on that.  This team has stunk lately when it comes to drafting the 2nd and 3rd tier O-linemen.

They seemed to do ok with Jonah, but that was a no-brainer as he was the 1st tackle off the board.  Taking OT 4,5,6,7 in the past hasn't worked out well at all.

We have a much better chance of getting a starting caliber WR in round 2-4 then we do a starting caliber O-lineman.  We just don't seem to have any grasp of getting a good one after the obvious guys are gone.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 07:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see how you come to this conclusion.

The Bengals were active in their pursuit of an OG long before Golladay (or any WR) was ever mentioned.  They made offers to both Thuney and Zeitler before they even started addressing the WR position.

Based on your logic this means they are going to draft Sewell at #5.  

They have also talked to multiple D-linemen since Golladay was signed elsewhere, but have not been able to sign one.  That means they still see it as a need.

Based on your logic this means they will draft D-line at #5.

Personally I don't know what they are going to do.  I am hoping it is Sewell, but we can't say for certain based on what they did (or tried to do) in free agency.

Couple things to digest here.

First I was unaware in the other thread you were in on Sewell. Glad to see it, sorry I misread something and thought you were against it.

In other matters. Is there any reports that confirm we made an offer to Thuney? I know there is confirmation of an offer to Zeitler but did we approach Thuney for certain?

I see it like this, they got rid of Hart and signed Reiff. RT upgraded. They view XSF as one guard, and wanted Zeitler at the other. He went to Baltimore so they got Spain back.

Prior to FA there was all these posts on here about how deep the FA class was for OL, Trai Turner was mentioned. Villanueva was mentioned, Okung was mentioned. All those guys are still out there and yet the Bengals haven't made any effort to contact them. This makes me question if they think they have their starting 5 and are content with Jordan, Price, Johnson and Adeniji as back up.

I really see them going Chase in 1 and then Edge in 2 and maybe 3 is IDL or OL then.. and that worries me greatly.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 07:20 PM)Synric Wrote: Kenny Golladay contacted the Bengals because he wanted to play with Joe Burrow in a heavy pass offense if he had to take a 1 year deal. There was no other reports the Bengals went after any other WR in Free Agency.

Joe Thuney's Agent said the Bengals made an offer along with the Jets and one another team I can't remember.

Good to know about Thuney. I never saw that report. However it still concerns me that with the guys available in FA and 20 plus million in cap space there is no contact.. no visits. 

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 07:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I wouldn't bank on that.  This team has stunk lately when it comes to drafting the 2nd and 3rd tier O-linemen.

They seemed to do ok with Jonah, but that was a no-brainer as he was the 1st tackle off the board.  Taking OT 4,5,6,7 in the past hasn't worked out well at all.

We have a much better chance of getting a starting caliber WR in round 2-4 then we do a starting caliber O-lineman.  We just don't seem to have any grasp of getting a good one after the obvious guys are gone.
We can't let the past dictate the future. You have to draft according to the board.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I think we feel it is a very deep draft class at OL and WR. There are multiple worthy OT/WR picks in the top 10, and likely many worthy WR/OL guys at top of two. And likely some good OG/OC prospects in 3-4. Along with more receivers.

On the defensive side is lacking in top 5 talent. And thinner. No one worthy at 5.

Thus, we tended to look for D in FA. Draft will be more focused on O.
Reply/Quote
They were also in on Feiler. He likely took the deal in LA because they offered more guaranteed money.

Reply/Quote
They are worried about the O-line.

It is just a deep Draft for this position so don't go crying if we Draft Pitts or Chase in the first.

It is a good year to add O-lineman in the Draft after the first round.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 07:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: With all the different discussions happening on the board and most of them turning into a Chase vs Pitts vs Sewell at 5 discussion, I'm curious if it is even really a discussion worth having anymore.

Kenny Golladay -  Clearly they view WR as a need, as they were in on Golladay. Not landing him and not finding a replacement elsewhere makes it pretty clear they will take Chase at 5.

I.dont know if you.know this but the Bengals arent  the only.team in the NFL that needs oline help.
Very.few NFL teams retain the same oline year to year
Only.one team in.North is returning all 5 starters from 2020.

The Bengals are not going to land every FA they covet.
No team accomplishes that.

You bring up Trai Turner. Has anyone signed him?
How Villineava from.The Steelers?

Reilly Reiff is not chopped liver 
He still gets it done at a high level.
Reply/Quote

You bring up good points, but in a way you are leading the witness here.

Of Course they do not really care about the Oline, they are going to go into 2021 with one of the lowest OL payrolls in the NFL yet again.  But, somehow they have top 5 money invested in RBs. 

This is a cheap, short cutting, nepotism driven, clown franchise (Just like the Reds actually).  The entire league treats the bengals like a doormat, and it's because they deserve it. 

The Bengals leadership 'gets it wrong' about 85-90% of the time.  That is the only football related thing they are pretty good at - Being idiots

Even seeing their rookie franchise QB get every ligament in his knee shredded, getting sacked at a crazy rate, taking massive hits...they did nothing. 

They brought in Reilly Reiff on a 1 year 6.5M Contract.  And look at this board (Lauding the creativity of the deal, star struck at such sharp operating savvy!)

Our fans are just as bad as the owners.  They just fall in line and every March/April drink the kool aid and saddle up for another loser of a season with a giant smile on their face.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 09:25 PM)AQIndianHill Wrote: You bring up good points, but in a way you are leading the witness here.

Of Course they do not really care about the Oline, they are going to go into 2021 with one of the lowest OL payrolls in the NFL yet again.  But, somehow they have top 5 money invested in RBs. 

This is a cheap, short cutting, nepotism driven, clown franchise (Just like the Reds actually).  The entire league treats the bengals like a doormat, and it's because they deserve it. 

The Bengals leadership 'gets it wrong' about 85-90% of the time.  That is the only football related thing they are pretty good at - Being idiots

Even seeing their rookie franchise QB get every ligament in his knee shredded, getting sacked at a crazy rate, taking massive hits...they did nothing. 

They brought in Reilly Reiff on a 1 year 6.5M Contract.  And look at this board (Lauding the creativity of the deal, star struck at such sharp operating savvy!)

Our fans are just as bad as the owners.  They just fall in line and every March/April drink the kool aid and saddle up for another loser of a season with a giant smile on their face.

Then why be a fan? If you actually are a Bengal fan... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 09:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Then why be a fan? If you actually are a Bengal fan... Mellow

Look at its post history - it is not a fan....
Reply/Quote
Honestly I’d rather them go chase/edge if they don’t go o line at 2. If they go DT I’ll be bummed because it takes a few years for them to turn the table.

I’d love to see jalen Phillips in stripes next year
Reply/Quote
They obviously do value the line. Swapping out Hart for Reiff is a pretty large upgrade. And as stats posted in multiple threads demonstrate, when we had Spain and XSF on the field together the interior line was effective in both run and pass protection.

I am expecting them to double dip in the draft on OL, and think their first target is actually Tucker. Not at 5 of course but they may be working on either a trade back or a plan to take Chase at 5 then trade back up into the first for Tucker. I suspect the goal is to replace Redmond and MJ and give them another G-T along with Johnson behind Williams and Reiff.

So, if they land Tucker you may see Williams-Tucker-Hopkins/Price-Spain-Reiff.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 09:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: They obviously do value the line. Swapping out Hart for Reiff is a pretty large upgrade. And as stats posted in multiple threads demonstrate, when we had Spain and XSF on the field together the interior line was effective in both run and pass protection.

I am expecting them to double dip in the draft on OL, and think their first target is actually Tucker. Not at 5 of course but they may be working on either a trade back or a plan to take Chase at 5 then trade back up into the first for Tucker. I suspect the goal is to replace Redmond and MJ and give them another G-T along with Johnson behind Williams and Reiff.

So, if they land Tucker you may see Williams-Tucker-Hopkins/Price-Spain-Reiff.

Pollack HAS been working with Vera Tucker. Could see this happening and wouldn't be mad about it.

Best Guard prospect in the class.
Reply/Quote
I can't see trading back in the 1st and losing picks. Not with the outstanding needs.

They care about the Oline. Just like they "care" about winning.

Are the worried though? I cant say they are as much as we'd like after what happened to Burrow and the national disgust about how he was managed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote