Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any coaches who rival Marvin
We have to just realize we are doomed as long as Mike is in FO because Marvin is not going anywhere.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We have to just realize we are doomed as long as Mike is in FO because Marvin is not going anywhere.

Even if he was going somewhere, would it matter?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 12:16 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Browns have the current Dave Shula in Hue Jackson.

Yep.

My current biggest fear for this franchise is that Hue is fired from Cleveland after this season, Marv is not brought back... And the Brown family hires Hue to replace Marv.  Sick 

I wouldn't have said that a couple of months ago. So yes, I officially believe Hue is a worse head coach than Marvin Lewis. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: Even if he was going somewhere, would it matter?

It certainly couldn't hurt. Marv has a ton of control over this franchise right now. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 10:54 AM)bengals67 Wrote: As the the worst coach in NFL history? 

What other coach has spent 15 years with a franchise never to win a playoff game?

Does any coach have a worse record in playoff games?  Is there any other coach who played in 5 or more playoff games without winning at least one?

What other coach has such a lopsided record against their main rival in their division like Marvin's against the Steelers?

What other coach comes close to Marvin's abysmal record of home losses to his main rival?

What other coach can challenge Marvin's abysmal record in prime time?

Marvin Lewis leads in all the metrics for judging a bad coach. He is the Babe Ruth of losing NFL coaches. He can set records that will never be broken in this wonderful 50 year celebration of the Bengals franchise.

There are a lot of really knowledgeable people who post on this board and I would really be interested if anyone can name some other coach who can challenge Marvin for these great honors.

Marvin's tenure as a head coach really is unique in terms of NFL history. I posted these stats last October, and it really puts into perspective how much of an oddity it is to be around so long and have absolutely no postseason success at all:

(10-18-2016, 06:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: However, to truly evaluate Marvin, there is simply no way you can't factor in the playoff failures and the importance of them.  To demonstrate just how glaring, and incredibly improbable, losing 7 times in 7 opportunities is, just look at how he stacks up, or fails to, in terms of NFL historical comparisons:

Head coaches who had 10 or more years on the job: 67

Only Marvin (0-7), Mora (0-6), Jauron (0-1), and Kuharich/Van Brocklin (0-0) have failed to win a single playoff game.
55 of the 67 have won at least 2 playoff games.

Head coaches who had 13 or more years on the job: 37

34 of the 37 won at least 1 playoff game, while 32 have won 2 or more.

Head coaches that had 7 or more playoff appearances: 53

Marvin is the only member to have not won at least 2 playoff games.
50 members of this group won at least 3 playoff games.

Head coaches that had 7 or more playoff losses: 24

19 have 7 or more playoff wins, and Marvin is the only member without at least 2 playoff wins.

Head coaches that appeared exactly 7 playoff games: 8

7 of this group won 3 or more playoff wins in their 7 tries.

Head coaches that had 10 or more years and 5 or more playoff appearances: 54

Marvin is one of only 5 in this group without 2 or more playoff wins.

Head coaches that appeared in 5 or more playoff games: 81

79 have won at least one playoff game. Only Marvin and Mora failed to do so.
74 have won at least 2 playoffs games. 58 have won at least 3 playoff games.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:36 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: It certainly couldn't hurt. Marv has a ton of control over this franchise right now. 

I agree with you, but I still have ZERO faith in the FO, or that they will move on from Piano Man even if Marv is gone.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Marvin's tenure as a head coach really is unique in terms of NFL history. I posted these stats last October, and it really puts into perspective how much of an oddity it is to be around so long and have absolutely no postseason success at all:

Great post :andy: :andy: :andy:

I am staying a Bengals fan only because of the very nice ( and equally frustrated as me) people on this board.
Reply/Quote
There's no way to compare, because there has never been a coach in Marvin's position. Nobody stays on as head coach for 15 years unless they have won a Super Bowl let alone a playoff game.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: There's no way to compare, because there has never been a coach in Marvin's position.  Nobody stays on as head coach for 15 years unless they have won a Super Bowl let alone a playoff game.

It really is insane.

Marvin will be the only coach in NFL history to have at least 15 seasons and 7 playoff appearances...to not win at least 2.
Reply/Quote