Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we comfortable with Ogbuehi and Smith as our starting tackles next year?
Even with Cedric Ogbuehi and Andre Smith they still need a tackle because they have very little depth on the offensive line.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 12:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: If you are ok with so-so play at their absolute best then you'll keep them.

If you want a good OL you'll replace them.

We won't even bother looking for a starting OT in free agency. The best you can hope for out of this front office is a draft pick, probably in the later rounds.

If you look at the upcoming FAs, the only FA OT to consider that would be a near-guaranteed upgrade will be Nate Solder, and that's assuming he somehow isn't re-signed or tagged by the Pats. That leaves the draft. And there aren't any definitive upgrades for both OT spots and if you do try to do both in the first two rounds you're sacrificing other positions to do so.

The way I look at it is Smith has been the best OT of the group and the OL has done well in the past with him in. So I'm looking to re-sign him to give insurance. I then look to take an OT in the first two rounds to compete with Ogbuehi for LT duties. If the selected OT is a clear upgrade, great. If not, he likely could take over for Smith at RT at some point. Or Smith could take over for Ogbuehi at LT and the new OT take over at RT as a rookie.

Then take interior OL in the third (and maybe fourth) round(s), as this should be a deep class there and the Bengals should be able to find some good players still.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
According to PFF during the past two weeks Hopkins and Boiling have been good Olineman. If they keep it up we might be able to ignore the guard position this offseason. Tackle needs to improve though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 12:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Four

Oh, I was figuring we'd win out and go lose in the wild card 

Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 01:03 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: According to PFF during the past two weeks Hopkins and Boiling have been good Olineman. If they keep it up we might be able to ignore the guard position this offseason. Tackle needs to improve though.

And center. Please, Mike Brown, upgrade the center position properly this offseason.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 01:04 PM)Brimey Wrote: Oh, I was figuring we'd win out and go lose in the wild card 

Wink

[Image: katt-williams-dafuq.jpg]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
No we need to draft the "road grader" Orlando from Oklahoma....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Center is our worst position and we could upgrade that in the draft for sure. But will we?

Reply/Quote
Let's remember here, folks, this is the same front office that after last season, thought we were ok at OL heading into this season. This could be a good barometer for who the new HC is next season. If he says the OL is fine without making any changes, then we know Brown failed in picking the HC.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 01:03 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: According to PFF during the past two weeks Hopkins and Boiling have been good Olineman. If they keep it up we might be able to ignore the guard position this offseason. Tackle needs to improve though.

Beat me to it.  I'm not so sure Smith and Og are actually playing THAT much better.....I think the interior has improved the most, and thus, there is now more pockets for the QB to step into, versus into a defender, and better push in the run game.  Even Blodine has looked better.  As a whole, the entire unit has improved, but the interior has made the biggest gains in my eyes.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 01:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Center is our worst position and we could upgrade that in the draft for sure. But will we?

Yes with a 6th round comp pic.....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
My view on OT has been made known in the past. I think it has gotten to the point that we don't have to reach for an OT and folks saying we must draft one early, even before we know who all declares and how they test out most likely have no future as an NFL GM.

Ced has improved IMO over the last few weeks and I'm willing to give him until the end of the year to determine if I scrap him. Andre, when health is a good RT and it has shown ever since they moved him permanently to RT.

Now as to Center; that is a must.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Are we comfortable with Ogbuehi and Smith as our starting tackles next year ?
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 02:20 PM)kevin Wrote: Are we comfortable with Ogbuehi and Smith as our starting tackles next year ?

NO WAY  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Lets see: Ced makes about $1.7 million next year.

IF we sign a free agent Tackle it will cost probably $8-10 million.

I need to consult my Magic 8 Ball to see what the Bengals will do.
Reply/Quote
We definitely need to address tackle early in the draft ,anybody that feels comfortable going forward with the tackles we have are crazy. Fisher may have been wrose then Ogbuehi this year constantly whiffing on blocks plus he’s in the last year of his contract next year. Ogbuehi has played better there’s only one way up from rock bottom but I’m not confident going forward with him as are starting LT , plus we’re one year away from making the descion to pick up his fifth year option. Andre Smith is a free agent ,on the wrong side of 30, has a bad injury history plus his play is on the decline. I looked at the tackle free agent class next year and it’s awful. I heard people mention singing Nate Solder. I’m from New England this guy has been bad the last two years and his play is on a sharp decline he was average at best in his prime.
Reply/Quote
Hell no
Reply/Quote
The offensive tackles in Cincinnati will be Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher in 2018 and beyond. If Paul Alexander stuck with Russell Bodine, Kyle Cook, and Eric Ghiaciuc that long, replacing Ogbuehi or Fisher is not even up for debate. They’re here for the long haul.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely not !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 09:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The offensive tackles in Cincinnati will be Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher in 2018 and beyond.  If Paul Alexander stuck with Russell Bodine, Kyle Cook, and Eric Ghiaciuc that long, replacing Ogbuehi or Fisher is not even up for debate.  They’re here for the long haul.

True

But if I get my wish PA would be the first person replaced. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote