Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the pitching woes finally over ?
(04-19-2019, 03:20 AM)grampahol Wrote: Joel Kuhnel is finally getting some love from the national press. https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/mlb-s-best-prospect-relievers  He's listed for the time being as out stopper/closer of the future. If he keeps up his current pace we might expect to see him in a Reds uniform next year possibly. If our bullpen completely crumbles we might see him sooner.. Let's hope that ain't the case though. He can still heave it up there over 100 mph.
From Redsminorleagues.com

Interesting Stat on Joel Kuhnel

During the 2018 season he threw strikes on 70.8% of the pitches that he threw. That would have led the Major Leagues among the pitchers qualified for the ERA title. He had a swinging strike on 13.5% of the pitches that he threw. Of the 338 pitchers in the Major Leagues with at least 50 innings, a 13.5% rate would have ranked 59th – well above-average.

The bold italics (mine) is pretty damned good! 

The way Iglesias has been going it's nice to know there's a good plan B.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
And our closer is getting it together. He's struck out all 9 batters he's faced in last 3 games !
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2019, 05:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The way Iglesias has been going it's nice to know there's a good plan B.

How about Kuhnel AND Iggy in the near future? With Garrett, RobSteve, Kuhnel and Iggy along with Hernandez and even Hughes that would be probably the most formidable pen in all of baseball if Kuhnel can do it in the big show as well..  Top em off with our current starting staff? Wheewwww! That's world series material for any team. They're near the point of having zero holes after a disastrous 2018. What a difference a year makes.. Only 2 pitchers were added that have contributed, Gray and Roark. Right now Roark, maybe Disco is/are the weakest links at this point, but things may change. Enjoy it while it lasts.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Our pitching is pretty amazing nowadays.

Our offense are going through an extremely low BABIP right now. As that trends back towards the normal, we could easily be a better than .500 team.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 10:52 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Our pitching is pretty amazing nowadays.

Our offense are going through an extremely low BABIP right now. As that trends back towards the normal, we could easily be a better than .500 team.

Seems like nobody wants to hit good old fashioned line drives anymore. Rose was the consummate line drive hitter seldom swinging for the fences. He did it occasionally, but not often. I wouldn't mind a Willie Keeler type hitter all of about 5' 4" and 100 pounds. 8591 AB, 2932 hits and could bunt anytime against any pitcher.. He only walked 524 times and struck out just 136 times in 19 years in the bigs..
The rule change of a foul ball on the 3rd strike being out was because of Keeler who could bunt just about any pitch endlessly.
"I keep my eyes clear and hit em where they ain't"
"Learn what pitch you can hit real good and wait for that pitch."
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote