Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are the Bengals bad or just unlucky?
The Bengals are founded in 1968 and have the NFL/AFL rookie of the year in 68 and 69.

In 1969, one year after their founding, their first great QB sets all kind of rookie records....then has to retire due to injury.

Quote:In 1969, the Bengals released John Stofa, the Bengals' starting signal caller for much of the team's inaugural season, and named Cook as the starting quarterback. His season started spectacularly, as he led the Bengals to a 3–0 record. However, in game three versus Kansas City, Cook felt a pop in his right (throwing) shoulder after being tackled by linebacker Jim Lynch and missed the next three games. Possibly due to the limited medical technology at the time, his torn rotator cuff went undiagnosed.

Despite this, Cook went on to pass for 1,854 yards and led the Bengals to wins over the Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders, two of the three best teams in the AFL. His 9.411 yards per pass attempt and 17.5 yard per completion are rookie records that still stand. Cook was UPI's choice for AFL Rookie of the year.

Cook recalled, "I took cortisone shots and played in pain, but the shoulder hadn't started to deteriorate yet, so I could still function. I still had the strength. I felt obligated to finish the season. I'd gotten off to a good start. I didn't want to relinquish that."[2]

The rotator cuff began deteriorating after the season; during surgery, it was revealed that Cook also had a partially detached biceps muscle. After three operations proved futile, he retired. A 1973 comeback attempt failed and Cook retired permanently. The NFL Network NFL Top Ten series named Cook the #1 One Shot Wonder in NFL history.[3]
[/url]
With the legendary Paul Brown has their head coach from 1968-1975 they STILL have a losing record overall...and go 0-3 in the playoffs.

Quote:Head coaches[[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cincinnati_Bengals&action=edit§ion=14]edit]
Main article: List of Cincinnati Bengals head coaches
Name
Tenure
Regular Season Record
Post Season Record
                   W  L   T   Playoffs: W L

Paul Brown 55 59 1                  0  3
1968–1975

In fact only three of the men to be head coach of the Bengals has a winning record.  One is Marvin Lewis who remains without a win in the post-season.

They reach the Super Bowl twice under an innovative coach who had a pro bowl QB...and had the misfortune of meeting a better coach with a better pro bowl QB both times.

That's not mentioning Tim Krumie's broken leg and Stanley Wilson.

In the 20 years since their last Super Bowl apperance they have had only eight above 500 seasons.

And they have reached the playoffs eight times...winning one game in 1990.  

In the midst of that we cannot forget that in '05, the Steelers take out Palmer on the opening play of the playoff game and then everyone knows what happened at halftime and everything just fell apart.

Or the year the Bengals tanked their last game so they could play the Jets could get into the playoffs and travel to Cincinnati for the game.  Only to lose at home to the Jets.

And then the year that Dalton broke his thumb after throwing an INT and trying to make a tackle the Steelers beat the Bengals in the playoffs due to lack of discipline on the Bengals players.

Oh, and all the missed field goals!  And draft picks that didn't pan out!

So, are the Bengals bad...or just unlucky?

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 05:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: The Bengals are founded in 1968 and have the NFL/AFL rookie of the year in 68 and 69.

In 1969, one year after their founding, their first great QB sets all kind of rookie records....then has to retire due to injury.

[/url]
With the legendary Paul Brown has their head coach from 1968-1975 they STILL have a losing record overall...and go 0-3 in the playoffs.

In fact only three of the men to be head coach of the Bengals has a winning record.  One is Marvin Lewis who remains without a win in the post-season.

They reach the Super Bowl twice under an innovative coach who had a pro bowl QB...and had the misfortune of meeting a better coach with a better pro bowl QB both times.

That's not mentioning Tim Krumie's broken leg and Stanley Wilson.

In the 20 years since their last Super Bowl apperance they have had only eight above 500 seasons.

And they have reached the playoffs eight times...winning one game in 1990.  

In the midst of that we cannot forget that in '05, the Steelers take out Palmer on the opening play of the playoff game and then everyone knows what happened at halftime and everything just fell apart.

Or the year the Bengals tanked their last game so they could play the Jets could get into the playoffs and travel to Cincinnati for the game.  [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_NFL_playoffs#AFC:_New_York_Jets_24,_Cincinnati_Bengals_14]Only to lose at home to the Jets.

And then the year that Dalton broke his thumb after throwing an INT and trying to make a tackle the Steelers beat the Bengals in the playoffs due to lack of discipline on the Bengals players.

