Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Bengals as as team in a no-win situation?
Just wondering how you feel as a fan about the Bengals winning, then hearing others complaining about how they "ruined their draft standing?" I as a Bengals fan have never rooted for them to lose (unless our playoff chances were over, and us losing meant pukesburg or the clowns were somehow knocked out of the playoffs also) I guess I just don't understand how improving our draft stock really makes that much difference, when usually most upper first rounders don't seem to work out that great anyway (Ki-Jana, Big Daddy, Klingler as a couple examples) I say win as many as you can, draft picks be damned. Maybe I'm just too much of a homer to want them to lose. How about you?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree. I'm sorry but there are NUMEROUS examples of gems being found in later rounds.
Tom Brady and TJ Houshmanzada come to mind...
Face it, the draft is a GAMBLE, REGARDLESS of what round you're drafting in.
Reply/Quote
Real games are some of the best practice that you can get. You can't ever play well in games that you want to win unless you practice and prepare first. Look at how a coach like BB will use pre-season: if things aren't up to snuff he'll keep the starters in and beat the piss out of people. I don't agree with laying down in live games. Allowing extra injury healing time for dudes who need it, rotating in more young guys to see what they have, trying new things that may or may not work well...I'd get all of that. Laying down on purpose though? I can't get behind that at all. 
Reply/Quote
We're in that sweet spot of trying to win and looking like we're trying to tank. Would that be a lose-win in your scenario?
Reply/Quote
I'm so far down the path of cynicism that it doesn't matter where they draft with this inept front office of The Family & Tobin. Win a few, lose them all, it doesn't matter with how they operate.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 05:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We're in that sweet spot of trying to win and looking like we're trying to tank. Would that be a lose-win in your scenario?

Well I'm not sure.   I really can't believe players "try to tank" so to speak, but I do believe that after so much losing that it becomes a let's get this season over with kind of deal.  I just hate that we are starting to get that losing culture back that I feel Marvin got us away from and we were actually at the point of free agents wanting to come here.  I think most of us expected to lose most of the games but to be winless is kind a surprise.  If something doesn't turn around soon, the losing may continue for a long time
Reply/Quote
Yes they are in a no win situation. They have an owner that runs a major business like a local family owned Ace Hardware Store. Higher all your friends and family and no one that has a clue. If I was a tax payer in Cincy I would burn that MFer to the ground and say I paid for it not you MB. I give you all credit in Hamilton County you are better people than I.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 05:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'm so far down the path of cynicism that it doesn't matter where they draft with this inept front office of The Family & Tobin. Win a few, lose them all, it doesn't matter with how they operate.

You just kind of know that IF we get the #1 pick, they'll take a QB like Joe Burrow who is projected to go in the 20's. I can see this coming from miles away.

It's like the Ross or Ogbuehi picks.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 05:58 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: Well I'm not sure.   I really can't believe players "try to tank" so to speak, but I do believe that after so much losing that it becomes a let's get this season over with kind of deal.  I just hate that we are starting to get that losing culture back that I feel Marvin got us away from and we were actually at the point of free agents wanting to come here.  I think most of us expected to lose most of the games but to be winless is kind a surprise.  If something doesn't turn around soon, the losing may continue for a long time

I honestly feel like the players know the staff is inept.

If you're in that locker room and you see the coaches dropping Billings into coverage. Running shotgun fake draw sneaks for 4th and 1, etc...it takes a little wind out of your sales.

Even re-signing Hart for 3 years and $21 million. The players know that's a joke. NO WONDER Glenn wants out.

Even drafting Sample in the 2nd Round. These players know that was a reach.

You make a bunch of questionable moves, the players talk amongst themselves. The toxins spread.

AJ Green is classy, but I think it speaks volumes that he didn't practice this week. Initially it was 6-8 week injury...and now look where we're at.
Reply/Quote
Well, at a certain point they have nothing left to play for. So at that point I think they should let off the gas and just try and get the best draft picks as possible. No sense in trying to win meaningless game. There's zero upside, outside of being able to say "We won."

I do think the Bengals will beat the Dolphins. The Jets will be a more even game between to garbage teams. That one could go either way. But I fully expect the Bengal to be in the bottom 4 teams of the league, or top 4 teams in the draft.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 05:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'm so far down the path of cynicism that it doesn't matter where they draft with this inept front office of The Family & Tobin. Win a few, lose them all, it doesn't matter with how they operate.

Right there with ya Millhouse. They could have five 1st round draft picks and three free day 1 free agents and still screw it up. 
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of well run mom and pop operations. The Bengals however are not one of them. The Bengals are run more like a drunk uncle and a greedy niece trying to kill grandma for her butter and egg money operation and have sold off all the livestock to buy crack....
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote