Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Offensive Line Issues Fixable this year?
Half.

Jim Turner will be able to fix the pass blocking by mid-season but fixing the run blocking will take longer. Much longer. Yes, it's that bad. Much of this is left over bad technique -- and mixed technique -- because Paul Alexander, Frank Pollack, and Jim Turner teach run blocking three different ways. Imagine trying to learn the golf swing from three different coaches simultaneously and you'll understand what the offensive linemen are going through.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:06 PM)samhain Wrote: Well, we have 3 new guys manning starting spots, so it's possible they will get better at playing together.  Unfortunately, 2 of those 3 guys have already tapped out in game 2, so continuity will have to wait.  

Talent wise, I think most of them are junk players.  I don't see a lot of upside in any of them save Jordan, who's injury looked discouraging.  

They need better players on the line, period.  At least 2, maybe 3.  They need 2 guards and badly need a RT.  Not sure about center.

Pretty  much this. We all had our reservations coming into the season about this unit, and injuries have further added to it. Can we scheme around it? That's the real question.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This OL will be better in pass protection than run blocking. If the Bengals want to run better, they need to replace Miller (maybe with Price?).
I hope the Bengals get (at least) one good starter for OL next year.

I dunno Ocho, Price got TRUCKED his first snap....lol.

Reply/Quote
We need to fix both guards and left tackle. Maybe Glenn recovers from his concussion and Move Andre to left guard.then maybe we can salvage the line. Dalton needs to start getting rid of ball with in 3 seconds of the snap. He is not doing the line any favors by holding the ball for so long
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:38 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: To the eye test he has improved in comparison to last year.  Still, he is not the answer if the team wants to establish a rushing game.  

To be fair, he went from Erik Flowers/Cedric Ogbuehi level steaming pile of crap to just "bad". 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Dalton is on pace to be sacked 72 time, which would put him tied for 2nd most in a single season. That is only 4 less times than David Carr got sacked his rookie year. Add in the Jordan could miss time and Andre Smith may as well and you could have a record setting year in terms of sacks allowed.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:51 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Half.

Jim Turner will be able to fix the pass blocking by mid-season but fixing the run blocking will take longer.  Much longer.  Yes, it's that bad.  Much of this is left over bad technique -- and mixed technique -- because Paul Alexander, Frank Pollack, and Jim Turner teach run blocking three different ways.  Imagine trying to learn the golf swing from three different coaches simultaneously and you'll understand what the offensive linemen are going through.

We were skeptical of Jim Turner being a good OL coach anyway, but regardless it isn't a simultaneous coaching effort, it's sequential. But I agree it's tough having to learn new year after year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
the best 5 with a healthy Glenn: would be Glenn Asmith Hopkins Price Hart. This line while below average wouldn't be the dumpster fire we saw yesterday
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:22 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Missing on Oghubi Fisher and Price paints you pic you have now
Throw in Williams injury...Bolings retirement ,Glenns concussion
That's too much to overcome.
If Glenn can come back it's helps a little not much
Your best olines have chemistry and history together
This OLINE is basically being thrown together in a basement with a chemistry set
Made for 12 yr olds,

Agree 100% That draft, coupled with the losses of Zeit and Whit REALLY set our line back for a few years. Now the injuries are driving us even further behind.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:08 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I think we have makings of a good offensive line with Jordan, Hopkins, Price, and Williams but it will take some time for them to gel. That's one thing about Offensive lines it takes time to develop. They will need a RT and a swing Tackle.

Hah...can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. The makings of a good line? I below average Center and three young players who have proven nothing. Don't assume Williams is any good. And Jordan is starting because he is the best plow horse at the race track. 

This OL is horrible and this team goes no where until it has been substantially upgraded which means at least 2 or 3 more drafts by which time various other good players are then gone - SSDD. 

I get flamed here for being a realist - but i have said it for 3 years now - this team is going nowhere without and OL and LB's. These are two gaping holes in the team that no coach can fix. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:13 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: the best 5 with a healthy Glenn: would be Glenn Asmith Hopkins Price Hart. This line while below average wouldn't be the dumpster fire we saw yesterday

Price has looked REALLY bad. He got trucked at Guard.

Honestly, Jerry might be our best Guard and as terrible as Redmond was last year, he might be a starter here.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:18 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Under Mike in the “GM” salaried role, the Bengals have generally focused on the shiny toy positions in the first few rounds. Lots of WR/RB/CB/QB selections under Mike. Under Mike it’s inarguable that the team has ignored the interior o-line in the early rounds, preferring to draft centers and guards from the 4th onward. When they do hit on quality interior guys they also generally avoid paying them 2nd or 3rd contracts. The lack of postseason results speak for themselves.

Is CB really a shiny toy position?

Since 2000 they've:
drafted more Offensive Tackles in first two rounds than WRs.
drafted as many guards as QBs in the first two rounds.
drafted as many Centers in the first round as running backs.

They've definitely drafted too many second round running backs but the problem isn't that they haven't invested draft picks in the O-line but that they've drafted badly. In the last 5 drafts they've drafted three first round O-lineman and a second rounder (and traded down their 1st round pick for another O-lineman) - but none of them are now starting for them. That's where the problem is.

You say that when they hit on interior guys they avoid paying them 2nd or 3rd contracts yet this also happened at your shiny toy positions WR when we let Marvin Jones and Sanu go the same year; it happened at CB with Jonathan Joseph so I don't think it's an issue about valuing the position.

They need to draft better and they need to stop overpaying mediocre talent so they can afford to pay above average players - both those on the roster and in free agency.
Reply/Quote
I thought Jerry held his own at LT yesterday. It could be because Andre 350 looked so bad, but there's a lot of talent on that Niners' D-line.

As to fixing the line: Getting Glenn back will help and maybe Boling decides being unemployed is not fun.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Their is no reason not to take advantage of Dalton's 1 plus trait the ball should be out of his hands within 3 second of the snap for 80 percent of the plays. IF its 1st and 20 2nd and 12 is better than nothing.
Reply/Quote
Relax everyone.

All we have to do is hold on for a couple of more weeks then we get Redmond back.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 10:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Is it lack of talent? Bad coaching? Combination? Injuries?

We know that Glenn might come back, but he's a pretty terrible run blocker and decent in pass protection.

It is talent.  We have none.  The only person that can kind of run block is is Trey Hopkins. That's it.  Miller seems half way decent in pass pro, but sucks at run blocking.  Hart is well, lolololol.   Jackson is a couple years away and Price couldn't run block in college.  We don't really have a left tackle and if Glenn comes back he can't anyway which is why Buffalo traded him.   

So no.  There is no hope this year for a run game and you can't just pass every play, but we'll try. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:17 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Hah...can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. The makings of a good line? I below average Center and three young players who have proven nothing. Don't assume Williams is any good. And Jordan is starting because he is the best plow horse at the race track. 

This OL is horrible and this team goes no where until it has been substantially upgraded which means at least 2 or 3 more drafts by which time various other good players are then gone - SSDD. 

I get flamed here for being a realist - but i have said it for 3 years now - this team is going nowhere without and OL and LB's. These are two gaping holes in the team that no coach can fix. 
Young players are going to have issues and units that were thrown together will too.  Which is exactly what has happened to the Bengals... Give the young guys sometime to gel.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
This line is really bad. Some people have one, maybe two players who they don't like on their O-lines, and we are searching for someone who isn't an embarrassment at least once per drive. Need to just play in the shogun, do a read and throw it fast.
Reply/Quote