Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the pitching woes finally over ?
Roark's settling down pretty good tonight so far.. Started a bit tough. Reds bats still dead..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
NICE play by Roark snagging the comebacker.. 3rd out.. That looked like a bullet coming straight back to him. He was ducking to save his skin.. 

Apparently our new hitting coach isn't getting it done unless his job is to make Reds hitters look foolish..  Sad  No hitter into the 5th.. Cry

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Looks like Bell saw enough of Roark and he was right on the edge of becoming very hittable. He had a solid 4 innings with the opener kind of tough. Good time to slam on the breaks. 

Reply/Quote
Really lousy balk call against Garrett. He nailed him @ 3rd..
Looks like the ump wants Garrett to toss straight down broadway on every pitch here.. 

Reply/Quote
Looks like the hitting woes are back, Wainwright has a no-no thru 5.
Reply/Quote
And Jesse tied it up! HR
Exactly half of Jesse's hits have been HRs..

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 10:10 PM)grampahol Wrote: And Jesse tied it up! HR

Then Votto knocked the cover off it. No more no-no
Reply/Quote
Hughes coming in for Garrett after 1 out.. Not sure the logic there, but lets hope it works.. 
Hughes always makes me nervous no matter how good he's pitching. He just has the look of a guy who wouldn't mind beaning a batter with bases loaded with 2 outs and a tie game in the bottom of the 9th.. 

Reply/Quote
Diet Rich time! We have the lead..

Wainright has nothing to hang his head over tonight.. The birds left him in just too long..

Reply/Quote
Looked like Hernandez got hit on the cleats (That was an odd one), but he's out and in comes Duke..  Duke for the DP..

Reply/Quote
Phillip Ervin first AB this season gets a triple to lead off bottom of the 8th.. Nice! 
Sheb brings in the triple which I thought was going to get stranded.. and 2 more in and ANOTHER Triple! 
We might just win this baby..5-1, but i think Duke is getting the call to close it.. Not sure I agree, but we'll see..

I knew I didn't agree with leaving Duke in there.. Iggy time.. Let's see..  Never trust the Cards late.

Reply/Quote
Cmon #26.. Throw strikes.. 

Jeeez Louise.. C'mon Ervin.. now 2 on with Goldschmidt.....wheeew..

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 11:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: Cmon #26.. Throw strikes.. 

I think he flat out tries to hard some times
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 11:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think he flat out tries to hard some times

Yup.. He looked like he was about to have a nervous breakdown, but it's 4 wins in a row! Woohoo! 

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 11:20 PM)grampahol Wrote: Yup.. He looked like he was about to have a nervous breakdown, but it's 4 wins in a row! Woohoo! 

Indeed

And we needed it bad ! Lets keep it rolling, 5 in a row tomorrow
Reply/Quote
Seems like every win has had to be won late in the game.. They're not hitting well early in games, but seem to do OK once they get to the bullpens.. That works only if your pitching holds up. So far so good though. Reds pitching still has given up the fewest HRs and fewest ERs.. Whoda thunk it? 

Reply/Quote
Why is it all the pitchers have looked improved, except our best pitcher the last couple season, Iglesias, looks like he’s regressed? Can we not have anything nice?!
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 07:00 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Why is it all the pitchers have looked improved, except our best pitcher the last couple season, Iglesias, looks like he’s regressed? Can we not have anything nice?!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed he's gonna shake it off.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
"Can we not have anything nice?!"
Sure...the fond memories of things past.. It has been said, however that nostalgia is a seductive liar.. Take your pick.

Reply/Quote
Joel Kuhnel is finally getting some love from the national press. https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/mlb-s-best-prospect-relievers  He's listed for the time being as out stopper/closer of the future. If he keeps up his current pace we might expect to see him in a Reds uniform next year possibly. If our bullpen completely crumbles we might see him sooner.. Let's hope that ain't the case though. He can still heave it up there over 100 mph.
From Redsminorleagues.com

Interesting Stat on Joel Kuhnel

During the 2018 season he threw strikes on 70.8% of the pitches that he threw. That would have led the Major Leagues among the pitchers qualified for the ERA title. He had a swinging strike on 13.5% of the pitches that he threw. Of the 338 pitchers in the Major Leagues with at least 50 innings, a 13.5% rate would have ranked 59th – well above-average.

The bold italics (mine) is pretty damned good! 

Reply/Quote