Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we drafting to win now?
The Bengals are drafting to have future replacements for pricy veterans once Burrow, Chase, and possibly Higgins get veteran contracts.
Bengals have always prioritized sustainability.
I can't recall them ever taking an approach like the Rams did where they went all in to win a championship knowing that they'd have some down years shortly thereafter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 12:50 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Remember at that point EVERY team had also passed on Myles Murphy. 
Michael Mayer was picked 7 picks later so it is not an outrageous of a pick.
I think Murphy may end up being better long term but his value to us in 2024 will not be as significant as Mayer or a top RB.
I don't know what the cost would have been to land a RB since the 2 were picked so early.

So yes, I would have picked Mayer and possibly moved up to land Robinson or Gibbs if we did not have to give up too much.
I was kind of hoping going into the draft that RB's would fall and we could have traded Jonah Willliams to move up.

Since you and I are not privvy to this information we can only rely on what other teams valued. 
The Lions and the Falcons really valued those 2 Running Backs enough to pick them in the top 12.

All we can do is look back at this draft in 3-4 years and see how these players careers progressed and were the better value.

It was just a suggestion.

Drafting the 5th option in this offense, in the 1st Rd, doesnt really make a ton of sense, especially at a postion that does nothing to soften the blow of losing a highly paid player and saves almost zero dollars in the 5th yr.

You dont know the cost of moving up?  We would have had to give up every other draft pick in this draft, or very high ones in this and next year's draft to acquire Bijon or Gibbs.  The cost was enormous.

In what world would the Bengals trade their starting RT to move up and draft a rookie RB?

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 12:50 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Remember at that point EVERY team had also passed on Myles Murphy. 
Michael Mayer was picked 7 picks later so it is not an outrageous of a pick.
I think Murphy may end up being better long term but his value to us in 2024 will not be as significant as Mayer or a top RB.
I don't know what the cost would have been to land a RB since the 2 were picked so early.

So yes, I would have picked Mayer and possibly moved up to land Robinson or Gibbs if we did not have to give up too much.
I was kind of hoping going into the draft that RB's would fall and we could have traded Jonah Willliams to move up.
Since you and I are not privvy to this information we can only rely on what other teams valued. 
The Lions and the Falcons really valued those 2 Running Backs enough to pick them in the top 12.

All we can do is look back at this draft in 3-4 years and see how these players careers progressed and were the better value.

It was just a suggestion.

Drafting to win a Super Bowl vs Sustaining (AFC top team). LA Rams went all in. They won a Super Bowl. But they barely won one. They are a mess and predicted to win 6.5 games and finish near the bottom of the NFC. I know somebody that knows as much about them as anybody not on the payroll. He’s says they are in trouble. Buffalo went all in with Von Miller he got hurt. When they didn’t make the AFC Championship the Monday after their GM Brandon Beane whined like a 2 year old when he woke up. His salary cap is a mess. I think they’ve missed their window.

The Bengals addressed what hurt them down the road last year? Is that not trying to win a SB? People too damn tied up with TE. Okay they struck out. Foster Moreau was coming he got cancer. Drafting one in the draft didn’t fall right. But back to our draft. Hendrickson our best pass rusher was hurt and that was an issue. So we drafted Murphy who was labeled by the the National Advisory Big Board Consensus ( 70 mock drafts of data) as the steal of the draft. For depth and Trey’s eventual replacement. Missing on him to draft up and lose several draft choices is beyond idiotic. Instead we got the steal of the draft at the #2 position on any team…. an edge rusher. Okay our best corner tore his ACL Awouzie and that certainly weakened us. In the second round we selected D J Turner. Todd McShay said he was our best pick. Had him graded near the first round.

In Free Agency we got Orlando Brown. But some said why no more OL help? Well they just have one starting spot open. Carman, Collins , and Jonah will battle it out. I really think Jonah must have come around on RT. Collins is working hard and Carman is a new man. They signed Cody Ford G/T for depth.

I don’t get the talk about we aren’t trying to win a Super Bowl. We are being calculated and smart
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2023, 02:52 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t get the talk about we aren’t trying to win a Super Bowl. We are being calculated and smart

Because idiot fans think they're smarter than Duke Tobin, which is sad and hilarious at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2023, 03:04 PM)Stewy Wrote: Because idiot fans think they're smarter than Duke Tobin, which is sad and hilarious at the same time.

I know that Zac and Duke have grown close and work together famously currently. What has made Duke so much better? Zac and the combination of less Mike Brown interference? I’m curious. He’s got it rolling. I’m sure he’s finally got full control with Zac’s contribution and oversight. But Zac sounds like he’s staying out of the way. Not that he’s not consulted completely but it really seems like it’s seem less now.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The Athletic Power Rankings after Draft
2. Cincinnati Bengals

Draft takeaway: If you were to build a draft plan around limiting the other great quarterbacks in your conference, it would probably look something like edge-cornerback-safety in the first three rounds. With Myles Murphy, DJ Turner and Jordan Battle, that’s what Cincinnati did.

Hype man: We might have the top-to-bottom best offensive roster in the league — and I’m telling you right now, sixth-round pick Andrei Iosivas is gonna be the steal of the draft.

Reply/Quote
Do any teams draft to win now? I guess teams that trade away their future to get players on the roster (think Rams) draft to win now, but that wasn't drafting, that was mortgaging your future to sign a few expensive FAs and hope for no injuries.
Drafting a player that will help you win now means drafting a top 10 pick. KC traded from 29 to 10 to get Mahomes. But they already had a winning record; they were drafting at 29.
Winning year over year is a product of good team-building and coaching. Winning championships requires luck. The Bengals are just a few breaks away.
Reply/Quote
It's a smart draft because it has immediate "win now" players such as Murphy in the pass rush rotation & Battle/Jones/Robbins as immediate special teams contributors. Tuner and Battle both have a chance to compete and earn playing time in the backfield and Brown has an opportunity to compete and secure a spot on the RB depth chart.

It's also a smart draft for future considerations with emphasis on the defensive players taken. As others are posting, management needs affordable contracts on defense after paying Burrow, Chase, and likely Higgins.
Reply/Quote
We are winning Now so we are drafting to maintain the Winning into the future
Reply/Quote
We have a really good team. And all 8 picks have a good path for making the team. I would call that helping us win.
Reply/Quote