Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Are we going to war?
(07-19-2023, 09:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So if you could wave a magic wand and have been born in any year, what would you choose?

I don't hate the generation I'm in. But if I could change it, maybe being born in the 50's. I was born in 1967, so I missed out on some really good stuff and disco was just becoming popular. Didn't care for disco. Well, except for Funky Town. I liked Funky Town. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 09:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have no idea if it's still true? Everything has changed lately, understatement of the century huh? But it used to be all "regular" enlistments were for 8 years. 4 active 4 inactive reserve. I'm no expert on this but I believe you could also sign up in certain MOS's and such for 6 years, 2 regular active, 2 active reserve (the weekend warriors) and 2 inactive reserve.

But yes I believe a war of some type, somewhere, is on the horizon. Just too much crap going on! The tipping point is probably really close. 

Regardless if we're accurate, we're pretty darn close.  Cool 

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 10:07 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't hate the generation I'm in. But if I could change it, maybe being born in the 50's. I was born in 1967, so I missed out on some really good stuff and disco was just becoming popular. Didn't care for disco. Well, except for Funky Town. I liked Funky Town. 

Yes you did. I was 16 in 1967. Disco was popular 10 years later, signaling national downfall in musical taste.

Beatles and Stones dominated the rock music scene.  Soul and Blues were reaching a mass white audience.

Bob Dylan, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead. Pink Floyd. Sly and the Family Stone. Ike and Tina.
Jimi Hendrix--well, Woodstock. nuff said.

Yardbirds were prepping Clapton and Page for a great run in the '70s.

Pop diversity and innovation were incredible, compared to the 50s.  
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 09:40 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We still had innocence, kids today are robbed of all of that. I feel sorry for them.

Dang, now that's a pretty good way of looking at it.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 10:29 AM)Dill Wrote: Yes you did. I was 16 in 1967. Disco was popular 10 years later, signaling national downfall in musical taste.

Beatles and Stones dominated the rock music scene.  Soul and Blues were reaching a mass white audience.

Bob Dylan, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead. Pink Floyd. Sly and the Family Stone. Ike and Tina.
Jimi Hendrix--well, Woodstock. nuff said.

Yardbirds were prepping Clapton and Page for a great run in the '70s.

Pop diversity and innovation were incredible, compared to the 50s.  

I freaken love Pink Floyd. You list a lot of great musicians and I'm impressed by your taste.

Reply/Quote
We've gone from the possibilities of the US getting into another war to me considering posting about the social and political ramifications behind the disco backlash...what have we done?

(07-19-2023, 11:00 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I freaken love Pink Floyd. You list a lot of great musicians and I'm impressed by your taste.

Odd thing most people can't or won't grasp is that Pink Floyd's most enduring radio hit is from 1979 and has a disco groove.  GASP!
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 12:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We've gone from the possibilities of the US getting into another war to me considering posting about the social and political ramifications behind the disco backlash...what have we done?

Odd thing most people can't or won't grasp is that Pink Floyd's most enduring radio hit is from 1979 and has a disco groove.  GASP!

Make MUSIC, not war!
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 11:00 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I freaken love Pink Floyd. You list a lot of great musicians and I'm impressed by your taste.

Had a front row radio seat to the big change--before and after Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band!

Far side of the Moon--just another example of how musicians were actually exploring sound, 

going in new directions. Do you remember Wildcats? He and I would reminisce over the phone about 60s groups.

I don't listen that much any more, but it doesn't seem like the music of today is that much different from

20 years ago. Rap was the last major innovation. 

Not to say there aren't great artists--just that I don't see much change any more.  

Maybe younger folks can contest that. I just haven't followed new music that much. Car radio is turned to oldies and "vinyl." 
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 02:15 PM)Dill Wrote: Far side of the Moon--just another example of how musicians were actually exploring sound, 

Dill, did you just turn Pink Floyd’s SMASH album into a Gary Larson comic strip???

I can no longer take you seriously LOL
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 03:09 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Dill, did you just turn Pink Floyd’s SMASH album into a Gary Larson comic strip???

I can no longer take you seriously LOL

Another advantage of age--only those of us who went to grade school in the '50s can truly appreciate the Larson genius.

[Image: far-side-gary-larson-01.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Love that Larson stuff. So creative. 
Reply/Quote
That's an interesting discussion.

If you discount technology I would say my Dad's generation born in the early 50s young adult through the 70s and into the 80s had it easier than me. There were alot of booms economically during that period with Plastics, Chemcials, Computers, and Automotive. Also that was a period when higher education was becoming more available to everyone without the crushing federal debt.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 09:51 PM)Synric Wrote: That's an interesting discussion.

If you discount technology I would say my Dad's generation born in the early 50s young adult through the 70s and into the 80s had it easier than me. There were alot of booms economically during that period with Plastics, Chemcials, Computers, and Automotive. Also that was a period when higher education was becoming more available to everyone without the crushing federal debt.

As this forum's official representative of that generation, I agree with you regarding economic opportunity.

I've mentioned before that I paid off my ed loans in about three years. (I needed about $5,000 in the 70s. My daughter needed 50,000+ in the 2000s.)

We were the last generation whose members universally expected to do better than their parents in terms of
education and wealth--and usually did.

Parents expected that too, and helped and applauded. 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 12:02 PM)Dill Wrote: As this forum's official representative of that generation, I agree with you regarding economic opportunity.

I've mentioned before that I paid off my ed loans in about three years. (I needed about $5,000 in the 70s. My daughter needed 50,000+ in the 2000s.)

We were the last generation whose members universally expected to do better than their parents in terms of
education and wealth--and usually did.

Parents expected that too, and helped and applauded. 

That basically encapsulates the existential dread of modern America.  When I was a kid my parents expected me to do better than them, and I had no reason to doubt them.  My kid does great in school and could do anything if he's motivated, but I often find myself expecting him to live with us into adulthood by virtue of the cost of living.  

Not a feel-good thought process at all.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2023, 02:15 PM)Dill Wrote: Had a front row radio seat to the big change--before and after Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band!

Far side of the Moon--just another example of how musicians were actually exploring sound, 

going in new directions. Do you remember Wildcats? He and I would reminisce over the phone about 60s groups.

I don't listen that much any more, but it doesn't seem like the music of today is that much different from

20 years ago. Rap was the last major innovation. 

Not to say there aren't great artists--just that I don't see much change any more.  

Maybe younger folks can contest that. I just haven't followed new music that much. Car radio is turned to oldies and "vinyl." 

You mention Wildcats, which takes me back.  I had a great deal of admiration for him, and, if I may be so bold, it was at least slightly reciprocated.  I also recall his constant messages to us both that we should argue civilly and that our failure to do so made his job as a mod much more difficult.  There's probably not a person I'll never meet who I'll feel I'd let down more than him.  I'm not big on meeting people from the internet in real life, but I respected him as much as any person I'd met in that regard.  I do hope wherever he is he's enjoying himself, he certainly deserves it.
Reply/Quote