Oh, and all the missed field goals!  And draft picks that didn't pan out!

So, are the Bengals bad...or just unlucky?

Mellow

The fact it took you hours of research and time to type this mess tells us a lot. Get a life dude.  Smirk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 06:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The fact it took you hours of research and time to type this mess tells us a lot. Get a life dude.  Smirk

It didn't anywhere near that long to find and cite all of the Bengals failures.   Smirk
Reply/Quote
Lovenuts telling someone to get a life. Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Oh, the Bumgals were real unlucky that Big Ben got drafted by a team in their division. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 07:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: It didn't anywhere near that long to find and cite all of the Bengals failures.   Smirk

Maybe next you can find spell check bumpkin
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 07:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: It didn't take anywhere near that long to find and cite all of the Bengals failures.   Smirk

(02-17-2018, 08:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe next you can find spell check bumpkin

Mellow

[Image: luvmoron.jpg]

[Image: luvmoron2.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I actually like this thread. It's cool right now to hate. Really it is. I can visualize and actually mentally hear the laughter in the Pittsburgh fanbase. I really do like it. Hell, I love it to be honest. We suck. Yet, we won't suck forever. Tides turn. 

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 09:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I actually like this thread. It's cool right now to hate. Really it is. I can visualize and actually mentally hear the laughter in the Pittsburgh fanbase. I really do like it. Hell, I love it to be honest. We suck. Yet, we won't suck forever. Tides turn. 

I tend to agree with you on that.  In the 70's the Bengals would have had better luck but the Steelers were dominating.  In the 80's the Steelers were down and the Bengals did even better.  In the 90's the Bengals bottomed out and rebuilt to make the playoffs again.  And despite their up and down records they've been mostly competitive for the last decade or so.

They just never seem to get over the top.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 09:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: I tend to agree with you on that.  In the 70's the Bengals would have had better luck but the Steelers were dominating.  In the 80's the Steelers were down and the Bengals did even better.  In the 90's the Bengals bottomed out and rebuilt to make the playoffs again.  And despite their up and down records they've been mostly competitive for the last decade or so.

They just never seem to get over the top.

I think your trying to hit on me  Nervous

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 09:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think your trying to hit on me  Nervous

" Mellow"
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 07:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: It didn't anywhere near that long to find and cite all of the Bengals failures.   Smirk

(02-17-2018, 08:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe next you can find spell check bumpkin

Here’s a tip: if you insist on attempting spell smack, consult a dictionary first.  

Unless, of course, you thought he meant to “fix or build” all of the Bengals failures “in a particular place”... LOL

site
sīt/

verb
1.fix or build (something) in a particular place.
"the rectory is sited behind the church"
synonyms:
placeputpositionsituatelocate
"garbage cans sited along the street"

Tip
Reply/Quote

Hilarious Lovenuts trying to use spelling smack because his regular smack is so weak. Stop it Lovenuts your killing me. Hilarious 

Lovenuts calling someone a "bumpkin", hilarious.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Greg Cook ever recovered from that. He could have been one of the greats. I saw the guy a few times in bars in the 80s. Always drunk. Died pretty young.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The Bengals in a nutshell--the worst luck imaginable compounded by a shit ton of bad decisions. Coulda, woulda, shoulda is our battle cry. Being a Bengals fan is not for the faint of heart.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 07:36 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Here’s a tip: if you insist on attempting spell smack, consult a dictionary first.  

Unless, of course, you thought he meant to “fix or build” all of the Bengals failures “in a particular place”... LOL

site
sīt/

verb
1.fix or build (something) in a particular place.
"the rectory is sited behind the church"
synonyms:
placeputpositionsituatelocate
"garbage cans sited along the street"

Tip

You'd think he be embarrassed enough about that, eh?
Reply/Quote
bad
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 09:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

[Image: luvmoron.jpg]

[Image: luvmoron2.jpg]

Maybe he thinks it could be sight....like you had to go back and watch all of them. That could take a while. Like 50 years. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 10:04 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Maybe he thinks...

No.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 10:23 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Lovenuts calling someone a "bumpkin", hilarious.

You, attempting to ride GMDino's coattails, even more hilarious!

(02-18-2018, 02:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: You'd think he be embarrassed enough about that, eh?

Meh, possibly.

(02-18-2018, 10:04 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Maybe he thinks it could be sight....like you had to go back and watch all of them. That could take a while. Like 50 years. 

See reply to ballsofsteel's post...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote