Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we comfortable with Ogbuehi and Smith as our starting tackles next year?
We need four O-linemen next season including two tackles.

Only one should make the team as starter - Boling. Rest should be back ups at best, cept for Bodine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 10:19 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Are we comfortable with Ogbuehi and Smith as our starting tackles next year?

At first, my thinking was we needed to basically scrap the entire offensive line and start over during the off season. Ogbuehi was getting destroyed, Fisher was being embarrassed on a weekly basis and Smith is older and may not be a future player for us, depending on what happens in the off season.

But, I must say, they don't appear to be as awful as they were in the beginning of the season. Has Ogbuehi finally settled in? Or is it just a streak of 3 good games?

Keep in mind, I'm only judging with my eyes. I don't have PFF data to back this feeling up. I just know that, in the last few games, our Oline has held up relatively well in pass protection. And they've improved in run blocking as well!

Giving up 6 sacks in 4 games vs Tennessee, Denver, Cleveland and Pittsburgh is not bad at all.

And eclipsing 100 yards rushing and 5 ypc in each of the last 2 games against good run defense teams (No. 6 and No. 8 total rushing defense for Cleveland and Pittsburgh) is nothing to scoff at either.

I think we definitely need to upgrade the interior of our line, but I'm actually not AS worried about the tackles as I was early on in the season.

Am I crazy? Or are they improving?
They both should be back-ups!
Reply/Quote
What are everyone's thoughts on Quentin Nelson, the guard out of notre dame?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think you will see an offensive tackle drafted in the first 3 rounds unless someone falls to round 2 or 3 that is too good of a value to pass up.

I don't think they give up on Ced and Fisher just yet. I don't agree with it, but I get the feeling that's what will happen. I have actually been semi-impressed with Ced lately.

The quickest fix to the O-line is to draft a center (Price would make me very happy) and get a top tier OG (Nelson or Hernandez)
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 01:15 PM)corpjet Wrote: No we need to draft the "road grader" Orlando from Oklahoma....

THIS.....Get the tackle from Oklahoma with out First Pick and if he is gone the tackle from UCLA.  Both are starting Left Tackles and rated by CBS Sports to be in the Top 15 of this draft.  The Oklahoma Left Tackle is rated in the Top 5.  I think some Ohio State fans are rating their center a little high. I'm not saying he isn't good, but I guarantee you he isn't rated in the Top 15.  ......You take a Top 15 Left Tackle and you have Ogbuehi and Fisher at right tackle if they are both signed for 2018. If Smith is not signed for 2018, and wants big money, he may be gone again.  His free agency stock and price has fallen and he no longer deserves the big bucks his agent demanded a couple years ago. 

Drafting Munoz or Levi Jones at Left Tackle is how you work the draft.  If you have a draft pick in the Top 15, as Bengals will, and you are weak at Left Tackle, You Draft Left Tackle in One.  You do that because Left Tackle is an early First Round pick and the Left Tackles after Round One are not Anthony Munoz types.  Often there are few Left Tackles worth drafting after One....Ogbuehi and Fisher have proved the draft experts right who said both would be Right Tackle types in the NFL but not talented enough for Left Tackle. ...By drafting the Oklahoma Left Tackle or if he is gone, the UCLA Left Tackle, we get a Top 15 Left Tackle and Ogbuehi probably becomes are Right Tackle with Fisher as much needed back-up in case of injuries.  Smith and Winston might be good veteran back-ups if they sign cheap, because their big buck days are over. 

Round 2 and 3 is a good place to man up at Guard and Center. Do NOT be surprised if the Ohio State center is still there in 2 because Centers don't go Round One that often.  If we get the Oklahoma or UCLA Left Tackle if ONE, and one of the drafts top Guards and also one of the drafts top Centers in 2 and 3, THAT is what we need.   If we get a One or a Two for AJ McCarron as a restricted free agent tender, Then we can get Left Tackle, Guard and Center in the First Two Rounds. 

Bodine is not our biggest weakness, Left Tackle is.  Get the Left Tackle in One, and there will be a Top Guard and a Top Center with our next 2 picks....and DO NOT say we can't go O Line with the first 3 picks.  We can and MUST because we drafted running backs, wide receivers and defense heavy in the 2017 draft plus lost Whitworth and Zeitler.  We loaded up on all the other positions last year except for O Line, and it shows. We have the worst blocking in the NFL, and we will get worse and worse until we address it, so bite the bullet and draft Left Tackle first and next 2 picks on Guard and Center or vice versa and by get 3 new O Linemen early we are at least getting in blocking talent.  The AFC North is SMASH MOUTH Football, not Touch Football, and if you want to beat Ravens and Steelers and even the Browns, you better be able to FIRE off the O Line and BLOCK.  Otherwise it's back to 4 win seasons like 1990's.  WE CAN draft Left Tackle, Center and Guard with our first 3 picks because we have so many young WR's, RB's, D Line, CB's we have been loading up on in drafts. ...Now I hope we get the Comp Pick for McCarron and get LT, C and G in Rounds One and Two so team can draft other positions on Round 3 and on. MY HOPE is to get a 1 or 2 for McCarron, Take The Oklahoma Left Tackle who DOMINATES, Maybe get this Ohio State Center or someone as good in 2 and get a DeCastro or Zeitler type guard in 2 also. Try to draft Munoz, Montoya and Rimington in the first 2 rounds and have a 1980's type O Line.

One more reason you don't draft guard or center in One....In just a couple years he will be on another team because Mike Brown refuses to pay interior linemen. This is why when we do get good guards or centers they end up on other teams. Now Mike Brown has paid Left Tackles before. There is a chance a top left tackle plays 10 years for us and that is well worth the top pick. ..If we get Oklahomas Left Tackle and Ogbuehi at Right Tackle, that could be Play-Off Wins, especially if we add guard and center in round 2 with help of McCarron Comp Pick.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 10:19 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Are we comfortable with Ogbuehi and Smith as our starting tackles next year?

At first, my thinking was we needed to basically scrap the entire offensive line and start over during the off season. Ogbuehi was getting destroyed, Fisher was being embarrassed on a weekly basis and Smith is older and may not be a future player for us, depending on what happens in the off season.

At this point I would say I'm still not comfortable with the Oline in general...its good in the last couple of games that things have been improved but for the last couple of years its been arguably the weakest position group on the whole team. 

If we go a third year with that the case then that is frustrating beyond belief

On an individual level Bodine, Hopkins , Fisher and Og have been pretty awful a lot more times then they have been good.  I can't erase that from my memory so I don't trust them

lets see what the last few games bring...
Reply/Quote
Absolutely not.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 03:32 AM)kevin Wrote: THIS.....Get the tackle from Oklahoma with out First Pick and if he is gone the tackle from UCLA.  Both are starting Left Tackles and rated by CBS Sports to be in the Top 15 of this draft.  The Oklahoma Left Tackle is rated in the Top 5.  I think some Ohio State fans are rating their center a little high. I'm not saying he isn't good, but I guarantee you he isn't rated in the Top 15.  ......You take a Top 15 Left Tackle and you have Ogbuehi and Fisher at right tackle if they are both signed for 2018. If Smith is not signed for 2018, and wants big money, he may be gone again.  His free agency stock and price has fallen and he no longer deserves the big bucks his agent demanded a couple years ago. 

Drafting Munoz or Levi Jones at Left Tackle is how you work the draft.  If you have a draft pick in the Top 15, as Bengals will, and you are weak at Left Tackle, You Draft Left Tackle in One.  You do that because Left Tackle is an early First Round pick and the Left Tackles after Round One are not Anthony Munoz types.  Often there are few Left Tackles worth drafting after One....Ogbuehi and Fisher have proved the draft experts right who said both would be Right Tackle types in the NFL but not talented enough for Left Tackle. ...By drafting the Oklahoma Left Tackle or if he is gone, the UCLA Left Tackle, we get a Top 15 Left Tackle and Ogbuehi probably becomes are Right Tackle with Fisher as much needed back-up in case of injuries.  Smith and Winston might be good veteran back-ups if they sign cheap, because their big buck days are over. 

Round 2 and 3 is a good place to man up at Guard and Center. Do NOT be surprised if the Ohio State center is still there in 2 because Centers don't go Round One that often.  If we get the Oklahoma or UCLA Left Tackle if ONE, and one of the drafts top Guards and also one of the drafts top Centers in 2 and 3, THAT is what we need.   If we get a One or a Two for AJ McCarron as a restricted free agent tender, Then we can get Left Tackle, Guard and Center in the First Two Rounds. 

Bodine is not our biggest weakness, Left Tackle is.  Get the Left Tackle in One, and there will be a Top Guard and a Top Center with our next 2 picks....and DO NOT say we can't go O Line with the first 3 picks.  We can and MUST because we drafted running backs, wide receivers and defense heavy in the 2017 draft plus lost Whitworth and Zeitler.  We loaded up on all the other positions last year except for O Line, and it shows. We have the worst blocking in the NFL, and we will get worse and worse until we address it, so bite the bullet and draft Left Tackle first and next 2 picks on Guard and Center or vice versa and by get 3 new O Linemen early we are at least getting in blocking talent.  The AFC North is SMASH MOUTH Football, not Touch Football, and if you want to beat Ravens and Steelers and even the Browns, you better be able to FIRE off the O Line and BLOCK.  Otherwise it's back to 4 win seasons like 1990's.  WE CAN draft Left Tackle, Center and Guard with our first 3 picks because we have so many young WR's, RB's, D Line, CB's we have been loading up on in drafts.   ...Now I hope we get the Comp Pick for McCarron and get LT, C and G in Rounds One and Two so team can draft other positions on Round 3 and on.  MY HOPE is to get a 1 or 2 for McCarron,  Take The Oklahoma Left Tackle who DOMINATES, Maybe get this Ohio State Center or someone as good in 2 and get a DeCastro or Zeitler type guard in 2 also.  Try to draft Munoz, Montoya and Rimington in the first 2 rounds and have a 1980's type O Line.

One more reason you don't draft guard or center in One....In just a couple years he will be on another team because Mike Brown refuses to pay interior linemen. This is why when we do get good guards or centers they end up on other teams.  Now Mike Brown has paid Left Tackles before.  There is a chance a top left tackle plays 10 years for us and that is well worth the top pick. ..If we get Oklahomas Left Tackle and Ogbuehi at Right Tackle, that could be Play-Off Wins, especially if we add guard and center in round 2 with help of McCarron Comp Pick.

CBS sports is the worst draft site.   Mcglichey is a stud left tackle and will be drafted early on.  when was the last notre Dame high round lineman that failed? he n Nelson will be picked top 15 maybe top 10. the left tackle from Oklahoma is a DJ Flocker clone n Will play right tackle in the NFL. hes rated as a 2nd round pick..  dont know anything of the UCLA left tackle.  hes new to me. ive been following the draft since 1992 so i love this stuff
Reply/Quote
putting Ogbuehi at RT n Oklahoma Lt Brown at LT worse idea since Kirkpatrick at safety.. fml
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 11:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't see us signing any free agent tackles...so it would be drafting McGlinchey who struggles with speed rushers or some other OT.

I've identified a Center in free agency and a Guard that I'd target. IF we could atleast upgrade 2 positions that goes a long way towards stabilizing the line.

Honestly, I don't see us bringing in 4 new starters.

This.   I'd like to get at least one good tackle to anchor against speed rushers on the right side, but the middle is where we have the most trouble dealing with stunts.  We need to solidify one group.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 02:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My view on OT has been made known in the past. I think it has gotten to the point that we don't have to reach for an OT and folks saying we must draft one early, even before we know who all declares and how they test out most likely have no future as an NFL GM.

Ced has improved IMO over the last few weeks and I'm willing to give him until the end of the year to determine if I scrap him. Andre, when health is a good RT and it has shown ever since they moved him permanently to RT.

Now as to Center; that is a must.

Agreed. The fact we are running the ball says these guys are trending the right way. We may only need interior lineman. Plus we don’t know how they feel about fisher.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 10:16 PM)Storer50 Wrote: What are everyone's thoughts on Quentin Nelson, the guard out of notre dame?

Bengals won't draft a guard in the top 10.
But if the Bengals are picking in the teens, Nelson is still there, and they like him more than the OTs, pull the trigger.

Also, Nelson plays LG at ND. Is everyone confident he'd easily be able to play RG instead or is there concern about that transition?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 10:16 PM)Storer50 Wrote: What are everyone's thoughts on Quentin Nelson, the guard out of notre dame?

The best OG prospect that I've seen since following the draft (1992)

He is a better prospect than DeCastro was.  He's got size (6'5" 325) and he's athletic.  He would be my first round pick hands down if we don't go QB.
Reply/Quote
Went back and watched the Steelers game...to my eyes that was definitely Ced's best game. He was playing well at times and not even 'playing well for Ced' ..just looked a lot more comfortable and winning some battles.

He actually looked aggressive for the first time and was finishing blocks ..saw him actually getting some drive on his straight ahead run blocking too.

The bull rush is still his big Achilles heel though which scares me. Watt simply picked him up and drove him back a couple of times..when you really need your LT to prove himself on 3rd & long - no help - he's still a weak link.

I am looking forward to watching him till the end of the season to see if this is a blip or longer term progress. We need to add quality in the OLine all over...but if we can avoid reaching for an OT as a panic measure that helps
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 01:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Agreed.    The fact we are running the ball says these guys are trending the right way.    We may only need interior lineman.    Plus we don’t know how they feel about fisher.

According to PFF Hopkins and Boiling have had there best games of the season these past two games.  We might be better because running the ball because of those two.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 04:42 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: According to PFF Hopkins and Boiling have had there best games of the season these past two games.  We might be better because running the ball because of those two.

Either way. It’s about Group success.
Reply/Quote
The question isn't am I comfortable with Ogbuehi and Smith as tackles.

That is really not the issue to me.

If Paul Alexander is still coaching the O-line, it doesn't matter who we have at tackle or guard or center. Get a new coach and a new voice and use a scheme that plays to the strength of the guys you have.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Going into the season that is fine. Doesnt mean I dont want new players at the position.

Andre doesnt have much longer. Winston is just wasting a roster spot as I type this we could have grabbed a tackle any tackle off of a practice squad and he would have more upside we could be developing. Fisher is going into the final year of his deal and has a very concerning medical issue.

Add two picks to the position is a necessity
Reply/Quote
I don't care who we draft as an o-lineman, they need to be coached, the linemen that are not playing are getting nothing, they don't spend any time practicing with the team. One would think they would be groomed to play, not just watch.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 01:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The best OG prospect that I've seen since following the draft (1992)

He is a better prospect than DeCastro was.  He's got size (6'5" 325) and he's athletic.  He would be my first round pick hands down if we don't go QB.

I'd agree with this. I don't care if  the guy is an interior linemen, if he's a stud and can anchor ur line for the next decade, u take him.  

I also agree that i'd prefer QB.
Reply/Quote