Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we going into the post season “healthy”, compared to last year.
At this point, we are in a similar position. Hopefully the injury bug is behind us, it’s been a tough year.

Missed games by (key contributors):
Awuzie
Collins
Mixon
Boyd
Hurst
Chase
Higgins
Hendrickson
Hubbard
Reader
Likely Cappa next week

Is our OL, minus collins and Cappa, better than last years? Is Scharping able to hold up?

For the most part, this is the same team as last year, which includes getting over the Super Bowl hangover, appendectomy of burrow, a year of more experience and riding an 8 game winning streak (through most of the injuries listed above). I would be remissed if I left out how huge having Karras is as well.

So, maybe the title shouldn’t be, are we healthier than last year, but are we “better” than last year?

I think so. I also hope being a week removed from MNF helps continue to get our focus right.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 12:10 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: At this point, we are in a similar position.  Hopefully the injury bug is behind us, it’s been a tough year.

Awuzie
Collins
Mixon
Boyd
Hurst
Chase
Higgins
Hendrickson
Hubbard
Reader
Likely Cappa next week

Is our OL, minus collins and Cappa, better than last years?  Is Scharping able to hold up?

For the most part, this is the same team as last year, which includes getting over the Super Bowl hangover, appendectomy of burrow, a year of more experience and riding an 8 game winning streak (through most of the injuries listed above).  I would be remissed if I left out how huge having Karras is as well.

So, maybe the title shouldn’t be, are we healthier than last year, but are we “better” than last year?

I think so.  I also hope being a week removed from MNF helps continue to get our focus right.

No, we are worse off. Not even close.

Last year, we were down Reiff (RT) and CJ (starting TE). 

This year we are down Collins (RT), Cappa (RG), Chido (CB1), and Hendrickson is playing through a broken wrist. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 01:34 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: No, we are worse off. Not even close.

Last year, we were down Reiff (RT) and CJ (starting TE). 

This year we are down Collins (RT), Cappa (RG), Chido (CB1), and Hendrickson is playing through a broken wrist. 

Spain was playing injured, and Adeniji was playing out of position last year. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 10:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Spain was playing injured, and Adeniji was playing out of position last year. 

That’s kind of the point of my post.

I’ll ask very pointedly, are we better now than 12 months ago?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 10:22 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: That’s kind of the point of my post.  

I’ll ask very pointedly, are we better now than 12 months ago?

I think the line is better, even with the right side down two starters. I think we are worse in the back end missing Awuzie. I'd say we're even everywhere else. 
Reply/Quote
Wasn't Wilson playing through a torn labrum last year?
Reply/Quote
I think it is more even across the league

Buffalo missing Von Miller
KC lost Tyreek
SF out a starting QB, which may actually help them

We were almost good enough to win last year and there are no super teams like the rams were last year
Reply/Quote
I don't know if we are healthier, but we are definitely better.

Virtually every player, with few exceptions are ascending NFL players
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 11:00 AM)BengalBob Wrote: I don't know if we are healthier, but we are definitely better.

Right. Last year I thought if we were missing Wilson we would be screwed. This year it's Playoff P I worry will get hurt. That man has become a game wrecker since his interception against the Raiders. I don't know if he's just more confident, or got a taste and liked it, but his play shot straight up after that catch.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 10:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think the line is better, even with the right side down two starters. I think we are worse in the back end missing Awuzie. I'd say we're even everywhere else. 

(01-11-2023, 11:00 AM)BengalBob Wrote: I don't know if we are healthier, but we are definitely better.

Agree on both counts.

Chido is the big loss.  LC?  Not a huge loss, as I don't think his impact was anywhere near what they thought it would be.  Still, the OL is better than last year's, even with the loss of LC and Cappa.

I think we've improved with Hurst being in the lineup as our TE (CJ wasn't nearly as good of a  player for the Jets they thought he'd be).

Burrow is better now than he was then...better decisions, better understanding of the offense....Chase, Boyd and Higgins (if he's healthy) are about the same.concerned because it seems we've seen a decline in Mixon as a RB (he's still good in space as a pass catcher).  That started last year.  Perrine has been there to take off some of the load, so that mitigates part of it. 
Reply/Quote
Worse, but I think the o-line will fair better compared to last year.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 10:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Spain was playing injured, and Adeniji was playing out of position last year. 

