Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the pitching woes finally over ?
It's way early, I get it.

But is there a chance the pitching gods are finally gonna smile on Cincinnati ? We've had at best very average to basically horrible starting pitching for several seasons in a row now. Is the worm finally going to turn ?

Castillo is on fire tied for the league lead with an 0.92 ERA and could easily be 3-0 right now. Gray after a rough first couple innings has settled down to a 2.89 ERA and again could easily be 1-1 or even 2-0 with any offense.

Mahle pitched 6 innings of shutout baseball and should have a win. The Reds entire staff is third in the National league with a 3.30 ERA and 8th overall.

If Disco and Roark or whoever else they plug in could just settle down and be average we may have the makings of a decent staff ?

I believe the O will come around and be decent. I'd love to still be playing meaningful baseball in August.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Castillo has looked good but Disco has looked better. Gray looks good. Wood, not sure what Reds have there. Then there is the health issue.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Hitting woes are back tonight. This is not a breaking ball hitting team..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The Red's Pitching ERA is something like 3.30 which is 8th in the league. That is pretty awesome really, given that Wood is out. The "meh" Castillo has taken me to the woodshed and Mahle has looked equally impressive.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Two in a row ! Mahle had another good outing.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2019, 10:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Two in a row ! Mahle had another good outing.

Seriously, the last time I remember the Red's ERA under 3.30 was like in the 1980s.  They are very aggressive around the strike zone and confident.  I like it.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2019, 10:34 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Seriously, the last time I remember the Red's ERA under 3.30 was like in the 1980s.  They are very aggressive around the strike zone and confident.  I like it.  

The pitching thus far has been a giant surprise. Lets hope the O can start catching up.
Reply/Quote
Balls fly out of ballparks a lot easier when it’s 80 and 90 degrees, the Reds will face much better hitting teams than they have so far too. The young starters will hopefully continue to grow, they might not wanna take Mahle out when Wood is ready. Disco may be the guy that they bench, he gives up too many long balls. They may have 3 established starters going into next year and that would be awesome as there should be plenty of money to add a proven starter in the offseason. The Marlins are a terrible team but hopefully this series will build some momentum.
Reply/Quote
The pitching has definitely improved. I am enjoying the hell out of watching Gray, Castillo and Mahle.

Roark is a bit concerning to me. Disco is also a bit concerning, as he was batted around quite a bit in his last start.

But overall, I'm very pleased. There are no Homer Baileys on this pitching staff, which is a blessing.

In addition, Garrett looks great out of the bullpen. Stephenson has had a few really nice outings. Iglesias is beginning to turn it around. I think Hughes and Hernandez are kind of transforming back into what they've been for most of their careers, which are "decent pitchers," though it was unrealistic to expect them to continue pitching at a sub 2.00 ERA level. Hernandez has had a rough start, but he's been decent his entire career, so I think he'll eventually return to that mark of ~4.00 ERA.

The one player I am concerned about is Zach Duke. He didn't have a good spring, and he is not having a good season so far. We'll see if he doesn't get replaced by Reed at some point this season.

I think our pitching is more than sufficient to win games. I think when Wood comes back, we'll have 6 strong starting pitchers (not sure who would take the bench. Right now I'm leaning towards Disco or maybe Roark if he doesn't improve soon)

The only thing left to happen is our offense to wake up and we'll be golden!
Reply/Quote
There's definitely some good and some bad. There always is, but for now the good is outweighing the bad. One issue bugging me is the hitting.. They all seem to be decent at hitting the fastball, but God help them if the opposing pitchers throw breaking pitches or any kind of off speed changeup or sinking pitches. 
Last night Richards was throwing a ton of offspeed stuff and Reds bats couldn't hit it to save their lives. The moment the Marlins brought in their fastball throwing Stekenrider I knew we had a chance. They can hit the fastball with the best of them. Why any team would tot out a fastball pitcher without a decent changeup is a real head scratcher. They just can't touch a changeup pitch.
Another issue bugging me is the seemingly complete lack of hitting fundamentals. Can't lay down a bunt to save their lives. Can anyone slide to avoid a tag? Until last night the Reds hadn't had a single successful sacrifice bunt until Mahle finally did it. This stuff is mind numbing.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 12:12 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Balls fly out of ballparks a lot easier when it’s 80 and 90 degrees, the Reds will face much better hitting teams than they have so far too. The young starters will hopefully continue to grow, they might not wanna take Mahle out when Wood is ready. Disco may be the guy that they bench, he gives up too many long balls. They may have 3 established starters going into next year and that would be awesome as there should be plenty of money to add a proven starter in the offseason. The Marlins are a terrible team but hopefully this series will build some momentum.