It is pretty apparent Adeniji can't handle the bigger, more powerful IDL compared to the smaller, faster edge guys.
He's a better fit outside where he can better utilize his athleticism and not get as easily pushed back on skates.
With that said, I'm still worried somewhat about him starting given he's allowed 7 pressures the past two games he's started.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 05:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It is pretty apparent Adeniji can't handle the bigger, more powerful IDL compared to the smaller, faster edge guys.
He's a better fit outside where he can better utilize his athleticism and not get as easily pushed back on skates.
With that said, I'm still worried somewhat about him starting given he's allowed 7 pressures the past two games he's started.

but is there a better option that will be ready to play in a few days?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 12:10 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: At this point, we are in a similar position.  Hopefully the injury bug is behind us, it’s been a tough year.

Awuzie
Collins
Mixon
Boyd
Hurst
Chase
Higgins
Hendrickson
Hubbard
Reader
Likely Cappa next week

Is our OL, minus collins and Cappa, better than last years?  Is Scharping able to hold up?

For the most part, this is the same team as last year, which includes getting over the Super Bowl hangover, appendectomy of burrow, a year of more experience and riding an 8 game winning streak (through most of the injuries listed above).  I would be remissed if I left out how huge having Karras is as well.

I think so.  I also hope being a week removed from MNF helps continue to get our focus right.

I'd probably put the roster about on par with last year's.

With Cappa and Collins out, it's about the same OL as last year.
Scharping is probably better than Adeniji at OG and Adeniji might be better than Prince at OT, but it's not head-and-shoulders better.
Bengals have basically the same DL they had last year - Hendrickson, Reader, Hill, Hubbard.
Might have better depth than last year though with Ossai outside and Tupou inside.
DBs somewhat worse than last year because Awuzie is out.

Last year's roster was able to get to the Super Bowl, and I think this roster can too if things go right.

One other thing is that this offense has seemed to evolve throughout this year.
It's now less reliant on a big play to score points.
That should help keep the offense there longer and keep the defense fresh.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 05:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: but is there a better option that will be ready to play in a few days?

Probably not.
But many of us said the depth on this OL was not good from the beginning.
This is unfortunately what the team has to deal with now for not putting better insurance behind their starters.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 10:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think the line is better, even with the right side down two starters. I think we are worse in the back end missing Awuzie. I'd say we're even everywhere else. 

Feel the same. Still like this OL much better than our OL last postseason. Thank God CTB and Apple has stepped up and played
well as Awuzie was our best Corner by far. He will always be missed.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 10:48 AM)Earendil Wrote: Wasn't Wilson playing through a torn labrum last year?

As was Tee, I believe.

I think we just have a tendency to forget. I feel like we're in better shape than last year. The RS of the line was a total wild card (no pun intended), whereas this year you have Scharping- a proven vet, albeit changing sides- and Adeniji, who's seen the bright lights before. For that matter, so has Prince behind him. The pool of experience was very limited last year (Smith, Carman and Hill were all rookies.... at least they could step up in a pinch now). Hopkins was nursing his ACL recovery throughout the season and he was a week-to-week performer at best.

The one thing we weren't dealing with last year was Hubbard. It remains to be seen how/whether that'll hurt* us now. But Hendrickson, Wilson, Sample and Chido were all banged up. And that's not even mentioning Ogunjobi, whose injury against the Raiders might be seen in the same category as Cappa's this year.

I think they're playing through a lot that we don't know of, but we're still in a better spot. And regardless, even holding the injuries constant, we're in a far better position to withstand them this year imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2023, 05:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Probably not.
But many of us said the depth on this OL was not good from the beginning.
This is unfortunately what the team has to deal with now for not putting better insurance behind their starters.

i am in that boat...  We upgraded the front line but the line was thin.   But every team has injuries overcoming them is part of the game.   good OL are in very sort supply across the league
Reply/Quote