Yep,

Mahle has an .082 ERA with 1 HR allowed in 11 innings pitched and again could easily be 2-0.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 09:24 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The pitching has definitely improved. I am enjoying the hell out of watching Gray, Castillo and Mahle.

Roark is a bit concerning to me. Disco is also a bit concerning, as he was batted around quite a bit in his last start.

But overall, I'm very pleased. There are no Homer Baileys on this pitching staff, which is a blessing.

In addition, Garrett looks great out of the bullpen. Stephenson has had a few really nice outings. Iglesias is beginning to turn it around. I think Hughes and Hernandez are kind of transforming back into what they've been for most of their careers, which are "decent pitchers," though it was unrealistic to expect them to continue pitching at a sub 2.00 ERA level. Hernandez has had a rough start, but he's been decent his entire career, so I think he'll eventually return to that mark of ~4.00 ERA.

The one player I am concerned about is Zach Duke. He didn't have a good spring, and he is not having a good season so far. We'll see if he doesn't get replaced by Reed at some point this season.

I think our pitching is more than sufficient to win games. I think when Wood comes back, we'll have 6 strong starting pitchers (not sure who would take the bench. Right now I'm leaning towards Disco or maybe Roark if he doesn't improve soon)

The only thing left to happen is our offense to wake up and we'll be golden!

I'm leaning Disco myself. Like you say he's been knocked around a good bit, 10 hits and 2 HR's in 9 and a 1/3. 6.75 ERA
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 12:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: There's definitely some good and some bad. There always is, but for now the good is outweighing the bad. One issue bugging me is the hitting.. They all seem to be decent at hitting the fastball, but God help them if the opposing pitchers throw breaking pitches or any kind of off speed changeup or sinking pitches. 
Last night Richards was throwing a ton of offspeed stuff and Reds bats couldn't hit it to save their lives. The moment the Marlins brought in their fastball throwing Stekenrider I knew we had a chance. They can hit the fastball with the best of them. Why any team would tot out a fastball pitcher without a decent changeup is a real head scratcher. They just can't touch a changeup pitch.
Another issue bugging me is the seemingly complete lack of hitting fundamentals. Can't lay down a bunt to save their lives. Can anyone slide to avoid a tag? Until last night the Reds hadn't had a single successful sacrifice bunt until Mahle finally did it. This stuff is mind numbing.. 

Agree, the Reds inability to lay down a bunt has drove me nuts the past couple seasons !!!
Reply/Quote
I'm so mad I haven't got to watch a lot of Reds this year. Between taking my son to baseball practice and going back to school, it's almost impossible. Hope to catch some games here soon.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Another exciting display of hitting today.. 1 WHOLE infield hit!   Impressed yet? 

Oops..another single by Winker.. make it a whole 2..

Reply/Quote
A little Punch and Judy ball going on, but it's working so far.. 1-zip.. Yey!  Kemp just can't lay off a breaking pitch down can he? 

Reply/Quote
This is why I miss the Midwest! Baseball just isn't baseball here the PNW. Going to the Mariners is a social event, because they have crazy food venues. Not sure people realize there is baseball game going on behind them.
Reply/Quote
Only gave up 1 run in three game series sweep ! Yes it was the Marlins, however it's still in one of the most hitter friendly parks in MLB.

When Wood gets back we just might have a starting staff a little above average ? Fingers crossed Gray is ok
Reply/Quote
Red's ERA is 2.82 which is #1 in NL and #4 MLB. Give Johnson a freaking raise! Also, the ERA is including Duke which is a pitcher they chose over Wisler and Disco who is having an off start. If Wood is back to form, get Gennett and Senzel involved, the Reds will be good enough to get over the .500 mark. I am still holding my prediction to 86 wins.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 09:17 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Red's ERA is 2.82 which is #1 in NL and #4 MLB.  Give Johnson a freaking raise!  Also, the ERA is including Duke which is a pitcher they chose over Wisler and Disco who is having an off start.  If Wood is back to form, get Gennett and Senzel involved, the Reds will be good enough to get over the .500 mark.  I am still holding my prediction to 86 wins.

Agree,

The Reds pitching staff right now is on cloud 9 ! They're sure to come back down to earth a little but hopefully only cloud 8. If wood comes back and can get close to 2017 form this club should hit .500 And with a little luck maybe better ?

I'd love to see them challenging for a wildcard, it's been pretty boring summers the last few seasons when your team is out of it at the All Star break, or before.
Reply/Quote